9mm or 12 Gage - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 9mm or 12 Gage

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #76
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Internet myth. It was an email myth before the internet. A mailing myth before then.
Paleantologists have actually found cave painting that decipher to "Ooog. Oooog. You no make own spear Ooog. If Ooog use homemade spear it go badly in court of rock. Buy my spear Ooog. It's professional spear. Judge say professional spear OK to stab people, but not homemade spear."

No-one I've ever seen post it has ever been post a single case where it has ever been a factor in any ruling ever made.
Civil court, not criminal. Maybe I used the wrong term for the "offense".

I'll look back to see if I can find the case I read about. I didn't read about it on the internet either. It was published in a book witten by Massad Ayoob. I don't remember if he was an expert witness for that one or not. I did look up more details about it on my own b/c I was interested.

Everybody is so interested in not going to jail they forget ALL about civil suits putting them on the streets.

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I didn't say anything about criminal court. Maybe I should have said prosecuting attorney, instead of prosecutor (city/county/state). I'm talking solely about civil court. I've read about cases where the defendant was cleared in criminal court, just to lose everything in civil court.
Criminal court is cut and dry. Was the shooting justifiable self defense? Civil court is where the gloves come off. The (shooting) victim's family finds the sleaziest lawyer in an effort to get every last penny from you (or your insurance).
In some states, like FL, being cleared for self defence makes you immune to civil suits related to the shooting. Other states that dont have a law on the books spelling it out may have case law with the same effect.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #78
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
In some states, like FL, being cleared for self defence makes you immune to civil suits related to the shooting. Other states that dont have a law on the books spelling it out may have case law with the same effect.
And in other states there are no laws or precedents protecting the shooter. I'm talking to them.

I'm just telling people to be aware. Ignorance is never a good excuse. If someone is at risk of a civil suit and hadn't thought past criminal court, I'm sure they appriciate my post.

When I first became interested in carrying, I read many books from respected experts with first hand experience in different areas of self defense. I'll listen to (and repeat) these guys' advice before anything I read from John Smith on the interwebz. I'm still adding to my library and expanding my knowledge base. So far, none of the legal advice contradicts itself. They all say to be aware of (and follow) the laws in the jurisdiction you're in. They relay factual info of different places saying, "this is the kind of thing to be aware of." That's all I'm doing here, so get off my nuts.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #79
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
And in other states there are no laws or precedents protecting the shooter. I'm talking to them.

I'm just telling people to be aware. Ignorance is never a good excuse. If someone is at risk of a civil suit and hadn't thought past criminal court, I'm sure they appriciate my post.

When I first became interested in carrying, I read many books from respected experts with first hand experience in different areas of self defense. I'll listen to (and repeat) these guys' advice before anything I read from John Smith on the interwebz. I'm still adding to my library and expanding my knowledge base. So far, none of the legal advice contradicts itself.
It is important to understand the law in your state. In MO if you are found innocent in criminal court and the opposition still wants to go after you in civil they need to fund it. If they win in civil court then they can recoup that expense. In Missouri there have been stories making the new where the bad guy breaks in, the resident shoots and kills the bad guy and charger are not even filled against the good guy.

Law in my state is on the side of the good guy. I can shoot you if you break in, I don't need to prove anything other than that. As far as protecting yourself or others (outside the home) you can use deadly force against a threat (deadly or cause great physical harm to include rape) the test is intent, opportunity and ability. This isnít as cut and dry as if somebody breaks in.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

One last thing.
The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry
The Gun Digest Book of Combat Gunnery
Both are written by Massad Ayoob.
Both are EXCELLENT resources for gun ownership and the carry lifestyle. I read them both before even buying my first gun. There are others but those two cover the bulk of the info.

Also, didn't have a clue who Massad was before buying those books.
Quote:
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #81
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

It's pretty simple fellas. Train with reloads and use factory loads for duty/defense.
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #82
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
When have you seen or heard of anybody who received a greater sentence or was convicted for using hand loaded (legal) rounds? I am not saying use or not use reloads, but I think it is a myth that using hand loaded rounds will get you in more trouble.

That would be saying it is wrong to use a .45 instead of a .22 because .45 make bigger deeper holes and kills worse.

It is a prosecutorís job to spin everything, same as the defending lawyers. That is what lawyers do.
I havent heard of a case where handloads have been used but Harold Fish was convicted of murder and the jurors said the prosecutor convinced them that Fish was up to no good carrying an unusually powerful gun (10mm) and those evil hollow point bullets. Fish's defense was not very good IMHO.

http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/200...-for-whom.html
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #83
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This won't kill or incapacitate quickly enough for a self defense situation.

If you read above you will see I don't take gelatin test seriously. Even using a gelatin test I am curious how far the round would have penetrated with a layer or two of clothing on?

Nothing wrong with experimentation, just as long if the testing is at least somewhat realistic.
These are all things I would like to test. I agree that gelatin testing is far from perfect but it does give a quantifiable result.

As to the layers of clothing, I think these would have little to no impact. As I said before, it does not break up instantly even at 4200FPS. I was actually able to test this against a small bit of Kevlar body armor. It was just a small sample scrap, and I shot 3 9mm bullets into it before I tested the .22-250, but it stopped the 9mm fmj with no issue and the .22-250 came out the other side. Unfortunately I did not have paper setup behind it to see what condition it was in and I have no source for more Kevlar.

And when I said penetration was a bit shallow, I am not talking about buckshot shallow. These were making it to around 10". I will see if I can find the pictures because I can tell you they looked nasty.

I actually agree with you though. I think the most effective defense rounds make two holes. One on the way in and one on the way out.
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #84
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes97 View Post
These are all things I would like to test. I agree that gelatin testing is far from perfect but it does give a quantifiable result.

As to the layers of clothing, I think these would have little to no impact. As I said before, it does not break up instantly even at 4200FPS. I was actually able to test this against a small bit of Kevlar body armor. It was just a small sample scrap, and I shot 3 9mm bullets into it before I tested the .22-250, but it stopped the 9mm fmj with no issue and the .22-250 came out the other side. Unfortunately I did not have paper setup behind it to see what condition it was in and I have no source for more Kevlar.

And when I said penetration was a bit shallow, I am not talking about buckshot shallow. These were making it to around 10". I will see if I can find the pictures because I can tell you they looked nasty.

I actually agree with you though. I think the most effective defense rounds make two holes. One on the way in and one on the way out.
If you testing rounds that are going 4000 fps we are not talking handguns, shotguns or rounds used in a gun you would use to defend your home.

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #85
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you testing rounds that are going 4000 fps we are not talking handguns, shotguns or rounds used in a gun you would use to defend your home.
I am not sure you are following along. I mentioned the experiment in response to a comment about using an AR15 for home defense.

I started with the .22-250 because if it didn't work at 4000 fps it wasn't going to work at 3000 and the bolt action is so much easier to work with.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #86
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've been doing more research into preferred loads for .223 for home defense, found some interesting ballistic tests. A light-weight soft point or hollow-point seems a mediocre choice for home defense. Underpenetration is more of a concern for me as I do more research. The issue I'm reading about is that the much-higher velocities cause even the heavier .223 rounds to come apart quickly with their first impact. The heavier bullet weight with lower velocity from a pistol seems to typically penetrate further. So I'm re-evaluating my choice in ammo but I still think the weapon is an excellent choice.

So my concern for multiple-wall penetration is being alleviated a little. There are number of factors I hadn't considered. I guess it always pays to do research.

Sorry for the OT, OP.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #87
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I havent heard of a case where handloads have been used but Harold Fish was convicted of murder and the jurors said the prosecutor convinced them that Fish was up to no good carrying an unusually powerful gun (10mm) and those evil hollow point bullets. Fish's defense was not very good IMHO.

http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/200...-for-whom.html
They would also probably try to convenience a jury that because you practice regular you are a gun freak and out to kill somebody.

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #88
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not sure you are following along. I mentioned the experiment in response to a comment about using an AR15 for home defense.

I started with the .22-250 because if it didn't work at 4000 fps it wasn't going to work at 3000 and the bolt action is so much easier to work with.

Ok, post the results when you find out.

Unread 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #89
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
OPs question was asked/answered. IMO it's great that the thread is drifting into other info now. Learning is occurring

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I've been doing more research into preferred loads for .223 for home defense, found some interesting ballistic tests. A light-weight soft point or hollow-point seems a mediocre choice for home defense. Underpenetration is more of a concern for me as I do more research. The issue I'm reading about is that the much-higher velocities cause even the heavier .223 rounds to come apart quickly with their first impact. The heavier bullet weight with lower velocity from a pistol seems to typically penetrate further. So I'm re-evaluating my choice in ammo but I still think the weapon is an excellent choice.

So my concern for multiple-wall penetration is being alleviated a little. There are number of factors I hadn't considered. I guess it always pays to do research.

Sorry for the OT, OP.
Barnes TSX bullets are widely regarded as the best bullets out there for duty/defensive use. TSX 50gr, 55gr, 62gr, and 70gr are all good choices based on barrel length, engagement distance, etc. Overpenetration need not be your first concern, but it is something to be wary of. FYI, there's been tests where buckshot has penetrated multiple layers of wallboard...just like a centerfire projectiles. A common topic talked about in shoothouse training is knowing the structure - ie - knowing your target's backdrop and what's beyond it.

Back to the OPs question, I forgot to post this earlier. Look at what the pros use for close quarters work. Rifles (short barreled usually) and pistols. HRT, SRT, SWAT, SOG, etc teams (and SOF abroad) choose these based on some of the factors that have been talked about in this thread.

If you've ever watched a ballistic breach: the breacher moves to the front of the stack, shoots the hinges or knob, holds while his team moves, slings the shotgun shoulders a rifle, and enters the room in the rear of the stack.

This is a clue
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #90
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
OPs question was asked/answered. IMO it's great that the thread is drifting into other info now. Learning is occurring

Barnes TSX bullets are widely regarded as the best bullets out there for duty/defensive use. TSX 50gr, 55gr, 62gr, and 70gr are all good choices based on barrel length, engagement distance, etc. Overpenetration need not be your first concern, but it is something to be wary of. FYI, there's been tests where buckshot has penetrated multiple layers of wallboard...just like a centerfire projectiles. A common topic talked about in shoothouse training is knowing the structure - ie - knowing your target's backdrop and what's beyond it.

Back to the OPs question, I forgot to post this earlier. Look at what the pros use for close quarters work. Rifles (short barreled usually) and pistols. HRT, SRT, SWAT, SOG, etc teams (and SOF abroad) choose these based on some of the factors that have been talked about in this thread.

If you've ever watched a ballistic breach: the breacher moves to the front of the stack, shoots the hinges or knob, holds while his team moves, slings the shotgun shoulders a rifle, and enters the room in the rear of the stack.

This is a clue
You are talking about a trained team clearing a room. This is very different than a home owner reacting to a bump or thump in the night. The two are not comparable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.