9mm or 12 Gage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 9mm or 12 Gage

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

9mm or 12 Gage

Here in a few months I plan on buying a fire arm for self defense/recreation. Which is the better choice?

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

what is your recreational plans? have you shot before? 12 gauge is a good all around good gun. if you have the right choke you can use it for about anything. once you decide what you want, if you haven't previously, go get educated and familiar with what you buy.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
what is your recreational plans? have you shot before? 12 gauge is a good all around good gun. if you have the right choke you can use it for about anything. once you decide what you want, if you haven't previously, go get educated and familiar with what you buy.
Yes, I've shot for recreation, skeet/hunting, a few times. But recreation with these guns will probably be at the range. I mainly want a firearm for protection though.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

You will get a lot of opinions on a question like this. I have several hand guns and long rifles, but have yet to get a shotgun. In my nightstand I have an M1911A .45 because that is what the Navy taught me how to use, and I am very familiar with it. It is definitely not for everyone, but it is what I like. I also have a Smith & Wesson 9mm and an AK-47 and an SKS. Also a .22 Savage bolt rifle for varmit issues. Personally I would consider a handgun first, and then get a shotgun. There is more likelihood that handguns will be harder to get sooner than shotguns will be, but that is a personal opinion. I have been thinking about getting a shotgun too, however. Can't really go wrong whichever you decide, just make sure to get some target practice and become proficient with it, and learn how to take care of it too.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i would go with what i am more familiar with, or if i had the $ get both. main thing is figure out what you are more comfortable with or willing to get out and learn.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horaceunit View Post
There is more likelihood that handguns will be harder to get sooner than shotguns will be, but that is a personal opinion.
This is what I'm most concerned about.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i would go with what i am more familiar with, or if i had the $ get both. main thing is figure out what you are more comfortable with or willing to get out and learn.
I'm more familiar with a rifle/shot gun but I like the concealability of a hand gun. I'm sure it's frowned upon to carry around a shot gun on your back lol. I also like the lower price of the 12 gage.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

that's why i like my .410 pistol.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Price?
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i have been told they normally go for about 100 to 150 if you can find one. it does also have the capability of shootin .45 colt and it is single shot, but it serves it purpose and i like to shoot it. plus .410 shells are pretty cheap
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Indy

Shotguns are for bird hunting. Even when i worked the streets the shotgun never came out of the rack unless i wanted beanbags. I carried an ar whenever i wanted along gun.

But any minute now someone willcome along saying the mere sound of a pump being worked is somehow magic.
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horaceunit View Post
There is more likelihood that handguns will be harder to get sooner than shotguns will be....
Handguns that hold more than 10 rounds and semiauto shotguns are just below "assault rifles" (by this they mean a semi-auto rifle that looks similar to a military firearm, even if they function very differently) on the ban list.

I fear the recent government shutdown may prove very costly for the republicans in the mid-term elections next year. That could pave the way for a whole lot of gun control in 2015.

If you ever want an AR15, AK, or the like, I would put those and all the magazines you will ever want for the rest of your life on your "must get" list within the next year. I am not guaranteeing these bans will happen, but it is too late once they do.

If I answer your original question and ignore political factors, it all comes down to whether you would want to carry it. If so, get the handgun. If it is purely for the home, maybe the shotgun.
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't get me started on these things. I don't want to hate on your gun but I see the OP showing interest and it is only fair that he get the counterpoint. But as long as you are happy with yours DO NOT listen to me! The world would be a better place if we all worried a lot less about what some idiot on the other end of the internet says. Anyway....

The .410 revolvers like the Taurus Judge and S&W governor are fine as long as the buyer knows what they are getting. They are not the wonder weapon Taurus and many of it's fanboys make them out to be. I have a buddy that is a major fanboy. I avoid starting him talking about these at all costs.

I have seen some of the wonder ammo marketed for these things bounce off the screen of an old crt tv. Admittedly the glass was over an inch think, but a 9mm made short work of it.

Ballistic gel data I have read confirms that they tend to underpenetrate. At defense distances the pattern won't spread as much as fanboys say, requiring you to actually aim, which is a good thing because it would be downright dangerous otherwise.

Besides that, what exactly does one do with these for fun at the range? The cheap ammo is birdshot that won't do anything to anything. Good luck hitting a clay with a judge and stationary targets with birdshots sounds amazingly boring.

That is my 2 cents. Do with it as you will.
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get the 9mm. You can carry it if desired. I definitely get a lot more shooting in with my 9mm than my 12 ga.
daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. I definitely think I'm leaning toward the 9mm for carrying purposes even though the 12 is just plain fun to shoot. Eventually I'll be pick up the 12g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.