'97 What is it worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > '97 What is it worth?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

'97 What is it worth?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a long time Jeep lover but never a Jeep owner... I have joined this forum to learn more and ask questions before I get my own eventually...

My problem.... My parents are trying to start a business. They have two Jeeps- one is an early '80s forest service model CJ7. The other is the Jeep in question, a '97 TJ with the 2.5 4 cylinder with a 5 speed and 4.10 gears w/ 112k miles.

They want to sell the Jeeps (mostly the TJ) to help fund the start of the business.

The good:
The TJ is in decent cosmetic condition with a soft top, an Eclipse CD deck, Pioneer speakers all aroud. My dad built a custom brushguard (more of a light rack) for it and it has some fogs mounted on it. It's not been offroaded hard as long as we have owned it (I would say 4-5years). All axles and transfer case are in good working condition. The Jeep runs and drives decently. Plugs wires and distributor are new. There are no Transfer case, axle or transmission leaks that I am aware of.

The bad:
The soft top is intact but you can tell it's getting rough around the edges. The engine needs a Throttle Position sensor (maybe a maps sensor as well, I have no code reader. The Jeep does not rev smoothly because one of these sensors is bad), an oil change, a serpentine belt, and one of the bolts on the exhaust manifold on cylinder #4 is missing, causing the gasket to leak and there to be an exhaust tick most of the time. The valvecover gasket leaks, and the front engine seal is weeping. THere are small rust spots on the door and windshield hinges. The front stabilizer bar has broken away on the drivers side- the biggest safety concern I can see thus far. The tires are between 50-30% tread, I believe they are 31" offroad tires. It will likely need a new battery. The alloy rims have lost thir clearcoat and are looking a little shaggy.

I am just curious what you guys or gals think this Jeep is worth... Thanks for your time!

Pics coming...

Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Like most things, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Good news is that these are easy to sell. Check E-bay, you can get a good idea for what they're selling. Miles, condition, appearance are all factors in value. In a niche market, like a Jeep, mods typically add value to another Jeep buyer.

www.kbb.com and www.nada.com are also good sources to get an idea of value.

An average condition 1997 Jeep as you stated with average mileage (12K p/year) with A/C should bring $5K assuming its stock.
steevireno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

PS - If you're mechanically inclined, the "bad" things you listed can easily be repaired on a Saturday afternoon (i.e. missing bolt, sensor, belt and oil change).
steevireno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Steve! I realize many of these things can be fixed, however, some enthusiasts prefer to do it themselves... So they know what has been done, it has been done right... Picky about the oil brand... Etc. I am not sure whether or not value wise it is worth fixing, is it? Ive never used NADA before, thanks for the link!

Well, here are some pics.

We just don't want to try and get $4500-5000 for it if nobody wants it for that. We'd rather sell it now for less if it's worth less... that kind of thing. Just asking the pros! What would you all pay for it if you were looking to buy it?
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where I live in Va it's worth around $5700 in good condition.Like someone else said,it's worth what someones willing to pay.I bought a 95' YJ for $2800 and cleaned it up real good,fixed the small things and sold it for $5000 18 months later.
p.s. use KBB.com private party to see what it's really worth.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
jarrodg
2003 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Member #251[/COLOR]

I Jeep, therefore I am.
jarrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a bunch for trying Jarrodg...

The Approx value is $5000, give or take from the examples Ive seen. In ebay there is a guy asking 6k for a similar model in better condition (more miles and a thrown rod though... Lol.) If anyone else has any more input that would be great. Personally I thought the vehicle was worth about 3000 tops, it'[s suprising to see that even in bad shape ppl asking 5-6k.
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i bought a 97, 2.5L, 5spd, 122k miles, very similar to that one for $4000 in september.

it needed some mechanical attention...the major thing which i am working on right now (leaking head gasket). the interior is rough, but i am fixing that up. the paint is horribly cracking. no rust though down here in the south. the tires had about 10k miles left on them TOPS. i just spent $1000 replacing all five wheels and tires. mine had the same wheels on it that one does. i sold them for $200 recently.

i only got this one for $4000 b/c the guy needed the cash fast. it was the least expensive TJ i've seen. people are trying to sell YJs and CJs in worse/older condition for twice as much around here.
i think with everything i've done with it so far, i could probably resell it for $7500.

basically, don't sell yourself short with it. people go after the TJs. the rust is typical for you guys up there. it's a fact of life so that likely won't deter buyers...b/c anything else they look at is going to be in similar shape. i would try for $6000.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj
i bought a 97, 2.5L, 5spd, 122k miles, very similar to that one for $4000 in september.

it needed some mechanical attention...the major thing which i am working on right now (leaking head gasket). the interior is rough, but i am fixing that up. the paint is horribly cracking. no rust though down here in the south. the tires had about 10k miles left on them TOPS. i just spent $1000 replacing all five wheels and tires. mine had the same wheels on it that one does. i sold them for $200 recently.

i only got this one for $4000 b/c the guy needed the cash fast. it was the least expensive TJ i've seen. people are trying to sell YJs and CJs in worse/older condition for twice as much around here.
i think with everything i've done with it so far, i could probably resell it for $7500.

basically, don't sell yourself short with it. people go after the TJs. the rust is typical for you guys up there. it's a fact of life so that likely won't deter buyers...b/c anything else they look at is going to be in similar shape. i would try for $6000.
Dayum... Would you suggest that price as is or if I fixed some of the stuff that seems to be broken?
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the way it sits 5k easily...if you fix the engine.If you don't everyone will be beating you up over it.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
TJeep97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it all depends on the prices that jeeps are going for in your area. and since the summer is coming up you can sell it alittle higher just cause the demand will be up. i bought mine last fall. its the same as your with minor problems. mine was 3500 but i thought that was a steal. just use craigslist, ebay, and kbb to determine what there going for near you.
good luck
[CENTER][B][SIZE="3"]Sick Nasty Jeep Club Member #1[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
TJeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i paid 5500 for a 97 automatic. 195,000 on the jeep about 3-4 months ago but the guy replaced the engine with a 98 jeep grand cherokee engine about 95,000 on that. this is in NY

w/o the safari rack
gene97sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
TheJackel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my 97 TJ for a steal I think at least, got a 97 4.0 with mint interrior with body damage im fixing right now with 115,000 miles for 2800. It has running boards, custom rear bumper , exhaust, 30 inch tires, custom wheels, air conditioning. The only thing is that the right front fender was smashed in and the hood was bent. I can prolly fix those up for a grand and have a mint condition jeep. For what your saying you can prolly get 3,500 - 4,000 for people who know what theyre looking for, 5 to 6 for a person just looking for a jeep.
TheJackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
88wagon

I just bought a 97 4.0 sahara with 130k in florida for 3500 I pretty much stole it though because it has a new top four brand new 33" tires and doesnt look like its been offroad much. the guy thought it needed a trans but it just needed to be topped off the fluid was low. and I had sold my 2000 sahara the same day for 6700 but it was all cut up the fenders we're cut really bad and it was just in bad shape. on ebay you might get 4500-5000.
07 yaris hatchback
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the 4 popper TJ with the hood bra. I'd start asking high, you can always go down, not vise versa. But could you tell me some more about the forest service CJ!! Any pics of that one??? Price?? PM me if you'd rather.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.