93 Chevy Transmission problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 93 Chevy Transmission problem

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Rusty Scupper

93 Chevy Transmission problem

Don't know where else to go so I thought I would throw it out here. I have a 93 chevy 2500 as a tow vehicle and having tranny problems. When accelerating it will shift from 1st to second fine but then in 3rd it will be like it is in nuetral. The fluid was burnt, changed it and new filter but still having problems. It is intermittent. Is there a electrical sensor for 2 & 3 that might be bad. I don't want to throw a bunch of money into it if I don't have to. It has 100K on it.

Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does it have a detent shift cable going from the trans to the throttle body?? I had a similar shift problem with my 86 S10 Plow truck and that was the problem the cable was broken

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Dunno if these trannies still have a modulator valve or not,but you might look into it
Unread 10-26-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
moriarty

if it is the 4l60e then no there is no sensor and this is a very common failure,
welded spidy gears
Snorkel from Lowes
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Rusty Scupper

Moriarity - Thats it, what is the fix.....rebuild?
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:49 AM   #6
moriarty

9 times out of 10 yes.....

in my case, if it was highway speeds then it would still try to go to od and for a while it would eventually you have 1-2 and reverse the 700r4 is the same trans with the same problem in stock form.........................i have killed one of each the 700r4 in my firebird just all of a sudden had no more 3-4 the 4l60e in my 93 jimmy gradually got worse

i paid $950 locally to get my 4l60e rebuilt and that included a supposed valvebody upgrade that fixes some of gm's mistakes btw i pulled and reinstalled the trans

there is a place online http://www.700r4l60e.com

they are some of the best out there if you don't mind the idea of ordering one online they have all sorts of upgrades for hi powered and towing applications
welded spidy gears
Snorkel from Lowes
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.