3.73 gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 3.73 gears

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
charper

3.73 gears

have an 03 liberty sport and I'm trying to put 02 liberty gears in it...
the old gears are bigger than the new ones.. does anyone know if I can use them?? I'm in a pickle right now and would hate to put it back together and ruin the warranty.

charper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Try asking in the liberty forum.

You can run different ratio gears in the front and rear, but not in 4wd. I'd pull the front driveshaft for insurance. Hate to forget and blow s*** up.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charper View Post
have an 03 liberty sport and I'm trying to put 02 liberty gears in it...
the old gears are bigger than the new ones.. does anyone know if I can use them?? I'm in a pickle right now and would hate to put it back together and ruin the warranty.

If you mean physically bigger different gear ratios in the same axle are often different sizes. If the axles are the same type they should fit but you may need to swap the carrier as well. I'm not an axle pro though so hopefully someone that knows more than I do will chime in.

If not ask the mods to move this thread to the right sub-forum to get more hits on it!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would ask in the liberty forum but you must change the gears in the front too, if it is 4wd, otherwise you will be unable to use the 4wd. You may need to change the carrier depending on the gear split. You will also have to have professional with the proper tools do the swap, this is not something that can be easily done in the garage, takes a bunch of specialty tools and knowledge to do properly.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.