2016 wrangler independent suspension?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2016 wrangler independent suspension?!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 10-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #16
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ahh, don't worry. If Jeep does come out with an independent front or rear suspension, there will be an aftermarket company selling solids. Quads have had independent suspensions for a while now. They seem to work just fine.

Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #17
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I hope it comes with IFS

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
tjkid8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010
Here was the article I saw http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...lid-axles.html If I wanted independent suspension I would have bought a Toyota.
Yes I read that same article the only things I seen about the new jeeps says 2016. If they ditch solid axles that would be the worst mistake they could make jeep is one of the few that actually have solid front an rear
tjkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
You do know its highly likely that the cherokee was in works far before Fiat bought Jeep. It takes longer than a year and a half to design a "new" vehicle like that.
Then why did Jeep have to use the same Fiat/Alfa platform for the KL that was used for the Dart?
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
bobjp

I worked on parts for the KL. It was in process before Fiat purchased Chrysler shares in July 2011, but not for long. Regardles, it's not a unique situation; OEM's have shared platforms before.
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I heard they were going to put a minivan engine in the wrangler

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I heard they were going to put a minivan engine in the wrangler
What's next, a 4-door? Get real.

Seriously, though, Fiat-Chrysler's CEO himself has stated that the Wrangler will maintain a twin-solid-axle setup as long as Fiat owns Chrysler, and has confirmed that solid axles are a design mandate for the next-generation Wrangler. He's said as much a few times since Fiat purchased Chrysler. As has been stated earlier, the JK's production run has been extended to 2018, effective July 2012, so the article in question is not at all credible.

Can Jeep Forum calm the hell down with these rumors? I'm getting kind of tired of people freaking out and saying "Jeep isn't Jeep anymore" over unsubstantiated hearsay. And for that matter, can we get over the solid axle thing? Independent suspension is capable enough onroad for most of us, and for those who don't find it so, people have been doing solid axle swaps for decades anyway. Having owned IFS and SFA, I can say the IFS never really limited me offroad, and it made for much tighter onroad manners, which is where my 4x4s spend 90% of their time. And nobody's buying a brand-new 4x4 to be a dedicated wheeling rig, so it's not like that matters either. Get over your purism.

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

What's next, a 4-door? Get real.
For real, I also heard they were going to make 2WD JKs as well.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
For real, I also heard they were going to make 2WD JKs as well.
Oh come on, best case that sticks for like 2 years before they make the 4WD standard again.

Unread 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe like an H1?
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...lid-axles.html

Just got this article in an email. Not sure if it is the same article that everyone else has seen but I cant believe Jeep would shoot themselves in the foot like this. If this actually happens then I can honestly say that I have zero respect to Fiat. I really hope SchizophrenicMC is right, as his argument seems sound and logical but I don't trust the word of any high ranking CEO. We all saw how much you can trust the CEO's on wall-street and other financial institutions...real trustworthy. Excuse me for being "purist" but I still have pride in the Jeep history and the solid axle design that so many jeepers love and have trusted for many years.
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The Corvette still employs a large V8 in the front with drive in the back, and the roof still comes out. The Mustang is still RWD and basic with upgrades galore. The Wrangler is Chrysler's icon. There are a few basic things you don't mess with in your icon. Fiat-Chrysler is smart enough to know this. I trust they won't mess up the next one.

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I like the point you make. It's much more logical than the article.
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
The writing is on the wall, and it's not Fiat. The military has long abandoned solid front axles for small vehicles.

It's true solid axles are easier to lift,at least with leaf springs, I suspect that lifting a coil spring solid axle suspension is not that different in difficulty than an independent. There are advantages both ways, but one problem with a solid axle is that the differential is always pretty close to the ground, only changing tire size moves it up. With independent suspension it can be tucked up in the body.
I'll assume you are new and don't know a ton about coil sprung on solid axles vs independent suspension.

First of all, have you ever worked on anything (like lifting/modifying) a vehicle with independent front suspension? Not the task most DIYers look forward to. It's not extremely difficult but it isn't' easy either. Lifting my 97 4runner took way longer than it took to lift my Jeep.

On a Jeep, you jack the jeep up, let the axle down, pull the springs out, take the shocks off and reinstall new cooler stuff. Simple and can be done super fast. Just because the military has gotten away from solid axles for smaller vehicles doesn't mean Jeep should for their wranglers, something that has always had SFA/SRA. I see no benefit to doing this besides saving weight and .5 MPG.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I want a ifs wrangler, so I can put a long travel front on it. Would be so badass

Give me a diesel aluminum bodied LWB 2 door wrangler rubicon with double wishbone IFS, solid rear and a ladder frame and I'll be happy camper.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.