2012 AMA Supercross. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2012 AMA Supercross.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Reply
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,626
2012 AMA Supercross.

Who's pumped for the new season? Last year was insane and I can't wait to see this year. There were so many team changes it's hard to keep up.

Ryan Dungey should've stayed with Suzuki. But I guess KTM offered him a better contract and maybe he can get them going in American Supercross. Trey Canard is out for awhile I guess. Broke his femur again. There goes his title chances. Man he had everything going for him. James Stewart is going to do the same thing. Be fast but crash 3 times during each race. Chad Reed for the title!

I'm hoping to make it to Atlanta, Daytona, maybe New Orleans, and maybe, just maybe, Las Vegas.

Anybody else excited?

__________________
'98 TJ Sahara, BDS, Bilstein, Brown Dog, B&M, MetalCloak, Undercover Fab, Savvy http://www.4lowparts.com/
Do you even lift bro? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/
- Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total, Confusion
Posts: 9,205
I'm ready. I'd love to get to one of races, its been way too long.

Hopefully they can all stay healthy and make a real race out of it.
__________________
Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and IndyORV
My Old YJ Build My Mods My YouTube Channel

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Ih8Hondas
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethel, Missouri
Posts: 398
Canard's Femur is fine now. He actually broke his collarbone a few days after getting cleared to ride after rebreaking the femur at Washougal.

KTM made a 2012.5 bike just to get Dungey to ride for them. Hope it works out for KTM's sake. I don't think KTM's suit his riding style very well. They seem to be more suited to agressive riders whereas Dungey is pretty calculated and mothodical with his riding. I don't really like Dungey. He seems devoid of a personality. I also wonder how Malcolm Stewart is going to do on the JDR KTM.

Bummer Roczen broke his arm. I was hoping to see him ride A1. He's fun to watch. You know if DeCoster is still making him and Musquin ride the same lites region?

If Stewart can stay on two wheels this season will probably be a real nailbiter. Villopoto is coming in with a full head of steam after winning everything last year so he'll be fast and have a mental advantage. Reed is always a top 3 guy. Hansen could be up there if he puts the work in. Kdub will be running up there. There are several different guys who win on any night.

Obviously the Monster Pro Circuit team is going to be good. I'm curious to see what extra speed Mitch has gotten out of Darryn Durham.

January 7th can't get here fast enough. I'm debating on whether or not to buy tickets for the St. Louis round. The track map doesn't look very exciting to watch, especially compared the one Travis Patrana designed in 2009. That track was epic. He was right in front of us when his bike quit in the LCQ. I was so bummed he didn't make the main.
__________________
1998 Jeep XJ: 4.0, AX15
2006 Yamaha YZ250: Stock
Ih8Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Darlington/Ocean City Md
Posts: 70
I'll be watching...was in Vegas for the Monster Cup last year at Sam Boyd Stadium.
__________________
06 F350 Powerstroke 4x4
05 Ranger 4 banger
13 Explorer Sport (wife's)
malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8Hondas View Post
Canard's Femur is fine now. He actually broke his collarbone a few days after getting cleared to ride after rebreaking the femur at Washougal.

KTM made a 2012.5 bike just to get Dungey to ride for them. Hope it works out for KTM's sake. I don't think KTM's suit his riding style very well. They seem to be more suited to agressive riders whereas Dungey is pretty calculated and mothodical with his riding. I don't really like Dungey. He seems devoid of a personality. I also wonder how Malcolm Stewart is going to do on the JDR KTM.

Bummer Roczen broke his arm. I was hoping to see him ride A1. He's fun to watch. You know if DeCoster is still making him and Musquin ride the same lites region?

If Stewart can stay on two wheels this season will probably be a real nailbiter. Villopoto is coming in with a full head of steam after winning everything last year so he'll be fast and have a mental advantage. Reed is always a top 3 guy. Hansen could be up there if he puts the work in. Kdub will be running up there. There are several different guys who win on any night.

Obviously the Monster Pro Circuit team is going to be good. I'm curious to see what extra speed Mitch has gotten out of Darryn Durham.

January 7th can't get here fast enough. I'm debating on whether or not to buy tickets for the St. Louis round. The track map doesn't look very exciting to watch, especially compared the one Travis Patrana designed in 2009. That track was epic. He was right in front of us when his bike quit in the LCQ. I was so bummed he didn't make the main.
You pay alot more attention than me.

I actually hadn't heard anything about little Stewart switching teams until now.

All I know about Roczen is that he is out for awhile. I need a better news source.
__________________
'98 TJ Sahara, BDS, Bilstein, Brown Dog, B&M, MetalCloak, Undercover Fab, Savvy http://www.4lowparts.com/
Do you even lift bro? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/
- Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Ih8Hondas
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethel, Missouri
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

You pay alot more attention than me.

I actually hadn't heard anything about little Stewart switching teams until now.

All I know about Roczen is that he is out for awhile. I need a better news source.
My family has always had dirt bikes so I got hooked early. Motocross is the only sport I pay any attention to so I tend to stay pretty well informed on it.
__________________
1998 Jeep XJ: 4.0, AX15
2006 Yamaha YZ250: Stock
Ih8Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8Hondas View Post
My family has always had dirt bikes so I got hooked early. Motocross is the only sport I pay any attention to so I tend to stay pretty well informed on it.
When did you start racing? I started riding when I was 7 but plan on entering my first race this spring.
__________________
'98 TJ Sahara, BDS, Bilstein, Brown Dog, B&M, MetalCloak, Undercover Fab, Savvy http://www.4lowparts.com/
Do you even lift bro? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/
- Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
bikerdude
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Potosi, Wisconsin
Posts: 308
Good luck with the racing. I never raced but always had dirtbikes when I was younger and grew up on a 465 acre farm with awesome terrain. In my 30's a neighbor had an awesome practice track with doubles, triples, a cool tabletop, and a 100 foot long whoop section. Unfortunately at that age I didn't "bounce" like I used to when wiping out. My last big wipeout was attempting the whoops flat out in third. I started to gain fear after that which doesn't work for the bigger stuff.

I still have my 87 KX250 sitting in the shed even though it hasn't ran in years. To give you an idea of how long it has been since I attended a motocross race, my last one was during Ricky Carmichael's 125cc rookie year.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Ih8Hondas
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethel, Missouri
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21
When did you start racing? I started riding when I was 7 but plan on entering my first race this spring.
I also started riding at seven. Kind of late considering my dad, both his brothers, and one of his brother in laws almost always had a bike of some sort since the 70's and both of my cousins had been riding for a few years.

I started racing about four years ago. The first race can be kind of scary but it'll get easier and more fun the more you do it. Just don't ride over your head and you should be fine. Worry about going faster as you gain experience. You'll always be nervous at the gate so don't think that'll go away. If it does there's something wrong with you. Haha.
__________________
1998 Jeep XJ: 4.0, AX15
2006 Yamaha YZ250: Stock
Ih8Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Ih8Hondas
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethel, Missouri
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude
Good luck with the racing. I never raced but always had dirtbikes when I was younger and grew up on a 465 acre farm with awesome terrain. In my 30's a neighbor had an awesome practice track with doubles, triples, a cool tabletop, and a 100 foot long whoop section. Unfortunately at that age I didn't "bounce" like I used to when wiping out. My last big wipeout was attempting the whoops flat out in third. I started to gain fear after that which doesn't work for the bigger stuff.

I still have my 87 KX250 sitting in the shed even though it hasn't ran in years. To give you an idea of how long it has been since I attended a motocross race, my last one was during Ricky Carmichael's 125cc rookie year.
Whoops can be tricky. Most of the time there are only two speeds you can hit them at; really slow or really fast. Anywhere in between is likely to lead to a crash. You should go into them a gear high as Wellington to avoid losing drive and dropping the front wheel. It also helps the suspension function better because you're not as revved out.

You should the old green beast running again. Nobody ever said you had to jump everything and blitz all the whoops to have fun. My dad waited til he was 40 to do his first race. He didn't jump anything or blitz the whoops but he said it was the most fun he'd had in his life even though he only beat one really slow guy. Where was that last race you went to?
__________________
1998 Jeep XJ: 4.0, AX15
2006 Yamaha YZ250: Stock
Ih8Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
bikerdude
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Potosi, Wisconsin
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8Hondas View Post
Whoops can be tricky. Most of the time there are only two speeds you can hit them at; really slow or really fast. Anywhere in between is likely to lead to a crash. You should go into them a gear high as Wellington to avoid losing drive and dropping the front wheel. It also helps the suspension function better because you're not as revved out.

You should the old green beast running again. Nobody ever said you had to jump everything and blitz all the whoops to have fun. My dad waited til he was 40 to do his first race. He didn't jump anything or blitz the whoops but he said it was the most fun he'd had in his life even though he only beat one really slow guy. Where was that last race you went to?
That last big crash, I was skimming the tops of the whoops thinking "this is great" when the rear started swapping violently about 2/3 of the way through. I cushioned the fall for the bike with my body though.

In 02 I poured some fresh gas in the KX and it fired up so I pulled it out of the shed, putted around the house once, and nailed the throttle hard. I stood it up and rode a wheelie about 100 feet. I was coming up on my truck pretty fast which was parked next to a bushy tree so I tapped the brake but unfortunately in my excitement of getting it fired up I forgot to check to see if the brakes worked... they didn't! I didn't fit between the truck and the tree even though the bike made it through. Found out later my brake fluid had jelled up. The KX needs a rebuild and I also have a Yamaha 660 Raptor that I ride so I guess that is why the bike sits, that Raptor is a blast! That and none of my friends ride anymore.

The last race I attended was 1997 at Red Bud Michigan. Pretty awesome standing at the top of LaRocco's Leap watching the bikes soar over you. I was all stoked to see my personal hero, Doug Henry, race after he had made a comeback from his backbreaking crash at Budds Creek MD. Unfortunately he had crashed the week before this race and had broken both wrists, once again at Budds Creek.

Now you have me thinking about ordering a rebuild kit...
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Ih8Hondas
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethel, Missouri
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude

That last big crash, I was skimming the tops of the whoops thinking "this is great" when the rear started swapping violently about 2/3 of the way through. I cushioned the fall for the bike with my body though.

In 02 I poured some fresh gas in the KX and it fired up so I pulled it out of the shed, putted around the house once, and nailed the throttle hard. I stood it up and rode a wheelie about 100 feet. I was coming up on my truck pretty fast which was parked next to a bushy tree so I tapped the brake but unfortunately in my excitement of getting it fired up I forgot to check to see if the brakes worked... they didn't! I didn't fit between the truck and the tree even though the bike made it through. Found out later my brake fluid had jelled up. The KX needs a rebuild and I also have a Yamaha 660 Raptor that I ride so I guess that is why the bike sits, that Raptor is a blast! That and none of my friends ride anymore.

The last race I attended was 1997 at Red Bud Michigan. Pretty awesome standing at the top of LaRocco's Leap watching the bikes soar over you. I was all stoked to see my personal hero, Doug Henry, race after he had made a comeback from his backbreaking crash at Budds Creek MD. Unfortunately he had crashed the week before this race and had broken both wrists, once again at Budds Creek.

Now you have me thinking about ordering a rebuild kit...
Yeah. Swapping isn't fun, especially if your bike lands on you. Luckily it's never happened to me in whoops (knocks on wood).

Nice. My dad about got some whiskey throttle on my YZ250 the other day. He's used to his 200SX, which apparently has a bigger power disadvantage than I thought. I would have been pissed if he crashed since I haven't even had that bike a month yet.

I want to go to Red Bud sometime. I've always been a Doug Henry fan too. I even watched supermoto for a while just because he was racing. Unfortunately he broke his back again doing that and as far as I know he's permanently stuck in a wheelchair. I hope to attend a national this summer. It'll probably be Millville though since MN is a lot closer to MO than MI.

Might as well rebuild the KX. Go to a track and find some new friends that ride. Maybe you'll get back into it and find yourself wanting a more modern bike. It'd probably be worth it to get a newer one anyway just because suspension technology has advanced so much.

Saturday night needs to hurry up and get here.
__________________
1998 Jeep XJ: 4.0, AX15
2006 Yamaha YZ250: Stock
Ih8Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
bikerdude
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Potosi, Wisconsin
Posts: 308
Doug may be paralyzed from the waist down but he still rides... check this out...
That is one crazycool SOB!
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total, Confusion
Posts: 9,205
Tonight's the night!

For old times sake:

__________________
Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and IndyORV
My Old YJ Build My Mods My YouTube Channel

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,626
1hr till race time!

Hope Reed has a good night. Barcia should do pretty good if he's still in the Lites. Tomac should be pretty good. I'm a fan of the Lites.
__________________
'98 TJ Sahara, BDS, Bilstein, Brown Dog, B&M, MetalCloak, Undercover Fab, Savvy http://www.4lowparts.com/
Do you even lift bro? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/
- Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.