2011 Exploder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2011 Exploder

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
schvilktus

2011 Exploder

Another one bites the dust:

"The new Explorer has been completely redesigned. The most obvious difference: It's built a car platform, not a truck one, so it sits lower to the ground and has a smoother, more fuel-efficient ride. The new Explorer shares a platform with the Taurus X sedan. "

1986 CJ-7 Laredo. 4" Superlift, 33x12.50s, one piece axles, T-5, D300, AMC 20, Jasper stage-1 258 I-6, Howell TBI, DUI ignition, Luk ProGold Performance clutch, Red w/ black hard top, one sexy cornfed boy behind the wheel.
schvilktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've always loved Explorers and thought they were excellent vehicles, but this kills it for me. They did away with the V8, too. Way to ruin it, Ford...
KEH1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ford's new slogan: "Exploder, you thought they sucked before."
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
schvilktus

I had a '91 I got for free that barely made it to 100,000 miles. I traded it in when the head gaskets were blown and the oil system was turning into that muddy crap, but it still ran, so I got $1000 for it in 2008.

1986 CJ-7 Laredo. 4" Superlift, 33x12.50s, one piece axles, T-5, D300, AMC 20, Jasper stage-1 258 I-6, Howell TBI, DUI ignition, Luk ProGold Performance clutch, Red w/ black hard top, one sexy cornfed boy behind the wheel.
schvilktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like a great decision. Now it will be based on the legendary offroader, the Ford Taurus.
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
rentalguy1

We have a 2002, and I have had several others of the same platform; Rangers and BII's. So much for the RBV.
rentalguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Cool92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think its a good idea but should not be called a explorer should be called the taurus X It has the 3.5l ecoboost and it gets 30 mpg thats pretty damm good for a huge car small suv what ever you want to call it.
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

If I were in this market I'd get the Grand Cherokee over this.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schvilktus View Post
"The new Explorer has been completely redesigned. The most obvious difference: It's built a car platform, not a truck one, so it sits lower to the ground and has a smoother, more fuel-efficient ride. The new Explorer shares a platform with the Taurus X sedan. "
Let's just break down this description, shall we?

"The new Explorer has been completely redesigned."
Well that's good, the old design was only 4 years old!

"The most obvious difference: It's built [on] a car platform, not a truck one,"
Ah, the legendary CUV conversion.

"so it sits lower to the ground"
Off-roading? Puh-lease!

"and has a smoother, more fuel-efficient ride."
Putting aside the logistics of a ride being fuel-efficient, is Mercedes smoothness really needed? The last version had 4-wheel IS! And fuel efficiency could be solved by better engines, which they just released.

"The new Explorer shares a platform with the Taurus X sedan."
I'm sure they mean Taurus, or the Flex.

As much as I hate this transition, I'm betting that they're going with the approach that GM is taking with their FWD based midsize CUV's. I guess as long as they keep their fullsize SUVs RWD based, then it won't be all bad. It would be nice though if they would come out with a Wrangler-sized Bronco for some nice competition.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Seannn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I heard a commercial on the radio today about the new explorer and it said "I't will get you out of the mud" or something along the lines of that.
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seannn View Post
I heard a commercial on the radio today about the new explorer and it said "I't will get you out of the mud" or something along the lines of that.

buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
96_XJ_Sport
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wonder if it comes with firestone tires? I do like the overall design of it but just not for what an explorer should be.

2011 Ford Explorer: This Is Not An SUV
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

2011 Ford Explorer: This Is Not An SUV
Quote:
Ford's trying to make a buck. That's fine by us. No, our biggest problem we've got is that Ford's taken a name with a heritage and used it in a completely un-historical way, thus betraying it. If Ford's willing to call the Explorer an SUV imagine what happens when they realize the next Ford Flex should really be called the Ford Bronco. It's a slippery slope.
^^That^^ Is why I hate this.

The only upside is the V6 its getting makes more power more efficiently than last years V8... But its not an SUV so who cares. Why couldn't they just let the Edge continue to fill this segment? It bugs me when companies whore out their platforms to try and capitalize on the latest trends; crossovers in this case. This is much like patriots/compasses and all the other filler cars GM and Chrysler spread out across every brand they own trying to squeeze as much money from one platform as they can.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
bumzo1
2005 WK 

bleh I'll take a red 2011 Grand Cherokee limited with Hemi to go, oh and I brought my reusable grocery bags so there's no need to waste plastic.
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
CJATE

looks like my wife's GMC Arcadia.

it's a mini van w/o sliding doors so my wife can feel cool on the way to the soccer field

but I've had 2 explores and they were great, handled well on and off road. te off road was not near as good as the jeep, but the jeep did not handle near as well as the explore on road.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.