2010 Ford Escape - Holy crap gas mileage! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2010 Ford Escape - Holy crap gas mileage!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

2010 Ford Escape - Holy crap gas mileage!

My work has a 2010 Ford Escape. I should note it goes through *a lot* of abuse. Slow driving, start stop, max speed its been at is probably 50.

But this thing is rated for like 40mpg, but it barely gets 11MPG. Could start and stopping really be that bad?

With a Toyota Rav4 that gets I think around 14mpg, I don't drive it because it's so terrible.

At 17k miles the Ford makes all kinds of front end noises, "popping" when you go over a speed limit, anti-lock ABS system makes all kinds of funky noises in the snow.

The Rav 4, I can't even start on that. It's got 70k miles and it's been in the shop almost every week since they bought it. Now, it sounds like the front end is about to fall out. It sounds like the engine is about to die. It "revs" itself up when you're driving it, the sound system is shot, half the interior lights are shot, it's like we drove it through a war. It's had so many issues it's sickening!

But I'm curious, is this normal gas mileage for something with a high rating?? I see people complaining about getting 20 MPG saying that is really bad..

Both of them make me love my Jeep!!

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
CmmdrDan

Is the way its driven. My brother just bought a 2010 escape and I think he get 25mpg maybe. Id have to ask it maybe more

Edit he bought a 2011
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

It doesn't matter how I drive my Jeep, it always gets bad gas mileage lol
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

11 seems a bit low, but in cold weather, start and stop, short trip, I could see it.

Occasionally get 15-16 in the cruiser under similar conditions, but much less idle time than I'd imagine someone in the city would have.
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

And you didn't mention if it's a hybrid? Because non-hybrids are rated as low as 17 MPG with a max of 28 with a 4 cylinder FWD pure highway driving.
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My moms gets about the same mileage but hers is AWD. My wifes was not and got, I believe, over 15. Your mileage may vary. Dave
scramblered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

just sold my wifes escape for more jeep mods. it was an 02 loaded with v6 and 4x4. she got like 23 mpg right up till we sold it with 186k on it. car was tight and quiet the whole time. 11mpg, maybe you did your math wrong?
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the 40mpg could be highway driving statistics, your buring alot of gas when you hit the skinny pedal, and when the tires have to push their way thru the snow... it gets worse.
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whenever I road test escapes, they average about 9-10. So I'd say it's normal with how they're driving it.

Which engine? 2.3, 2.5 or 3.0?

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Not sure on the engine. I assume it's maybe the 3.0? It's fast, and its got a lot of pickup. It's 2wd drive. Not sure about hybrid. It has a weird gas cap thing, well it doesn't have one you just fill it up.

We're on about half a tank at about 90 miles, and it takes 8 gallons = 11MPG. The computer even says 11MPG. It's weird.

I was just curious if it's normal. But it does make a lot of noises, and really does feel like it's going to fall apart. In the snow, it was making these god awful sounds.. the ABS system was. Weird, no clue what's up with it.

---
Quote:
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post

At 17k miles the Ford makes all kinds of front end noises, "popping" when you go over a speed limit, anti-lock ABS system makes all kinds of funky noises in the snow.
That would really worry me.

As for the ABS, it's normal for it to make noise when it's being used in snow. Try braking very softly (avoid any possible lockup), and see if it still makes the noise.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

At work we have 08 Explorers with a v6 (not sure what size) and we stop and start them constantly. I'm talking less than a mile trips, 20-30 times a day. We average 7mpg.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskis View Post
That would really worry me.

As for the ABS, it's normal for it to make noise when it's being used in snow. Try braking very softly (avoid any possible lockup), and see if it still makes the noise.
LOL, nice catch. Speed bump.

I guess it's right, either way, it's not my vehicle I just thought it was pretty ****ty.

How would something like a Jeep Liberty or even a Jeep Wrangler hold up to the slow driving compared to these vehicles?

---
Quote:
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
Indy

And I was a little irritated with my 'new' v8 grand cherokee getting around 14 in town.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
Not sure on the engine. I assume it's maybe the 3.0? It's fast, and its got a lot of pickup. It's 2wd drive. Not sure about hybrid. It has a weird gas cap thing, well it doesn't have one you just fill it up.

We're on about half a tank at about 90 miles, and it takes 8 gallons = 11MPG. The computer even says 11MPG. It's weird.

I was just curious if it's normal. But it does make a lot of noises, and really does feel like it's going to fall apart. In the snow, it was making these god awful sounds.. the ABS system was. Weird, no clue what's up with it.
If it's quick then theres no doubt in my mind it's the 3.0 V6. And yeah, if you drive those hard then they do get horrible mileage

The noises are probably the bushings. Cars now days love going through bushings, and I don't think I've ever seen a car go past 80k miles without them cracking.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.