2008+ GMC Sierra Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2008+ GMC Sierra Help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

2008+ GMC Sierra Help

Looking to buy one of these in the next month or two and have some questions.

1. Is there underseat storage in the quad cab models. Need somewhere to stash a full socket set, first aid kit and a tow strap.

2. I have been told I need to buy the 6 speed transmission only. I know that the 2008 models came with both the 4 and 6 speed. Is there a way to tell which is which? VIN number, etc...

3. Real world mileage? City, highway, combined

4. What are your biggest complaints about it? Biggest issues?

5. Best mods? NO LIFTS or power steps at all.

I'll be buying a quad cab with no more than 60k on it.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My buddy has a 2010 4.8 Ext. Cab, 4wd. He has a 4 speed, no issues with the trans or truck so far but I'm not sure he's got more than 30k on it. He sees 17-19ish MPG mixed driving, little better on highway trips.

It's a very nice riding truck and even in just the extended cab it offers good, usable space. I think his only regret is not getting a 5.3.

I think the big three all have sufficient under seat storage on 4 door models. My dad's Ram has a ton of storage space under the seat.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Someone has to own one of these?

Thanks XJ4oh
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
ajmorell

From what I've been able to find 2010+ is 6 speed, anything older will have the 4l60 4 speed.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Looking to buy one of these in the next month or two and have some questions.

1. Is there underseat storage in the quad cab models. Need somewhere to stash a full socket set, first aid kit and a tow strap.

2. I have been told I need to buy the 6 speed transmission only. I know that the 2008 models came with both the 4 and 6 speed. Is there a way to tell which is which? VIN number, etc...

3. Real world mileage? City, highway, combined

4. What are your biggest complaints about it? Biggest issues?

5. Best mods? NO LIFTS or power steps at all.

I'll be buying a quad cab with no more than 60k on it.
I have a 2008 quad cab, not 4wd though.

1. I keep a first aid kit, travel set of tools, and a crash bag ( jumper cables, bottle jack, flares, etc, under the backseat no problem.

2. Not sure about that one, think mines a 4 speed

3. I get about 17 in the city and 19-20 on the highway, I have the small V8 ( it's either a 4.6 or a 4.8, can't remember)

4. I have electrical problems, especially with the rear passenger locks and windows. Other than that, none. The stock tires sucked, no traction at all. Being 2wd, I was getting stuck in grass parking lots. Bought a set of BFG ATs, fixed it.

5. Mines pretty bare. I duck hunt a lot and have dogs, so no leather. I have the tow package and XM radio which are standard. I hate the center console though, it's an open model with no lid. Defin want to replace. Mine also didn't come with tow hooks in the front, I want to get a set of those as well. Or maybe just a low profile winch bumper.

I love the quad, so much room.

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra extended cab, 4x4, 4.8 ltr, and I love it. I traded in a 2007 Ram for it and haven't thought twice about it. When you lift the back seat however, it is fairly flat. I only store things that don't slide around. There is a storage bin insert you can get to install to allow you carry more under the seat, but I have a tool box in the back so no need. The only mods I would recommend is removing the from 2inch spoiler for more ground clearance, a canvas cap for dry transport (easily removable and stored), and maybe a 2.5 inch leveling kit.

I agree with the above on getting the 5.3 instead of the 4.8 but I love the gas mileage (18 in the city, 20/21 on the highway). I hope this helps.
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the help guys, looks like aj was right and everything pre-2010 is the 4 speed.

At least the mileage numbers look ok. I dont think I'll lift this one, just some good tires, tonneau cover and bedliner, Rigid lights in place of the fogs.
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Thanks for the help guys, looks like aj was right and everything pre-2010 is the 4 speed.

At least the mileage numbers look ok. I dont think I'll lift this one, just some good tires, tonneau cover and bedliner, Rigid lights in place of the fogs.
No problem, enjoy the truck!!

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My dad has a 2011, I looked at getting one as well, but a smaller car better suited my needs.

I'm pretty sure the 6 speed only comes with 5.3l, and vice-versa (at least when it was available). My grandma used to have a 2007 suburban with the 5.3 and a 4 speed, and it got around 19mpg on the highway, with the 6-speed my dad gets around 21-22mpg. The only difference between the two that I noticed in cab was that the gear selector for the 4 speed has P-R-N-D-3-2-1, the 6-speed has P-R-N-D-M (for manual) and a +/- button on the gear selector that let you choose the gear.

As far as issues, my dad hasn't had the truck long enough to notice any, and the suburban didn't have any in the 100k or so miles that my grandma drove it. Both of them were great vehicles when I drove them, but the 6-speed is much better as far as low end power.

I don't think there's storage bins under the seats in the quad cab, but the seats do lift up to some pretty generous space. My dad just threw a couple tool bags under them to keep jumper cables and ratchet straps organized.

Also, if the tires are the same as the ones that came on the previous generation Chevys, they suck. My dad's truck doesn't seem to do as bad as his old one or my old trailblazer did with the factory tires, but switching to Cooper all-terrains made a huge difference in the amount of traction we got in the snow.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, regardless of what is on it when I buy it, the tires are coming off.

Going with Toyo AT II
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
schvilktus

I'm not sure on specifics, but I know there were a few years where the 5.3 had oil consumption issues. It's a known problem that can only be fixed with major engine work. I know one guy that had his engine torn apart and piston rings replaced, and another friend where the entire engine was replaced (both were on GMs dime) but you might wanna do the research and find out which models were included in the problems and either buy one that was already remedied, or one that was never part of the issue.

1986 CJ-7 Laredo. 4" Superlift, 33x12.50s, one piece axles, T-5, D300, AMC 20, Jasper stage-1 258 I-6, Howell TBI, DUI ignition, Luk ProGold Performance clutch, Red w/ black hard top, one sexy cornfed boy behind the wheel.
schvilktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Iv got the 1500 and LOVE IT! It hauls my dirtbikes and tows my trailers.
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Signed papers on one yesterday. Should have some pics soon, managed to find a Deep Blue Metallic SLE2

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.