2001 Cherokee Shimmying and knocking noise when hitting bumps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 2001 Cherokee Shimmying and knocking noise when hitting bumps

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-11-2002, 09:30 AM   #1
Rory

2001 Cherokee Shimmying and knocking noise when hitting bumps

Hi

I have a shimmying problem and a knocking noise. It was real bad when i hit the brakes the steering wheel shakes violently. I changed the brake pads and that helped. I just changed the tires also but still at 40-50 mph when I brake it still does it, not as bad but nevertheless it still is annoying.

Another problem I have that may be relevant is that when i hit bumps, like hard small bumps, potholes etc, I get a knocking noise from somewhere in the front of the jeep. Its like a heavey click every hit it takes. Though my brakes have been changed and the local JEEP Dealer looked over the rotars and suspension etc, they said everything seems okay. I just dont believe it is supposed to be making this noise or shaking like that. It is a 2001 4dr 2wd Jeep Cherokee Sports. Any ideas would be helpful ... thanks

Rory Knowles
Nassau, Bahamas

Unread 01-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
clegger

I would start by turning the rotors. By the time the brakes wear out, there has been enough heat on the rotors to warp them. Then start looking at tie rods and wheel bearings. The noise you are hearing when you hit a bump could be a couple of things. My 90' is making the same noise and it is the exhaust pipe hitting the transmission crossmember. It could also be one or both of the shocks are loose and are moving around.

Good luck
Matt

Tags
XJ cherokee , cherokee , knocking , noise , bumps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.