1st motorcycle advise - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 1st motorcycle advise

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #46
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I finally purchased a bike. A 2013 Suzuki tu250x. It will be delivered tuesday morning. I bought a Joe rocket mesh jacket that has a removable liner, gloves and a full face helmet. Tomorrow I will register for my motorcycle safety course, and get insurance. Thanks to everyone for the great advise.

gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #47
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstudeny View Post
I finally purchased a bike. A 2013 Suzuki tu250x. It will be delivered tuesday morning. I bought a Joe rocket mesh jacket that has a removable liner, gloves and a full face helmet. Tomorrow I will register for my motorcycle safety course, and get insurance. Thanks to everyone for the great advise.
Congrats and enjoy it. Just as a heads up id invest in a leather jacket at some point, it's worth walking away without any road rash
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #48
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought some relatively inexpensive gear. I wanted to see what my needs and preferences are before I drop major coin on gear. It may not be the smartest idea but I would be rather pissed if I spend $600 on a helmet and didn't like it not to mention the added expenses of all the other gear.
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #49
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

does that mesh jacket include spine protection ?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #50
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The jacket protection has back protection. It has protection from the shoulder down to the wrist.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #51
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Congrats on the new bike, and take that class like you mean it.. then follow up with the advanced class if its offered, some state have insurance discounts for completion.

Try to get a different jacket next season if it is polyester... The polyester will melt with friction during a high speed get off. There have been some serious 3rd degree burns and skin grafts documented over the years.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...mg5004_132.jpg

Use it for now, but always look to upgrade.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #52
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
Congrats on the new bike, and take that class like you mean it.. then follow up with the advanced class if its offered, some state have insurance discounts for completion.

Try to get a different jacket next season if it is polyester... The polyester will melt with friction during a high speed get off. There have been some serious 3rd degree burns and skin grafts documented over the years.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...mg5004_132.jpg

Use it for now, but always look to upgrade.
Just checked out the photos. Ouch!
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #53
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What material do you recommend for jackets? Keep in mind I'm in San Antonio. Its regularly 104 deg. right now and we have very mild winters.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #54
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
What material do you recommend for jackets? Keep in mind I'm in San Antonio. Its regularly 104 deg. right now and we have very mild winters.
You would be surprised how much air gets in a well ventilated leather jacket. Id rather sweat a bit than bleed, a good reason to keep hydrated also
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #55
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the bike. Let us know when you are sick of the 250cc's in about a month. A moped is going to seem like a rocket.

But seriously, congrats on your first bike.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #56
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone mentioed the Aprilia Mana 850? Nice naked bike plus it has a CVT transmission (no clutch) you can ride in auto or shift gears like normally, but again with no clutch. really nice bike and not very exp.

I will be picking one up hopefully sometime next year.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #57
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be happy with a Honda Rebel. I miss riding.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #58
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
If you go textile look at pretty much anything denier, typically, a higher denier rating is applied to area that are likely to spend anytime on the pavement, and primary initial hit areas.

Like 1000 in the elbow area, ( I believe this rating is actually how many pounds per square inch is required to tear the fabric), naturally, if its not stitched in well, its not worth the money.

Granted you live in texas, so unless you really, really, need goretex in the jacket, stay away from it as it doesn't breathe like normal fabric..
Stay away from nylon, (another melter).

Not knowing you style, but look over that site I mentioned before, then review the writeup. Maybe an adventure jacket with a zip in liner would suit you well. Look for ventilation, zips under the armpits and such.
Also think about the color, black is common, but hotter than hell on a sunny day, then there are the hi-viz colors, you will likely hear about in your class.

if you are on a fairly low budget, cortech/tourmaster makes some very good motorcycle clothing, however with the color schemes, ya either like it or ya don't.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourm...ries-3-jacket/
Firstgear also makes a great jacket for 180.00
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/first...jacket-review/
They can be had under 200 on sale and also check ebay from time to time once you find one you think you like.
I'm at the high end of gear now, a Darian Jacket, and heated liner for winter riding here in PA.

Just always be sure to review any protective wear prior to purchase.

Enjoy your new machine,
Tol
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #59
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My bike was delivered this morning. Rode it in the parking lot of my apartment complex for about 30 min. I don't want to be a complete noon at my motorcycle safety course. I still need to get a lock and a cover. I'm considering chaining it to my tj since neither is my daily drive.
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #60
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Put about 60 miles on my bike riding around the neighborhood over the past few days. Had to add some oil because the dealer didn't put enough which I thought was weird. I start my 2 day motorcycle safety course tomorrow 7-4. It will be a long day.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.