1st motorcycle advise - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 1st motorcycle advise

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Long straight roads are easy. It's learning to run the twisty's that takes some getting used to. Steer left to go right, etc.

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

"Ride your own pace"

"Dress for the crash"

"recognize danger before its dangerous, learn to see"

No where to be, and all day to get there!
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch505 View Post
And I really would avoid a "starter" you'll wish you would have saved your money and spent it a little more wisely.
I tend to disagree with this. Riding motorcycles is a lot like shooting hand guns.
Everybody wants to go big then "grow" into it. Most of the time the result is dis-satifaction due to the owners inability to control the weapon (bike) or bad habits born of it's traits, or worse.
I believe a solid starter bike is the way to go. Minimal investment, simplistic design, mild traits, and a low initial price (coupled with an equal re-sale value).
As stated earlier, it has to be big enough to safely move you at highway speeds, yet not so large or powerfull that it is difficult to manauver or will get away from you in a panic situation.
Dual sports handling traits are poor compared to street bikes, but they are usually very simple to work on, give you a better visual area, and make you easier to see. They can also be used as secondary transportation for hunting or scooting off to your favorite fishing hole. A 450-650cc engine will give you a good amount of power. Kawasaki, Suzuki and KTM offer a selection of excellent bikes, many running in the mid $2000 region.
Mid sized street bikes are IMHO, a good choice for somebody starting into street riding. Cruiser styles offer a wide range of engine sizes, as well as a variety of seat heights. They also force you to sit up, giving a wider field of view and making you more visible. Many solid older bikes can be had for under a grand. Inlines such as the CB series are claw hammer reliable and fairly cheap. Their seat height can be a bit taller than others and they are a bit sportier.
Others, such the Kawasaki LTD, Honda Shadow, and Yamaha Virago, offer low seat height (including a lower center of gravity), reliability, and low cost in a number of engine sizes.
Remember, if you opt for a used bike, insure your happy with the mechanical condition of it. Replacing tires, brakes, and carb adjustments can turn a "bargain" bike into an investment.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

My advice is to spend money on classes, and get out there and practice!
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Motorcycle safety class is mandatory here in Texas to get my license to.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My first street bike was a Kaw. EX500. Sporty and really easy to control. I've since had a couple CBR's & honda cruisers (shadow). I would recommend starting with something around a 500 not too fast, not heavy, and has enough getup & go to enjoy.

#1 safety equipment. DOT approved helmet (full face) Leather Motorcycle Jacket, always wear jeans, leather boots, and motorcycle gloves.

With me & all my friends, it wasn't if you'd dump it, it was more like when, so be prepared. I dumped my last CBR going around a turn at about 10 mph, got the front tire into some gravel. WNY roads SUCK!

When I rode it to trade it in on my Quad, my wife was following me (in our Jeep GC) & I had 4 people almost run me off the road. Haven't been on a bike since. People just don't pay attention anymore.

Saying that....I really miss riding, just gives you that "one with nature" feeling. Love it. Be safe & watch everyone else.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I tend to disagree with this. Riding motorcycles is a lot like shooting hand guns.
Everybody wants to go big then "grow" into it. Most of the time the result is dis-satifaction due to the owners inability to control the weapon (bike) or bad habits born of it's traits, or worse.
just be careful because just like a used hi point 9mm you will have a hard time reselling it now if you start out with sig p229 you'll probably keep it forever
Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #23
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

i would give the kawasaki ninja 250 and 500 a look. neither have the extreme racing position and are close to a standard position. both are good bikes to learn on. the 500 has a bit of speed to it. make sure you don't skimp on safety gear, including a good well fitting helmet. i use a full face. some guys just learning say the full face limits their vision until they get used to the smaller mirrors on bikes. i always wear gloves, spine and neck protection. kevlar jeans and gloves. and ridding boots.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
i would give the kawasaki ninja 250 and 500 a look. neither have the extreme racing position and are close to a standard position. both are good bikes to learn on. the 500 has a bit of speed to it. make sure you don't skimp on safety gear, including a good well fitting helmet. i use a full face. some guys just learning say the full face limits their vision until they get used to the smaller mirrors on bikes. i always wear gloves, spine and neck protection. kevlar jeans and gloves. and ridding boots.
I second this all! Good gear might seem expensive, but it'll pay for itself when you walk away from a spill and don't have to go to the ER.

Start out small there's always time to upgrade later, plus your beginner mistakes are magnified greatly on a larger motorcycle

I've owned 2 Suzuki and 2 Kawasaki motorcycles (250 cc, two 600cc, and 1000cc sport bikes). I took my gsxr 6 surfing (flood blind turn and hydroplaned it) on the highway at 75mph. Walked away with rashed up leather jacket boots and gloves, bike had a busted front brake lever. Picked myself up rode the 350 miles home. Can't wait to buy another motorcycle. They're dangerous but nothing beats the feeling
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #25
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1289 View Post
They're dangerous but nothing beats the feeling
Riding, in a nutshell.

I second the idea for getting a full-face helmet rather than a half-head or w/e. I have a half and I just rode 4800 miles across America, and after all that wind and noise, I will definitely be getting a full helmet before next season.

On the note of how big to go: I'd say it's up to you. You have experience on dirtbikes, just like I did before I got my first bike. I decided to go with a 650 because I wanted to be able to cruise on the highway, and I knew I trusted myself with a bigger engine. My father, among other people, kept telling me to start small and I would just end up killing myself, but I knew my limitations and I knew I could handle the power and not abuse it.

Good luck ride safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
I knew I could handle the power and not abuse it.
With great power, comes great responsibility!
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've gotten tons of great advise. Thanks. I will update after I complete my safety class and purchase my bike.
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #28
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

also keep in mind, i like kawasaki as they all seem to have a bit more speed than other brands, a quick downshift and a twist of the throttle can get you out of harms way. quick bursts of speed is not always a bad thing. comfort on the bike is also key for safe riding.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
Cause
WHAT !!!!

OK, stop with all the krap 'Nancy advice'...

Get yourself a Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX 1300R), put on a pair of shorts, tee shirt, and a pair of those cheap k-mart foam sole flip-flops... and take off. Head for the first Interstate you can jet to and open that thing UP... rated to up to over 240 mph, find out if it will do it and if you got the stones to hang on.... you may choose to opt for a pair of sunglasses!
^^ get some real street cred, or you'll be known as PeeWeeHerman!!!!!

Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
OK, stop with all the krap 'Nancy advice'...

Get yourself a Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX 1300R), put on a pair of shorts, tee shirt, and a pair of those cheap k-mart foam sole flip-flops... and take off. Head for the first Interstate you can jet to and open that thing UP... rated to up to over 240 mph, find out if it will do it and if you got the stones to hang on.... you may choose to opt for a pair of sunglasses!
^^ get some real street cred, or you'll be known as PeeWeeHerman!!!!!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ttKSUYhps
I like your style. If I didn't have two kids to support and the funds for the bike I would consider it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.