1st motorcycle advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 1st motorcycle advise

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

1st motorcycle advise

I'm looking to get my motorcycle license soon and a motorcycle. I have been looking at the Suzuki tu250x. I'm not looking to be stupid fast, vibrate my butt off, be loud, or look super cool. This will be my first motorcycle. I have ridden ATVs and dirt bikes some. It will be just something to cruise and have fun on. So I'm looking for advise on a beginner bike and riding equipment.

gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

You’re looking at the right type of bike. Look at dual sports too if you are comfortable on dirt bikes, they are also more forgiving should you drop it. Get a comfortable helmet and jacket. Jackets, good one, are expensive but having the right one will keep you wearing it. So many folks just wear sneakers and t shirts. My hospital makes great money from their skin grafts. Most important. Situational awareness. Always have a plan B, someone will do something stupid in front of you. Lastly ride, ride, ride nothing teaches like doing. Have fun.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any recommendations on specific brands of gear? I live in San Antonio so keeping cool is a priority. I don't have to worry with cold or rain.
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I donít have any brand advice. I shopped by features. My current jacket is a Tourmaster Series 2. I have this one because of its pocket placement, that it has real hard armor, not just pads, in the elbows, shoulders, forearm and spine. A really good removable liner, Iím in Mass so cold is an issue. And its vent set up. This thing feels like a t shirt in 90+ temps because it vents and moves air so well.
So Iíd say get out there and try stuff on. See what you like, what will work for you. Donít settle. Get what you want. Iíve found when Iíve settled. I didnít wear the stuff and gear you donít use is pointless.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Suzuki SV650s are great starter bikes. I don't ride a lot but I've ridden my buds SV650 a few times and really like it and from what I have read it is a very well behaved bike and it suits beginners well.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just went through the same process this year. This spring I got an 82 zuk GS650. Pretty much the older version of what you're looking at. Like other people said get comfortable gear, and also consider some gloves.

Suzuki's are great bikes. Keep the oil changed regularly and they'll go forever. I just rolled over 22k on mine yesterday. I'm on my way back to Michigan from Seattle, WA and the only trouble I've had is a dead battery after 2700 miles in 6 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I pretty much have to get gloves,helmet, and boots for my safety course. I would get them anyways though.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Full-face helmet. Anything else is just a fashion accessory. If you ever need it, you'll be glad you did. Make sure it fits. I had Shoei after several cheap helmets. Worth every penny. Riding for hours on end listening to wistles and buffeting will ruin your ride. The Shoei fit and was quiet.
Unread 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

I had a 250cc sport bike for my first one. I got a Scorpion helmet and have been really happy with it. Still use it actually. Have considered getting a new one just for a change but it is a very comfortable helmet. I had an Alpine Stars jacket I bought off a buddy and liked it. I liked the fit alot. It was a textile jacket but fit well. It was just a little to warm for summers so I got a lighter weight Joe Rocket jacket. It is comfy but I think the fit on the Alpine Stars was better. I plan to go to a leather jacket at some point. Make sure your jacket has some kind of padding in it. Don't just get an every day jacket to wear. I have a set of leather Alpine Stars gloves that are very comfy and also a pair of lighter weight textile gloves. Those won't offer a whole lot of protection really. I have always heard good things about Shoei helmets and I completely agree about going full face. Alot of people seem to prefer a tinted visor. While I like the look and the handy tint during the day, if you are riding at night I see issue with it. You either have to look through the tint at night or ride with your shield up all the time which I know from experience can result in bugs in the eyes. I have always just used a clear shield and wore some sunglasses under my helmet but that is personal preference.
jamesrw30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Over 350cc's. You need the extra cubes at highway speeds
Under 750cc's
Older Japenese bike in good shape (reliable and cheap)
Insure the seat height is correct and you are comfortable with the weight and CG.
I would advise either a dual sport or cruiser. Both of these styles give you a more vertical riding stance for better visibility, and tend to keep the insurance rates down.
DON'T SKIMP ON PROPER GEAR. A good full faced helmet and gloves are the minimal requirements. Always wear shoes and long pants/sleeves. Somewhat nerdy, but a high vis vest or neon helmet painting scheme is a huge postive. The biggest danger in street riding is the stupid idiot texting while eating while driving. That is the guy/gal who will whip out in front of you and maim your *** on the spot.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
KHoff90

Standard
  • Honda CB500F
  • Honda CB 350/400/750
  • Honda Grom
  • Kawasaki ER-5 and ER-6N
  • KTM Duke 390
  • Suzuki TU-250
  • Suzuki GW250
  • Suzuki GS500
  • Suzuki Bandit 400
  • Suzuki SV650/Gladius/SFV650
  • Triumph Bonneville/Scrambler/Thruxton

Sport
  • Honda CBR250R
  • Honda CBR500R
  • Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250)
  • Kawasaki Ninja 300
  • Kawasaki Ninja 500 (EX500)
  • Kawasaki Ninja 650R (ER6f)
  • Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • BMW G 650 GS
  • Honda CRF250L
  • Honda CB500X
  • Honda NC700X
  • Kawasaki KLR650
  • Kawasaki Versys (KLE650)
  • Suzuki DRZ-400
  • Suzuki V-Strom 650 (DL650)
  • Yamaha WR250

Cruiser
  • Honda Rebel 250
  • Honda Shadow 600
  • Honda Shadow 750
  • Harley Davidson Sportster 883
  • Yamaha Virago 750
  • Yamaha Star Bolt
  • Suzuki Boulevard S40/LS650/Savage

Source

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
jfed85
2005 WK 

I was always told to go small and work up, but I believe that if you respect what the bike is capable of you can learn on most anything. My first bike was a Kawasaki ZX-9R. Bought it and rode it home...riding it home was the first time I ever rode a motorcycle. Traded up to a CBR 600RR (yes, up...zx-9r was carbeurated, 600RR dual-stage fuel injection) and here I am 6 years later, still in one piece, and never down. Buy what you want and respect it for what it is and you shouldnt have any issues. Dont ride above your abilities.
jfed85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Being in Texas there's not a lot of BLM land so trail riding is probably out of the question so a dual sport would probably bad investment. I would avoid a 250cc like the the herps. And I really would avoid a "starter" you'll wish you would have saved your money and spent it a little more wisely. I've owned everything from supermoto to home built chops (when I say home built I mean even the frame). I do have a fondness towards Harley (pre twin cam). How much are you wanting to spend? What are your friends riding? If your friends aren't riding god I hate saying this but..... What kind of crowd would you like to ride with and check out what their ridding. I don't mean to rag on the 250s but if their quick off the line their gonna be a dog on the hwy and vice versa. A kick *** old shovel head can be had for under 4k and the same can be said about most older sport bikes. And like everyone else said wear good gear I've rode on probably 10 funerals 3 of them were really good friends and most could have been avoided if the riders wore their safety gear
Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Blank
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any friends that ride so I'm not trying to keep up with anyone or impress anyone. I'm for getting a bike just for my own pleasure. I do have concerns about highway riding when I get to that point. We have a lot of major highways here in San Antonio that will be hard to avoid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.