JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   1st JEEP, gotta few questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/1st-jeep-gotta-few-questions-955007/)

BERL 01-23-2010 01:10 PM

1st JEEP, gotta few questions

I have always dreamed of having a Jeep, and my dream came true about 2 hours ago. I bought a 1999 Wrangler SE, hard and soft top, 31" Dunlop Mud Rover's, with no rust, and 100,000 miles for $6000. I think I got a pretty good deal. It was previously owned by a friend who was a mechanic and took great care of it. My concern is that he told me it got about 13 mpg, which I expected. I have been driving it all morning interstate/city, and getting about 9.5 mpg. My question is, do you think the mileage is off because of the enlarged tire size paired with the 4 cyl, or a combination of the gear ratio/4 cyl/31" tires(I think it is 4.11 ratio)?

Im new to this, and don't know much about this stuff. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank's in advance,
BERL

Tarukai 01-23-2010 01:16 PM

It's probably a combination of the gearing/tire size/engine, as well as city driving. City driving is horrible on these things.

if you either reduced the gearing a bit or made the tires smaller, you'd be going better with mileage.

FmrVette 01-23-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERL (Post 8748377)
..a 1999 Wrangler SE, hard and soft top, 31" Dunlop Mud Rover's...he told me it got about 13 mpg, which I expected. I have been driving it all morning interstate/city, and getting about 9.5 mpg. My question is, do you think the mileage is off because of the enlarged tire size paired with the 4 cyl?

BERL

Berl,

Welcome to the forum and Jeep ownership.

How are you determining gas mileage? GPS or odometer? If the original owner mounted 31" tires and didn't change the speedometer gear then the odometer will be off.

My 4 banger YJ got about 14 mpg, mixed driving with standard tires. (It was a 4 banger auto trans and couldn't get out of it's own way :laugh:).

How fast on the highway? MPG can drop horribly when speeds of 70 mph are reached - the Jeep is a lot of things, but "aerodynamic" isn't one of those things. Do a few runs at 55 mph, refuel, do the same runs at 70 mph and check the difference.

Also driving style is huge - my wife drives my Commander once in a while and she consistently gets less mpg than I do. The lady has a lead foot when taking off from lights :laugh:. The original driver might not have been as aggressive with the throttle as you are.

If mpg is important to you, consider putting in an inexpensive vacuum gauge - not difficult to do or expensive, the gauge will let you know when you're in the throttle too heavy for good mpg.

9.5 is really pretty low, even for a Jeep. You don't get much of an "up" because it's the four cylinder over a six cylinder - the 4 has to work harder to move the vehicle so the mpg isn't much (if any) better on the smaller engine.

Mileage aside, you're going to love your new ride!

Have fun, be safe, don't wheel alone.

BERL 01-23-2010 01:39 PM

Thanx,
Im gonna try cruising the interstate around 55 and see what happens

Carl48 01-23-2010 03:28 PM

Welcome to Jeep ownership. This forum is a good place regarding all things Jeep.

You need to drive a bit more and recalculate after several fill-ups in order to get a better picture of your mileage. My 95 YJ (4 cyl, 5 spd manual, P225/75R15s) regularly gets 20 mpg combined city/highway.

The 31" tires aren't helping the gas mileage. However, as mentioned, the odometer may not be accurate if the VSS was not re-geared when the big tires were installed. With the big tires you are actually going farther than the odometer states so your mileage may not be as bad as indicated.

BERL 01-23-2010 04:29 PM

I went 35 miles round trip on the interstate, while getting my mileage off of my GPS, and driving 55 mph. The result was 24 mpg! It seems to good to be true, but Ill take it...cant wait for spring, or the snow storm coming this week! Thanks Again...

Grape Ape 01-23-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERL (Post 8749282)
I went 35 miles round trip on the interstate, while getting my mileage off of my GPS, and driving 55 mph. The result was 24 mpg! It seems to good to be true, but Ill take it...cant wait for spring, or the snow storm coming this week! Thanks Again...

Berl, one thing to remember. 4x4 helps you go in the snow but is does not help you stop. So when the snow hits enjoy your ability to get around in it but drive slowly and smoothly no sudden steering, gas or braking as the jeep is very short and can get crooked very fast.

The time now is 06:40 AM.