1982 Renault Fuego Turbo Coupe sale - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 1982 Renault Fuego Turbo Coupe sale

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
shok47
1983 CJ7 

1982 Renault Fuego Turbo Coupe sale

There is a ad on craigslist who is selling a garaged 19 years black Fuego in his garage, no rot, electric moon roof, tape player, 5 speed, brown leather interior.

has 71k original miles. Does not start, but turns and turns he says.

Asking $1000. He said he is moving and cannot even get pictures since his camera is packed away in boxes. Is this a good deal to work on??

From my research seems like these cars were pretty limited.

Unread 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

I suspect an 80s Renault is nothing short of maddening to wrench on.

My only experience was seeing my neighbors' Le Car, and remembering them having to take the spare tire off the top of the engine to do anything to it!

Last edited by Cards81fan; 02-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: my word choice was nonsensical...
Cards81fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
shok47
1983 CJ7 

Im sure of that, but what about the collectors value? I know the parts will be hard to come by
Unread 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If its that mint, I would buy it and get it running at the least. If you dont like it flip it and make some money.

I dont think it would be maddening to wrench on. All motors start the same, and only need for things (well gas)

-Spark
-Compression
-Air
-Fuel

Make those 4 happen and you will have a runner. It sounds so intact its probably something stupid like a gummy carb, corroded wire in some loom somewhere or whatever.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of the family bought one of those new in the '80's. Biggest pile o' crap ever. It spent more time in the dealership than in her driveway. I say run away - especially at $1,000.

If you could get it for $500 or less, spend no money on parts while attempting to figure out what it needs to make it run - i.e. don't get into the parts swapping game figuring that you'll hit the right part eventually. Depending on the cost to repair, you could at least maybe come out even if you parted it out or you could have a runner if you can fix it for cheap.

If you do buy it/get it running for cheap, cut it loose when anything expensive breaks - don't get caught in the 1980's fringe-brand European car trap, because it will bankrupt you if it can.

Edit: There is no collectors value. Renault brings up painful memories of bad rubbish in this country.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a Renault alliance as a DD back in '85. It had just 5000 miles on it and I paid right around $5000 out the door. A year later at 13,000 miles the tranny was toast, belching fluid out the dip stick. Two different transmission shops told me it was the second most expensive transmission to repair at the time. My wife still likes to bring that POS up any time she think I am wasting money on a vehicle purchase. I would think there is little to no collector value with these cars but, a few internet searches should give you some indication. They built them here but, the dome light was located above the drivers door and every time I looked at it I saw "made in france" molded into it. That car was truly the low point in my car buying history. I would say save your money.
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
If its that mint, I would buy it and get it running at the least. If you dont like it flip it and make some money.

I dont think it would be maddening to wrench on. All motors start the same, and only need for things (well gas)

-Spark
-Compression
-Air
-Fuel

Make those 4 happen and you will have a runner. It sounds so intact its probably something stupid like a gummy carb, corroded wire in some loom somewhere or whatever.
Yes, but how the car maker made those four things accessible under the hood can be quite different. That and parts availability. It's been what, 24 years since they imported any Renault vehicles in the US?
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable. Remember Renault pulled out of the US because no one wanted to buy their pile of junk cars.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
insanitize
Jeepin Old Man

2007 JK Wrangler 

Stay away from it. I had a friend with one that was nothing but trouble. Electrical issues, multiple trannys, never seemed to run right. He tried for two years then he just couldn't take it anymore any used it as a hammer car in a car show. You know where you pay a buck to hit the car with a sledge hammer.
v8 some mods. lifted
and other assorted old iron
insanitize is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.