1960 Jeep Utility Wagon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 1960 Jeep Utility Wagon

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Shadytom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1960 Jeep Utility Wagon

I recently picked up a 1960 Jeep wagon in excellent condition. I'm just trying to get some thoughts and opinions as to some upgrades that may be available.

I would like to keep it as original as possible. She will be used as a DD. I've never understood doing all the restore work just to keep her locked up in a big 'ol box.

Super Hurricane 6-226
Manual shift
4x4

Currently just waiting for tags to come in so I can get it out on the road and start this restore.

Thanks for any input.

Shadytom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures????
Unread 10-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The simple stuff.......

Front disk/11" wagoneer drum brakes
Dual brake master cylinder
Alternator upgrade/12V conversion
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
MRknowitall666
1950 M-38 

Pics??? One of the best vehicles ever and no pics yet?
Unread 10-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Petronics electronic ignition distributor if it hasn't been done yet. Nice stereo and cruise around showing it off.

http://www.vintagevibes.net/jeep_cj.htm

I know it is for a later model CJ but will still look good in it with the rest of the components scattered (hidden).

Need pics to be able to give any other advice.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
Shadytom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1960 Wagon

I apologize. I never knew there was any responses here.

I wanted to keep this as original as possible but after long thoughts, I need this to be more efficient and economical too. Let's say, more up to date.

I also have a '91 YJ with a tweaked frame that I'm not interested in fixing, so all parts are available. Also parts from an 88 YJ. Including the 258.

I've decided to restore the body to original but upgrade the drivetrain and some components.

Before anyone suggests it, I'm not putting any motor in that is not in the JEEP family. I'm set on using this 4.0L bc I have history with it. Thank you.

My thoughts are simple:
1960 Jeep Wagon
4.0L HO motor (1991 YJ)
AX-15 (1991 YJ)
Novak Adapter (AX-15 to T-18)
Original Dana 44 and Dana 27 rears

The reason for using the T-18 instead of the NP 231J are bc the Dana 27 is a passenger side drop. The NP231J is drivers side. People have said to upgrade the front axle to the Dana 30 from the YJ. I'm not going that route bc the Dana 30 is drivers side drop, different gear ratio, and also lug pattern. I believe it MAY also be a slightly different width. Yes, it is set up for power steering and disc brakes, which would only require me to rebuild the rear axle at that point. I'm still factoring and figuring $$$ on that aspect.

As far as the motor is concerned, I ordered a kit from CLIFFORDS PERFORMANCE. I AM degrading to a carbureted engine. I work with computers all the time but rather not have them in my vehicle. With a new intake, dual exhaust. Other upgrades also include ignition system and cold air intake. If you've made it this far, please comment or give me some feedback. I'll appreciate it either way. BTW, I AM AN AMATEUR at this. I do know how to read and use tools tho. Thanks all.
20151008_184045.jpg   20151008_184149.jpg   20151030_122801.jpg   20151030_122712.jpg  
Unread 11-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
Shadytom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention, If someone could correct me if I'm wrong, I believe I read something about using the 258 crank and rods. (@ 4.5 stroker IIRC)

Last edited by Shadytom; 11-01-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Unread 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #8
HubDeepDriver

Dip it in Chocolate, cause that's sweet like candy! Seriously. You've been gifted with a relatively rust free vintage Jeep. Obviously you are favored by a divine power. I agree with other posters though, install electronic ignition and disc brakes. Avoid the temptation to install a turbocharged Cadillac V8. ( If I had known that image would still be with me after all these years I would have gouged my eyes out! Well, maybe not, but I'd have worn dark glasses at the least. )
HubDeepDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.