18% tax on sugary drinks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 18% tax on sugary drinks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
OFFRoadinEV4N
1996 ZJ 

18% tax on sugary drinks

The great state of New York is proposing an 18% tax on sugary drinks to cut down on all the "tubbies" walking around the city. This is great now it will cost just $5.00 for a can of coke in the city. They say it will help the obesity problem but that is ridiculous. Soda is not the main problem in a hefty persons diet. I don't know if it is better to be living in NJ or NY.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #361
OFFRoadinEV4N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
OFFRoadinEV4N
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVApunkROCK View Post
New York
yea maybe, but they might ban salt or pepper next!
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
wk4u2nv
2006 WK 

if i cant get my saltines anymore heads will roll
wk4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

How long before someone sues over discrimination?

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
BradMechanic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the most retarded thing ive heard today, I mean its definatly not the fast food thats making them fat. WTF?!?!
BradMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Fast food doesn't make you fat.
Not exercising does.

Quote:
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
OFFRoadinEV4N
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMechanic View Post
Thats the most retarded thing ive heard today, I mean its definatly not the fast food thats making them fat. WTF?!?!
What it is going to do is make the fat people poorer because they will be shoveling out that extra dough for sugary drinks. NY needs more revenue but this is not the way to go about getting it- maybe eliminating some programs? That might be a start.
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFRoadinEV4N View Post
Soda is not the main problem in a hefty persons diet.
Just to play devil's advocate, there have been studies that have shown that if people just changed what they drank without changing what they ate, they'd be healthier. One study suggested that if a person cut soda and all other excessively sugary drinks out of their diet they'd lose 20 lbs.
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Xander

Thats why I stick with Zero Carb Rock Star or Spike

Does this mean that they are going to tax Starbucks and all the other over charging, sugar pumping coffee drink places as well?
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the regular soda that makes people fat it's the diet stuff that does. This has been proven, because when you drink diet pop your body tastes suger but gets no calories so it makes you hungry until you get calories. So it is much healthier to drink regular pop in moderation. Maybe we should add a 20% tax on all fast food, because we know the 500 cal, 20g of fat big mac will make you fat.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
It's not the regular soda that makes people fat it's the diet stuff that does. This has been proven, because when you drink diet pop your body tastes suger but gets no calories so it makes you hungry until you get calories. So it is much healthier to drink regular pop in moderation. Maybe we should add a 20% tax on all fast food, because we know the 500 cal, 20g of fat big mac will make you fat.
I think Chicago already does this.

Why don't we just tax everything that is sold at a certain rate? Then we could just call it a sales tax instead of making up all these funny names.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alcohol is taxed higher, cigarettes too... this isn't that shocking to me...

But where do they stop now? Stupidity tax for everyone buying bottled water instead of turning on the faucet?
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
Solution:

Assassinate Paterson.

/thread.
That is a cunning plan, that I bet he would not see coming!
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Both make you fat. useless calories which only give you a jump in energy. Sure it sucks taht theyre taxing on sugar, and it actually reminds me of pre American revolution. However, do we really need those sugary drinks? Now maybe people might drink juice...100% that is.(i know its sugar but im sure it wouldnt be taxed). Though then again, its our freedom to, I know.
KodiakBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.