Wifes CCW ideas. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Wifes CCW ideas.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
AppStateTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Posts: 35
Wifes CCW ideas.

Wife just got her carry permit and I was wondering what the other girls are packing. 38 spl 380 9mm?

Thanks

AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
Well i dont have a wife( got an ex) and my current girl doesnt pack, however I used to have a Glock 26 in 9mm, it was easily concealable and with the mag extension it fit my hand well. Without the extension i couldnt get my pinky finger on the grip. Definitely for a smaller mitt than mine
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
DeltaForceB85
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 364
A 380 will not give you the recommended penetration needed to punch through the chest cavity to vital organs. It has horrible terminal ballistics. It's a sucky round and a HORRIBLE self defense choice.

A lot of my lady friends like the Glock 26 (9mm). Just enough weight to manage the recoil, not enough to rip a hole in their purse.

Source: Im a LEO and gun nut.
__________________
-Josh
2008 Jeep Liberty KK W/Selec Trac II, ADL Skid Plate Group, 245/70/16 All Terrain Destinations, VisionX LED Floodlights. It's a real jeep. Don't like it? Wait let me check. Yep, still a real jeep.
DeltaForceB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,920
I disagree on the 380, its the minimum round id recommend for sd. Depending on the shooter and the conceal options it can be pretty decent as long as you use a premium bullet. There are definitely better,but a well placed 380 is better than the 45 you left at home. And l there are folks that even the 9mm isnt friendly to them. Amongst my arsenal is a pocket sized 380 that goes when nothing else can.

Retired le and gun nut
__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,920
Beyond that i have an almost pocket sized 9mm, doesnt bother me at all but those ive taught to shoot hate it. Ive had 2 pocket 40'sover the years. I have 0 now and will never buy another one. After that full size 9mm, 40, 45, 460, 38, 357, 44 mag and my big bang, 7mm-08.

In about 2 weeks odds are ill be adding a 10mm.

Women actualy have a lot more options than men for conceal. As long as 1 they can draw cleanly and 2 dont lose their purse,most can conceal my savage striker. If my elk load doesnt do the job, rin the **** away! If you are considering a purse carryshe can have whatever she likes to shoot.
__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
AppStateTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Posts: 35
Thanks guys. This gives us a great starting point. We are going to the store tomorrow to see what she likes.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
My ex mother in law bought a beretta tomcat in 380. Was really a neat little pistol with some neat features like the tip up barrel so you can load one directly into the chamber then just work the hammer without pulling the slide back. A great idea especially for women who cant pull the slide back and dont want a wheel gun.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
I disagree on the 380, its the minimum round id recommend for sd. Depending on the shooter and the conceal options it can be pretty decent as long as you use a premium bullet. There are definitely better,but a well placed 380 is better than the 45 you left at home. And l there are folks that even the 9mm isnt friendly to them. Amongst my arsenal is a pocket sized 380 that goes when nothing else can.

Retired le and gun nut
I agree also. Just a gun nut here. Fwiw id rather have my lady put 10 rounds of .22lr in someones chest( ok or face) then maybe one of my .45 in their arm.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,604
It seems most of the lower power rounds, ie. 38 spl, 380 etc. have had their share of detractors over the years. I've read and heard of good results with the .380 as a defence round but have never shot anyone with mine to really say for sure. What I can say is that it's always with me and it's easy to carry and reliable. I'd much rather have my 1911 .45 if I had the choice but for me as a civilian it's not that practical to carry day in day out. Revolvers are a good way to go with women as the slides on these small autos are hard to cycle. But then it's not likely she's going to shoot more than the mag holds anyway so they slide isn't an issue. Now if it jams that's another story. In then end if you buy something that doesn't work for her trade it off and get something else. That's why we seem to have a few more guns than we need anyway
Glad to see your wife arming herself.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
It seems most of the lower power rounds, ie. 38 spl, 380 etc. have had their share of detractors over the years. I've read and heard of good results with the .380 as a defence round but have never shot anyone with mine to really say for sure. What I can say is that it's always with me and it's easy to carry and reliable. I'd much rather have my 1911 .45 if I had the choice but for me as a civilian it's not that practical to carry day in day out. Revolvers are a good way to go with women as the slides on these small autos are hard to cycle. But then it's not likely she's going to shoot more than the mag holds anyway so they slide isn't an issue. Now if it jams that's another story. In then end if you buy something that doesn't work for her trade it off and get something else. That's why we seem to have a few more guns than we need anyway
Glad to see your wife arming herself.
Why the beretta tomcat makes a great weapon for a woman
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,019
My wife hates my Glock 26. It's too small and light for her. I got it b/c I have a smaller frame for a guy and was worried about concealment. I may move to a G19 later, they aren't much bigger.
Single stacks hurt her hand, they're too narrow, despite feeling comfortable to hold.

The biggest caliber she can comfortably and accurately shoot a magazine into a 10" paper plate from a minimum of 50ft is the right gun.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
My wife hates my Glock 26. It's too small and light for her. I got it b/c I have a smaller frame for a guy and was worried about concealment. I may move to a G19 later, they aren't much bigger.
Single stacks hurt her hand, they're too narrow, despite feeling comfortable to hold.

The biggest caliber she can comfortably and accurately shoot a magazine into a 10" paper plate from a minimum of 50ft is the right gun.
Does she give you piggy back rides, lol. Joke joke, had to razz ya a tad
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
DeltaForceB85
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 364
Yeah I knew all the 380 and 22lr fans would come out the woodworks on this thread. Can't argue with the "experts" on jeep forum.

But here's the facts from the "real" experts AKA the FBI and Winchester. You're not gonna get much more premium than a Winchester ranger round. And you'll never do more research into terminal ballistics than the FBI.

http://gundata.org/blog/post/fbi-handgun-ballistics/

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-...RangerAmmo.gif

380 is JUNK.
__________________
-Josh
2008 Jeep Liberty KK W/Selec Trac II, ADL Skid Plate Group, 245/70/16 All Terrain Destinations, VisionX LED Floodlights. It's a real jeep. Don't like it? Wait let me check. Yep, still a real jeep.
DeltaForceB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85
Yeah I knew all the 380 and 22lr fans would come out the woodworks on this thread. Can't argue with the "experts" on jeep forum.

But here's the facts from the "real" experts AKA the FBI and Winchester. You're not gonna get much more premium than a Winchester ranger round. And you'll never do more research into terminal ballistics than the FBI.

http://gundata.org/blog/post/fbi-handgun-ballistics/

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-...RangerAmmo.gif

380 is JUNK.
Im not saying the .22 is a weapon of choice, i was just saying that if given a choice id rather have her hit the mark 10 times instead of maybe only once.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,176
The best fire arm is the one you carry with you, it doesnt matter what caliber it is. I have a myriad of fire arms but a .380 I can conceal in anything even board shorts so its my go to carry round 90% of the time. You can argue ballistics but unless youre on some drugs (or for some reason extremely determined) a guarantee if I put a few rounds into your chest cavity you would stop attacking regardless of what the experts say. You know because being shot freaking hurts!
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.