Where to drive on the beach - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Where to drive on the beach

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
will_nj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Where to drive on the beach

The gf and I are taking some east coast road trips and want to find a few places where offroading and maybe camping on the beach is legal. I know of a few places: Outerbanks, NC; Island Beach State Park NJ, etc but I'm wondering if there are more places out there on the East coast... Preferably where there's not a lot of red tape and permits to acquire. I know for OBX you can just pull off onto the beach almost anywhere. I'm not finding any good resources out there for this sort of thing so I thought this would be a good place to start a thread and document all the places. Thanks all!

Try to give as much info as possible:

directions:
regulations:

will_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
JandJ95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the East Coast, but in California Pismo (Oceano Dunes SVRA) in San Luis Obispo is the only beach you can drive on.
JandJ95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Boyjeepin
1980 CJ7 

Daytona Beach, FL. Can't camp and it closes at dusk. Plus I think its like $5/day or you can buy a yearly pass for like $25. Huguenot Memorial Park in Jacksonville, FL offers beach camping and driving, plus it is one of the best places for kite surfing on the east coast. Of course neither of these places is really "off-roading" just beach driving.

Almost forgot, there is some more places in Virginia and Maryland but I don't believe you can camp on those beaches either b/c they are national or state parks.

Pretty much if you want camping and off-roading don't go to the beach.
2001 XJ: MIA

Last edited by Boyjeepin; 07-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot about MD & VA
Boyjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
will_nj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Brigatine, nj is another but not cheap: Brigantine Beach NJ | 4-Wheel Drive
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

All of NJ's beach access points can be found here:
New Jersey Beach Buggy Association
Will-nj, where in nj are you located?
njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
will_nj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nj near sandy hook
Unread 07-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm not too far from you, according to the BBA site there is beach access at Sandy Hook, have you explored out there yet?
njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you cant camp on the beach in NC along the OBs. I looked into this a while ago. You do need 4wd to access most of the beaches though. There are some really cool spots and its easy to get away from everyone if you want. There is camping right along the beaches though, but you do have to pay.
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
DubyaJay
2002 WJ 

At Carolina Beach, NC just south of Wilmington, NC you can drive out on the beach and camp as well. Its called Freeman Park and you can get a day pass or a season permit from a lot of places down there. Just south of that you can do the same at Fort Fisher still I believe.
DubyaJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
beach , off road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.