what else do I need for reloading ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > what else do I need for reloading ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

what else do I need for reloading ?

I'm finally going to start reloading my own ammo but have questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a RCBS rock chucker supreme kit. Other than the kit, dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets what else MUST I buy in order to start making my own ammo. Thanks guys Allen.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

Unread 05-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
I'm finally going to start reloading my own ammo but have questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a RCBS rock chucker supreme kit. Other than the kit, dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets what else MUST I buy in order to start making my own ammo. Thanks guys Allen.

If reloading for pistol, carbide dies are the best. Depending on what caliber, you may want an additional die to perform that process. That's a good kit and covers most things. But you will want a good set of calipers, to measure case length. Therefore a case trimmer will be needed. A case tumbler is also nice to keep everything nice and clean. Crushed walnut shells for cleaning and crushed corn cob for polishing, with your favorite liquid auto wax to give the brass that nice luster finish.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry forgot to mention I will be reloading rifle ammo. Thanks for the Info. I'm swimming I would also need flash hole cleaners , chamfer/ deburring tool, case lube kit, ect. How do you know which dies to get looking in a Midway catalog there's so many. Will mainly be reloading 7mm Rem mag, and .270 win. 22/250 and .223.

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
bruteboy

I started with the rcbs press.I quickly upgraded to a multi stage press(dillon 550b)and digital scale.the single stage rcbs press is too slow as you need to reset your dies for each stage.if you have only one rifle per caliber,I would go with neck resizing dies.a case tumbler and media seperator will also save time.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Powder trickler, case trimmer, headspace/length gauge for each caliber
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

As bruteboy said, if only one rifle per caliber (unless you want to keep them separate) just neck size. The brass will last much longer, but it will also be fire formed for that specific rifle, so it won't fit quite rite in a different rifle.
Also, don't forget a good manual, and one of these are also really nice for a quick check. http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832215-...e+length+gauge
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieShep View Post
As bruteboy said, if only one rifle per caliber (unless you want to keep them separate) just neck size. The brass will last much longer, but it will also be fire formed for that specific rifle, so it won't fit quite rite in a different rifle.
Also, don't forget a good manual, and one of these are also really nice for a quick check. http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832215-...e+length+gauge
True, but if his 223 is an auto loader then a full length small base sizer will be needed to function properly in the gun.
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry forgot to mention I will be reloading rifle ammo. Thanks for the Info. I'm swimming I would also need flash hole cleaners , chamfer/ deburring tool, case lube kit, ect. How do you know which dies to get looking in a Midway catalog there's so many. Will mainly be reloading 7mm Rem mag, and .270 win. 22/250 and .223.

That kit comes with those items.
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will only be loading one rifle for each caliber. Anyone know what the difference is between the RCBS turret press and the progressive press, are they both a progressive press.

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I will only be loading one rifle for each caliber. Anyone know what the difference is between the RCBS turret press and the progressive press, are they both a progressive press.

Turret press allows you to have multiple dies installed and the same time. Great for the beginner, and one who does not produce great quantities at one time. Although I have been using mine for over 30 years, and love it. I make about 500 rounds a week with it. Progressive presses are for producing large quantities of ammo in a short period of time. Basically after it is all set up each pull of the handle produces a finished round. This is for more experienced reloaders that shoot hundreds of rounds a month.

The kit you listed is great and you can't go wrong with it.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I would be better off getting a turret press kit.

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I would be better off getting a turret press kit.

Yes Sir. As a beginner you do not need or want such a fancy press. Learn the basics of reloading first, then as your needs increase move up to the much more expensive progressive loader if you see fit.

The turret press will allow you to make at least 100 rounds per hour. I have been reloading for many years and still haven't found the need to get a better press. I'd rather put my money on the components to make the rounds than have a press that makes 500 rounds per hour and costs 3 times as much. Just my opinion.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lyman also has a great turret press kit. That is what I have.

Lyman and RCBS are my favorite reloading products.
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

I'm pretty happy with my Lee turret.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You know I tried some Lee dies and really liked them. I reload pistols 95% of the time. Had been an RCBS die user for the longest time. Maybe changing my brand.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.