JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Recreation (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/)
-   -   what else do I need for reloading ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/what-else-do-i-need-reloading-1524761/)

tjcj 05-17-2013 04:46 PM

what else do I need for reloading ?
 
I'm finally going to start reloading my own ammo but have questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a RCBS rock chucker supreme kit. Other than the kit, dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets what else MUST I buy in order to start making my own ammo. Thanks guys Allen.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

JBTJ 05-17-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcj (Post 15446900)
I'm finally going to start reloading my own ammo but have questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a RCBS rock chucker supreme kit. Other than the kit, dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets what else MUST I buy in order to start making my own ammo. Thanks guys Allen.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

If reloading for pistol, carbide dies are the best. Depending on what caliber, you may want an additional die to perform that process. That's a good kit and covers most things. But you will want a good set of calipers, to measure case length. Therefore a case trimmer will be needed. A case tumbler is also nice to keep everything nice and clean. Crushed walnut shells for cleaning and crushed corn cob for polishing, with your favorite liquid auto wax to give the brass that nice luster finish.

tjcj 05-17-2013 08:30 PM

Sorry forgot to mention I will be reloading rifle ammo. Thanks for the Info. I'm swimming I would also need flash hole cleaners , chamfer/ deburring tool, case lube kit, ect. How do you know which dies to get looking in a Midway catalog there's so many. Will mainly be reloading 7mm Rem mag, and .270 win. 22/250 and .223.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

bruteboy 05-17-2013 11:30 PM

I started with the rcbs press.I quickly upgraded to a multi stage press(dillon 550b)and digital scale.the single stage rcbs press is too slow as you need to reset your dies for each stage.if you have only one rifle per caliber,I would go with neck resizing dies.a case tumbler and media seperator will also save time.

Roobicon 05-17-2013 11:38 PM

Powder trickler, case trimmer, headspace/length gauge for each caliber

CoastieShep 05-18-2013 06:14 AM

As bruteboy said, if only one rifle per caliber (unless you want to keep them separate) just neck size. The brass will last much longer, but it will also be fire formed for that specific rifle, so it won't fit quite rite in a different rifle.
Also, don't forget a good manual, and one of these are also really nice for a quick check. http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832215-...e+length+gauge

JBTJ 05-18-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastieShep (Post 15448488)
As bruteboy said, if only one rifle per caliber (unless you want to keep them separate) just neck size. The brass will last much longer, but it will also be fire formed for that specific rifle, so it won't fit quite rite in a different rifle.
Also, don't forget a good manual, and one of these are also really nice for a quick check. http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832215-...e+length+gauge

True, but if his 223 is an auto loader then a full length small base sizer will be needed to function properly in the gun.

JBTJ 05-18-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcj (Post 15447723)
Sorry forgot to mention I will be reloading rifle ammo. Thanks for the Info. I'm swimming I would also need flash hole cleaners , chamfer/ deburring tool, case lube kit, ect. How do you know which dies to get looking in a Midway catalog there's so many. Will mainly be reloading 7mm Rem mag, and .270 win. 22/250 and .223.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

That kit comes with those items. :thumbsup:

tjcj 05-18-2013 09:01 AM

I will only be loading one rifle for each caliber. Anyone know what the difference is between the RCBS turret press and the progressive press, are they both a progressive press.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

JBTJ 05-18-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcj (Post 15448819)
I will only be loading one rifle for each caliber. Anyone know what the difference is between the RCBS turret press and the progressive press, are they both a progressive press.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

Turret press allows you to have multiple dies installed and the same time. Great for the beginner, and one who does not produce great quantities at one time. Although I have been using mine for over 30 years, and love it. I make about 500 rounds a week with it. Progressive presses are for producing large quantities of ammo in a short period of time. Basically after it is all set up each pull of the handle produces a finished round. This is for more experienced reloaders that shoot hundreds of rounds a month.

The kit you listed is great and you can't go wrong with it.

tjcj 05-18-2013 12:46 PM

So I would be better off getting a turret press kit.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

JBTJ 05-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcj (Post 15449411)
So I would be better off getting a turret press kit.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

Yes Sir. As a beginner you do not need or want such a fancy press. Learn the basics of reloading first, then as your needs increase move up to the much more expensive progressive loader if you see fit.

The turret press will allow you to make at least 100 rounds per hour. I have been reloading for many years and still haven't found the need to get a better press. I'd rather put my money on the components to make the rounds than have a press that makes 500 rounds per hour and costs 3 times as much. Just my opinion.

JBTJ 05-18-2013 12:57 PM

Lyman also has a great turret press kit. That is what I have. :thumbsup:

Lyman and RCBS are my favorite reloading products.

CoastieShep 05-18-2013 03:57 PM

I'm pretty happy with my Lee turret.

JBTJ 05-18-2013 05:04 PM

You know I tried some Lee dies and really liked them. I reload pistols 95% of the time. Had been an RCBS die user for the longest time. Maybe changing my brand. :D


The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.