Turkey Hunt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Turkey Hunt

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Turkey Hunt

Just got back from north central Kansas turkey hunting. The first evening of my hunt, this turkey was about 300 yards out and was acting like he wanted to come in but just wasn't going to. Every time he would look off and act like he was leaving, I would throw out some hard cuts and yelps. After a couple of minutes of this he started coming in. If he stopped I would yelp fairly lightly, just enough to keep his interest. The turkey finally came all the way in to my jake decoy at 20 yards where I shot him. He dropped where he stood. I mean he didn't take a step.
Two other birds were off to one side of him and slowly coming in also but were hanging up at about 150 yards. I finally got them to come in where one of them stayed at about 35 yards and the other came right over to my jake and the first bird I shot. I had two tags so I shot this one also. I hit this one maybe 2" higher than the first bird and I really expected him to go down also.
He started walking off into some taller milo stubble and I kept thinking he was going to drop but he kept going. By the time I realized he was not going to go down he was to far out in cover to shoot again. All this time I was lightly calling hoping to get him to stop. When he got out of sight in the creek bottom about 90 yards away I took off after him. I found his blood trail and trailed him about another 60 yards where I lost the trail right before some private land.
I searched for that bird for two hours until it got dark and never found him. I think he went onto the private ground but I really cant say for sure. I went back the next morning and still never found him. I hunted again that evening kind of half-heartedly. I felt like I had killed my second bird and was unable to retrieve him so I punched my second tag and called it a day.
I really hate to see an animal go to waste. I have been bow hunting pretty much exclusively now for 7 years and this is the first animal I haven't retrieved.

turkeyjpg.jpg

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

It happens every now and again; I do feel your pain. Good looking bird, congrats! I bow hunt only too, wish I had more time to be in the field.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
I felt like I had killed my second bird and was unable to retrieve him so I punched my second tag and called it a day.
I really hate to see an animal go to waste.
An ethical person, I like (respect) your style. Nice bird, too.
Unread 05-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ View Post
Thank you.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Panhandler80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ View Post
Good on OP. Don't hear / see that too often these days. I can understand a kid or new hunter not knowing what a good shot is, but there comes a point when a hunter knows how and where he poked / shot an animal and he knows in his gut if the critter is going to die even if he can't find it.
Panhandler80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.