Trailer / Rooftop tent vs. ground tent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Trailer / Rooftop tent vs. ground tent

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer / Rooftop tent vs. ground tent

Wandering through here ive seen a lot of these trailer top or roof top tents. Never really seen anything like it before, and im curious about them....mainly why?

Ive always camped on the ground, yea it can suck in the rain, but thats what a good tarp under the tent is for.

I get the being off the ground i guess...always a smooth surface for you cot/air mattress, but with air circulating around all 6 sides, i would think it would be a lot colder in the winter (same principle why trailer houses put metal around the bottom of the trailers when set up).

I guess what are the pro's & cons? I know the trailer & roof tents are a lot more expensive (unless theyre a DIY rig)

'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDinTX View Post
Wandering through here ive seen a lot of these trailer top or roof top tents. Never really seen anything like it before, and im curious about them....mainly why?
Rooftop tents were kind of born from expedition vehicles, where you may be in the outback or grasslands of Africa. Obviously you dont want to wake up in the mouth of a 16 foot crocodile or get dragged to your death by a lion. In the USA, it be wolves, bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, moose or flash floods.

Here are the realistic pros for me:
Most RTT include a mattress, no rocks in your back, no cot to drag along, no air mattress, no location grooming.
Generally most are 1-3 people tents, plus cargo. Roomy!
Can be folded down with bedding inside - less cargo in the jeep.
Keeps you off the damp cold ground where the bugs are.
If it rains heavy, your dry, water doesnt pool into the tent.
Since your up higher, you get a nice breeze.
Once the tent is open, it creates a sheltered area for shade or you can add mosquito netting or an annex (works awesome with a Zodi shower).
Most important for me - Provides more security ( I worry about meth heads slitting my throat ), you have the highground and extra seconds to grab your gun.
Where ever you can park your rig, is where camp is ie; Jagged rocks, water, mud, sand, sticks, parking lot, ect.
Sets up or comes down in 7 minutes - no guy lines or stakes
Cool factor Chicks dig it!

Cons:
Expensive - but they are more than just a nylon bag with some poles.
Heavy (100+ lbs), easily adds a 1ft of hight to your jeep = lots of wind drag.
Requires a trailer or roof rack.
With a roof rack - you have to take the tent with you everywhere, where as a trailer can be detached.
Eats up 80% of your roofrack cargo space.
Gotta pay attention to what your doing for 3am pee time otherwise its a 6ft fall in the dark.
If its super windy, the tent takes the brunt of it.
Might need a hoist + storage for the tent in the garage. Its big and takes up space.

Or.... heres another way to look at it:

Roof top tent

Tent on the ground
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

LOL pictures are worth a thousand words.

I'm planning on building/fabbing a used/buying a 4x6 utility trailer that ill use for more than just camping (parts runs, grocery runs, hardware store runs...you get the idea), so the idea of buying a tent that is made on the trailer is out of the question, rather maybe looking at one that would mount to a rack that attaches to the trailer?

The more i look at and think about these "top" mounted tents, the more I like them
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDinTX View Post

The more i look at and think about these "top" mounted tents, the more I like them
Try looking at expeditionportal.com, you will find tons of info on how to, different tent models and what not.
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

I had a cvt rtt and it was a pita to set up on my trailer because it has 35's on it as well. I sold mine and think a hard sides pop up rtt is what I'm going to go for. I want something very simple that sets up and breaks down very easy with 1 person. If there is more than two of us they can sleep in a hammock or regular tent.

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Roof top tent
That is an awesome setup!

I'm thinking about getting a RTT to mount on my Jeep's box trailer. I think being off the ground is just a big positive for plenty of reasons (dampness, rocks, cots, you name it). And quicker to setup as sometimes I just want to stay one night at one place (which is a pain with a traditional tent).

Now putting a RTT up high on a Jeep for that added security would be nice. Recently while camping in the Michigan U.P., someone walked right by my tent in the middle of the night. I hope it wasn't the meth head you speak of? I fortunately had motion detection lights setup that hopefully alerted the individual if they were there to do more then just pass through my camp site? It was creepy being that it was about 2 am.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Recently while camping in the Michigan U.P., someone walked right by my tent in the middle of the night. .
See thats the main reason I have a RTT. There are just way to many squirrly people out there for my liking. I for one dont want to be pre packaged and sealed in a nylon bag on the ground. I want to be 7 ft up, because if some nut wants me... they need to climb up to get me... by that time my gun will be greeting them.
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Well let me tell you that I sleep with my Glock it my finger tips. It's a tough world out there...

Oh, another positive I can see about a RTT is winter camping. I hate putting a tent down in snow, as well as packing it up later.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having camped for decades sleeping in tents on the ground, on sleeping mats and on camping cots, I bought a Tepui Kukenam RTT. If you are tailgate camping and weight and size are not an issue, a tent has the advantage of space. It's nice to have a vestibule to store gear, room to walk around and headspace to stand up.

That said, the most comfortable I have ever been sleeping while camping has been in my RTT. The 2" foam sleeping mat is like sleeping in a double bed with room to toss and turn. It's also nice to sleep with regular bedding (pillows, bottom sheet and blanket/comforter) and not be zipped up in a mummy bag. When I need walk-around space I bring a 12'x12' canopy.

I mounted my RTT on a CDN M101 trailer which gets it off the ground and provides some security but also makes it easily accessible.

Unread 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One word comes to mind,,,lightning.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
You wouldnt be safe in either. Statisticly its the last thing on my mind.
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE
"Was that lightning?"

"No, it was the flash from them taking pictures for google earth"

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobicon View Post
I mounted my RTT on a CDN M101 trailer which gets it off the ground and provides some security but also makes it easily accessible.
Jurrasic Park... Eddie, Ian and Kelly in the High Hide:

Eddie Carr: It keeps you out of harm's way, away from the animals.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Actually, it would put them at very convenient biting height.

A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobicon View Post

That's nice!

So is it bolted to the top of the trailer's lid, or do you have a rack under the tent that it's attached to?

I've got to see how well my trailer's lid does with 130 pounds on top of it; that is to be able to open the lid. It has fairly heavy duty hinges, but the lid is also heavy on it's own. I think you guys are selling me on the benefits of an RTT!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 10-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would go for a trailer or bigger tent on the ground. I like the room, I like to stand up when I get up and dressed. I camp allot with my family. We have regular trailer with tent pop outs (hybrid). That may not be something you are interested in but we like to come and go while camped. I would think roof top camping would really be a PIA unless you don’t want the use of your vehicle while camped.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.