Tent trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Tent trailer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
AZNighthiker

Tent trailer

We camp year round and I also backpack, mtn. bike camp here in Arizona. We have a military jeep trailer (M416A1) when we vehicle camp. Actually the wife is camping with her relatives near Payson Arizona while I am assigned pet sitting duties. We both grew up camping and our parents had a Coleman Colorado and Apache tent trailer. We have been looking at the Livinlite tent trailer (www.livinliterv.com) and now Fleetwood has a new model called the Neon. Anyone use a small basic tent trailer ?

AZNighthiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
tj4jay

Years ago my pop and I used one when we went hunting. Durring the summer it was great but in the winter it got pretty cold. You don't get much ground insulation in them since your sleeping quarters are hanging out. It gets pretty drafty too. It was an old style one so I'm sure there a bit better now. Good luck in your search. Jason
tj4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
blackZZR

I have a coleman colorado, it was the smallest tent trailer we could find. We are really just tent style campers, love the breeze and the openness of the tent but wanted to get something we could just pack all the camping stuff in and pull up to the mountains. We looked at a lot of new popups at 2 local trailer retailers and could not find anything that wasn't so huge. After all we like to tent camp. We also looked for used but most had ratty tents on them. So we stopped at a guys place that sould used trailers and it was there, with no tent on it. He had ordered the tent however, SO I know they are available, and we paid him for it pending a new tent, 1000 dollars. He also welded a fold down front tire so the tounge wasn't on the ground.
We have had it for 5 years now. Like it as much as tent camping. can store a ton of stuff in it, all sleeping bags, easy up pavillion. camp stove and all kitchen stuff, lanterns etc, We usually just have to hook it up, put duffle bag with clothes and books. and the icechest on the top rack. load up the 2 Boxers and off we go.
We are well satisfied with it's size, it pulls easy and stores in the corner of the yard.
infact it is so easy to set up we kinda joke with our freinds that have bigger tent trailers.
My next thing I want to do is a spring over conversion with shocks so I can pull it a bit further into the woods.
blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
eeman

We use an Aliner Scout, but Aliner also makes a ruggedized model with bigger wheels to get into rougher terrrain.
eeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
mountainborn
2008 JK Wrangler 

At 63 years, I notice that my old body shakes off the previous days rigors better if it sleeps on something besides the ground. I am addicted to those beautiful and difficult to get to places I have known during my more youthful years. My thinking is that a tent trailer with increased ground clearance, pulled behind the Jeep, might extend those years. When I look at most "OFF ROAD" tent trailers, it seems to me that they are over priced and usually ill equipped.
So, any body else have any ideas on resolving the "gotta' get in the rough" problem.
Has anybody increased ground clearance on a regular tent trailer ?
What brand names are you familiar with and their pro's and con's.
mountainborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
lardog

Well, this is what I use. 'Kicks-***' Not REAL cheap, but as usual 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' . . .

http://www.tentrax.com
lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
AZNighthiker

Looked at a Coleman Colorado earlier this year. It also had new canvas (sunbrella) and was in excellent shape. After I looked somebody else bought it within an hour. Looked at the Fleetwood ,Neon this week. To much at 5600. I think my brother in law is going to buy a Livinlight model. Wife is leaving next weekfor a trip with the inlaws and relatives. They are planning to camp in the Verde Valley area of Central Arizona.
AZNighthiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
question57
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog
Well, this is what I use. 'Kicks-***' Not REAL cheap, but as usual 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' . . .

I think I might just like those better than the teardrops... serve different purposes but could be more versatile, not as comfortable but...with a lift the cool factor is through the roof!

Now if you could lift a teardrop we got something LOL.

06 Unlimited Rubicon was BUILT but now SOLD :(

04 X, armored, SuperLined, 31" - SOLD
question57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
jsmestu

Tent Tralier

I just bought this one this summer:
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/Hor...nFeatures.html

I had the tires and wheels upgraded to Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 305s and Mickey Thompson Classic Locks to match my Rubicon, but the traler is EXTREMELY heavy duty and very well made. Not cheap, but will last a lifetime and can be towed ANYWHERE - it has 24" of ground clearance as well.

Here's my trailer hooked up to my Rubicon.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...u/IMG_0005.jpg

Check it out!
jsmestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #10
question57
2012 JK Wrangler 

that is one b!tchin setup. Thanks for the additional link/option.

06 Unlimited Rubicon was BUILT but now SOLD :(

04 X, armored, SuperLined, 31" - SOLD
question57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #11
jpjusty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

AZNighthiker, I was looking at those fleetwood trailers today. They are cool. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I buy one. If you guys like 4x4 Camping check out this site. www.sportsmobile.com. It's not a Jeep, but they will make it 4x4 if you want. jsmestu that is too cool. Thanks for the link. I have added it to my favorites.
Dual Top
jpjusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
RatMan

my folks bought a Jayco Jay flipper to tow behind the VW back in 1976.
The wife and our daughter used for camping about once a month until 2 years ago.
It was old but worth every cent plus some.
one thing I learned is getting one a year or so old it seems alot of the little stuff has already been broke and replaced.
my 2 cents
RatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #13
redtab78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog

i "built" one like i would want and it was like $10k ........EXPENSIVE!!!!!
[CENTER][COLOR=Black][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4]'05 BLACK JEEP CLUB #101[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Century Gothic]NAVY JEEP CLUB #25[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=Black]AFW Front Bumper | OR Fab Rear | COBRA dx-19 IV | 1" M.O.R.E. BL | 1" M.O.R.E. MML
SHROCKWORKS rock sliders | TOUGHSTUFF hood rack | High Lift | ARB SNORKEL | 33x12.5x15 Timberline MT's on 15x8 Pro Comp 1079's | REBB [/COLOR][/B]
[/CENTER]
redtab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had an interesting idea about small tent trailers the other day. I love those tentrax ones, but they are just outta my range. I think it would be easy to get a small trailer and lift it... most are spring under, so you could get a few inches just by flipping the axle. The problem was finding a good tent to mount on it. I've looked up some various models, but they are pretty pricey as well... up over a thousand in some cases. Anyway, I was looking through an atv mag last week and they had a new trailer coming out with a tent cot mounted on it. I've seen the double tent cots as well in the Cabela's catalog and thought one of those mounted on top of an old military trailer (or something similar) would make for a pretty decent setup. Anyway, just a though...
SlinkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
redtab78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
I had an interesting idea about small tent trailers the other day. I love those tentrax ones, but they are just outta my range. I think it would be easy to get a small trailer and lift it... most are spring under, so you could get a few inches just by flipping the axle. The problem was finding a good tent to mount on it. I've looked up some various models, but they are pretty pricey as well... up over a thousand in some cases. Anyway, I was looking through an atv mag last week and they had a new trailer coming out with a tent cot mounted on it. I've seen the double tent cots as well in the Cabela's catalog and thought one of those mounted on top of an old military trailer (or something similar) would make for a pretty decent setup. Anyway, just a though...

I love those tent trailors too, and have been racking my brain on a cheaper route... what about a smaller pick-up bed with some body work done on it and framed in with a false floor for storring gear and a tent set-up on that?
[CENTER][COLOR=Black][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4]'05 BLACK JEEP CLUB #101[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Century Gothic]NAVY JEEP CLUB #25[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=Black]AFW Front Bumper | OR Fab Rear | COBRA dx-19 IV | 1" M.O.R.E. BL | 1" M.O.R.E. MML
SHROCKWORKS rock sliders | TOUGHSTUFF hood rack | High Lift | ARB SNORKEL | 33x12.5x15 Timberline MT's on 15x8 Pro Comp 1079's | REBB [/COLOR][/B]
[/CENTER]
redtab78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.