Small Campers for Wranglers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Small Campers for Wranglers

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #76
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mike, how did the teardrop pull with a lifted TJ? Plus, I know their not heavy, but how is it without having trailer brakes? (I believe that they don't have brakes.)

Also, if you were to buy another one, would you step up to the next size, 5x8?

Thanks for your input. It's just a wife and I, so we still have the back of my TJ for packing stuff. I'm starting to dislike sleeping on the ground, plus the back my TJ is overly full for trips!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #77
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twichers View Post
HillDweller - you have the weight specs - empty and GVWR on that Conqueror Compact?

i couldnt find it on their website...

looks nice

thanks!
They claim a GVWR of around 1700 pounds --- the axle is rated at 5500. I really need to put it on a scale some day; I don't believe their weight claims at all. There's alot of steel back there... ...and you can tell the difference with the water tanks full.
You don't notice it on the trail at all; only time it makes itself annoying is on highway-speed uphill sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZkH1XBFBE

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #78
FourEyes45
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry but have not read all 6 pages of this----but we tow a R-Vision 21' trail lite camper with our 4d Rubi. The camper wt. is 2700lbs. We like it better that the truck slidin that we are trying to sale.
Have a great and safe week.
FourEyes45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #79
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The TENTRAX is very light duty and will go WHEREVER you can take that jeep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It weighs 900 lbs and you can DeHitch it and move it around, by yourself--IDEAL

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #80
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Mike, how did the teardrop pull with a lifted TJ? Plus, I know their not heavy, but how is it without having trailer brakes? (I believe that they don't have brakes.)

Also, if you were to buy another one, would you step up to the next size, 5x8?

Thanks for your input. It's just a wife and I, so we still have the back of my TJ for packing stuff. I'm starting to dislike sleeping on the ground, plus the back my TJ is overly full for trips!
The trailer pulled very nicely. The tongue was a little long (greater than 3' but don't recall exact measurement) which helped track the trailer behind the TJ. For its size and design, this was a very basic teardrop. There was really no galley like in the traditional design td. So I had to carry a kitchen box. The inside was a little tight with my son and I camping 1 time, but I guess kids will always 'roll' around. So yes, I would step up to a wider one for sure.
Biggest things I could complain about are the 'packing' for a wheeling weekend was inside and you had to unpack to use the inside. Second, it sat a little low when you wanted to enter it. 3rd, no location to place your boots, weather gear, etc. when you go to sleep.

I would suggest you pack what you would normally for a camping wheeling trip and place that on the garage floor looking to keep things as tight as possible. Put tape down on the floor around your packing for the walls. Setup a test camp and add to the tape area where needed.
The traditional td is a good thought, but layout and packing for enroute is not what I like best about it. I would build it also rather than buy something built. 5x10 would be better and I would enclose the tires into the wall. The bed floor would be raised to clear the wheelwells. You could have sliding drawers underneath the raised floor. With the frame a little taller, the wheelwells won't be so tall into the floor.
I'd also build it tall enough to be able to kneel in it to get dressed.
For braking, I have an disc'd 8.8 and never thought I had a problem braking.

Have you checked out the teardrop and tiny travel trailer forum? Lots of builders there. Was the td you looking at the one from Little Guy?

That was the plan I had also, but as plans go, things had changed. I do think the bigger you go, the better you will feel and be more comfortable. I really don't think you will need brakes, but for the cost of knowing and spreading it over couple years of ownership, it's not that costly. Also check aftermarket axles for swapping in rather than purchasing from the mfr. My Dexter axle I have under the trailer frame I put together has a parking brake as well as electric brakes and was made to my width. A parking brake would also help you keep the camper still in rough terrain. Then look at stabilizers at corners. This stabilizes the camper when you go in/out and shift weight.

Last spring I put together a trailer frame for an idea for a camper. I used a slide-in Quicksilver camper on the frame. It weighs 440#s. Its a very small box as well as camper. I wasn't satisfied in its use.
Now looking to adapt a base for the truck shell, add a couple slideouts that would hold a kitchen and extending bed outwards, mod an area within the door area for standing/getting dressed. I did get it really cheap at $90.

If this shell doesn't work out, I plan to build a Compact III.

Take care.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #81
outlawjosywales
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My teardrop

900 lbs. (dry). Been coast to coast,north to south. 15" LCD tv,cable tv ready (for RV parks). Shore power ready. Use a little Honda generator when "roughing it". 2 burner butane stove.

Unread 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #82
Reelm n Rubi
Fish fear me

2003 TJ Wrangler 

XBOX 360 in the camper!! Why didn't I think of that.Sweet. Here's mine. It pulls very well at 2800 lbs with trailer brakes.
trailer-tow-2.jpg  
Kieth Black forged 944 pistons
Comp Cams custom ground camshaft
505 Performance PCM
Split Second Engineering fuel/timing management
Tom Woods CV driveshaft
50 lb/hr Trick Flow injectors
4" Full Traction LA with Bilstein 7100's
JKS 1" MM,BL. TeraFlex engine and steering armor
4.88's w/ 35 " Toyo Open Country m/t's
Moser Chromoly axle shafts front, Superior D44 rear
Warn 9.5ti on a M.O.R.E hi clearance bumper
Reid racing knuckles, Warn premium hubs
PIAA 525's, and 510's

XBOX Gamertag- ISHAGDyurGURL

For SALE-- standard drop pitman arm redrilled with new 1 ton GM tye rod end (bottom mount). Perfect $30
Reelm n Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #83
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would not want to pull that in my tj with the 4.0. Since you have a supercharged stroker i bet you have no prob. Any plans on a stretch later down the road?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #84
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I would not want to pull that in my tj with the 4.0. Since you have a supercharged stroker i bet you have no prob. Any plans on a stretch later down the road?
the 4.0 can pull that easy. my LJ has a 3500# rating. 4.0L XJ's have 3500# also. the SWB of TJ's is was what lowers the rating to 2500#.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #85
Joker741

I would love to buy a T@B T16-1 U-Shaped, but there is no way I am paying what they want for one.

I really want a hard sided trailer and not a "tent" style. The weather is usually not the greatest while we are der hunting and last year was enough to start the hunt for a trailer. I had the tent under an EZ-UP, the wind was so strong it broke a tent pole and it was raining so hard that even under the EZ-UP it was wet in the tent. Wife said trailer or she is staying home this year.

Oregon State
School of Pharmacy

Sold my 97 TJ, was looking for a TJ Rubicon, but school put that on hold.
Joker741 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #86
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayougold View Post
900 lbs. (dry). Been coast to coast,north to south. 15" LCD tv,cable tv ready (for RV parks). Shore power ready. Use a little Honda generator when "roughing it". 2 burner butane stove.
Nice tear drop!

I'm thinking about one myself... one of these would be great, but a bit pricey. http://www.tinycamper.com/index.htm

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #87
Josey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
So do you have it? How is it? Mind letting us know what you paid? Thanks!
Yes I picked it up in the fall, just returned from a 22 day trip to Florida, Pulled the Little Guy more than 2400 miles. Went down the west coast came back by way of the East Coast, camped everywhere from wal-mart parking lots to horse fields & campgrounds. I traveled with my father and law who was in a 26ft fifth wheel. Every campground I was able to park on his lot, not once was it a problem.

The little camper its self pulled like a dream, some places when we where only staying one night, I didnt even unhook. My Jeep was the get around vehicle and it was just as easy to leave the thing back there as it was to unhook it.

The overall cost was a bit pricey, but if your'e like us without children you can afford to play more than most couples with children $9,500. The trailier held up well against all them miles including some off road time before the trip. I love the camper, but to be truthful I feel the camper should have been tagged by quaility control before leaving the plant. I had to glue the self back together & the Jackwheel which is welded to the frame released during my trip, something I need to fix by replacing it with a bolt on jackwheel. Also there was a question with the back hatch, the company sent me a repair kit free of charge, but as I stated all this should have been taken care of before leaving the plant.

Other than the few small details overall the camper is tough, and a lot of fun. I placed a microwave and 19 inch color Tv in the back hatch, its the hit of any campground people gather around the back like a bar. all thats missing is the bar stools.

Since buying my little camper, I look hard at others wondering if I made the right choice. I still feel I did, & am looking forward to many more trips. I wished I could post the picture of my rig, be awhile before I get 50 post on any board.

Anyway, thats my review of the Little Rough Rider, Nothing else like it on the market. If your'e looking for an off road camper, I don't think you'll find a better one, if you find one at all.

Last edited by Josey; 05-02-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Josey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #88
ccrane2299
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bought an Aliner. I have wanted one for several years and the opportunity came to get one so I did. It has a fridge, micro, water heater, a/c, cool fan in the roof, and an outside shower. It weighs 1400+ pounds and pulls great behind a TJ. I hunted out of it all winter and was always warm and comfy. It has a couch on one end that makes a bed...I just leave it as a bed all the time. If you don't mind the cost, you cant beat it. Here a pic in my driveway....red TJ has been replaced by a Blue LJ.

ccrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #89
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey View Post
Yes I picked it up in the fall, just returned from a 22 day trip to Florida, Pulled the Little Guy more than 2400 miles. Went down the west coast came back by way of the East Coast, camped everywhere from wal-mart parking lots to horse fields & campgrounds. I traveled with my father and law who was in a 26ft fifth wheel. Every campground I was able to park on his lot, not once was it a problem.

The little camper its self pulled like a dream, some places when we where only staying one night, I didnt even unhook. My Jeep was the get around vehicle and it was just as easy to leave the thing back there as it was to unhook it.

The overall cost was a bit pricey, but if your'e like us without children you can afford to play more than most couples with children $9,500. The trailier held up well against all them miles including some off road time before the trip. I love the camper, but to be truthful I feel the camper should have been tagged by quaility control before leaving the plant. I had to glue the self back together & the Jackwheel which is welded to the frame released during my trip, something I need to fix by replacing it with a bolt on jackwheel. Also there was a question with the back hatch, the company sent me a repair kit free of charge, but as I stated all this should have been taken care of before leaving the plant.

Other than the few small details overall the camper is tough, and a lot of fun. I placed a microwave and 19 inch color Tv in the back hatch, its the hit of any campground people gather around the back like a bar. all thats missing is the bar stools. The problem about this little guy is the people wanting to talk to you about it, never ending. Now this isn't really a big problem, but Ima a big 420 kinda guy. And strangers pressing their nose up to the windows find themselves offended, for this I apologize.

Since buying my little camper, I look hard at others wondering if I made the right choice. I still feel I did, & am looking forward to many more trips. I wished I could post the picture of my rig, be awhile before I get 50 post on any board.

Anyway, thats my review of the Little Rough Rider, Nothing else like it on the market. If your'e looking for an off road camper, I don't think you'll find a better one, if you find one at all.
Thanks for the review! If you can link to photos, we can post them. I can imagine you get a lot of questions. Now does your Little Rough Rider have brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrane2299 View Post
I bought an Aliner. I have wanted one for several years and the opportunity came to get one so I did. It has a fridge, micro, water heater, a/c, cool fan in the roof, and an outside shower. It weighs 1400+ pounds and pulls great behind a TJ. I hunted out of it all winter and was always warm and comfy. It has a couch on one end that makes a bed...I just leave it as a bed all the time. If you don't mind the cost, you cant beat it. Here a pic in my driveway....red TJ has been replaced by a Blue LJ.

I've also looked at the Aliner. Did you get their "off-road" package that includes brakes? I also see that you bought the Classic. Would you have been as happy with the slightly shorter Sport? But I can see your point about having the back as a bed that you just leave it as with the Classic. Thanks as well for the post.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #90
Josey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It does have power brakes, at only 980 pounds. I slammed my brake on hard a few times going though Atlanta and the whole rig stopped on a dime.

The only reason I didn't decide on a pop up was because of the canvas sides and set up time. seems this little Aliner has taken care of atleast half that problem, may come down to a matter of price.
Josey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.