Small Campers for Wranglers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Small Campers for Wranglers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #31
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree. I priced out one of those and it came out to $10,000 or something. That's just crazy!

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #32
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular7 View Post
I was looking for a small camper that was light weight, sleep 3 easy/4 cramped, and was less than 66" wide to pull behind my 4cyl/auto TJ. I needed the small width to get it threw my gate for storage. The gate is 78". I'd like it light so I could use my hands to manuever it into the storage location. So I have 9" on both sides to push it in. I only camp when I'm wheeling for the weekend. So packing is minimal. Many don't consider the 'carry-ons' when picking out a tent, but you throw everything inside with you. Same for the camper.

About the only 2 campers that I know of are the Fleetwood Neon and the truck version of the Quicksilver. Neon has its own frame. Fleetwood no longer makes the Neon.

So I fab a trailer from a military M101 I had and a front portion (tongue) from a boat trailer using a Dexter axle. I purchase the Quicksilver truck camper and place it on the trailer. The camper is 440#s and very basic. I plan to add a rear aluminum box as a kitchen and make it swing away. About the only thing I don't like about the camper are the buttons. The protective cover is buttons as well a the canvas around the beds. I'm looking to change that.

This is the left-over from the boat trailer. I converted to 5on4.5 hubs and added 13" wheels/tires along with some other frame work. I'm weighing on placing a commercial topper shell on it for those single wheeling runs.

Where did you get that and how much... Looks cool. I have an idea for that.

Ok never mind google is my friend today
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well no DLR in FL and the 800 number is no longer in service. id still be curious how much that cost.
Unread 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #34
dutch8006

2014 JK Wrangler 

We have a 1995 Coleman Fleetwood Cedar model that pulls just fine. Sleeps 6 and weighs 850 lbs
dutch8006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #35
TJCeeJay
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulmedic View Post
I too am in the market for a travel trailer for my '04 LJ. In reguards to the Scamp and the Casita or even that super cool orbit up there, Are you conserned that the owners manual says that trailer types other than "Fold Down and Low Profile" are "NOT RECOMMENDED".

Nahhh. That's only for people who like to drive a little quicker than recommended. The trailer is a little tall, but even in strong croosswinds (driving at 90 kmh ~55mph) the sway caused by the trailer is completely unnoticable. The only "difficult" part about driving a TJ and towing a 13' Casita or 13' Scamp, or something even shorter, is that the trailer reacts VERY quickly to steering input when backing up. VERY
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #36
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
Well no DLR in FL and the 800 number is no longer in service. id still be curious how much that cost.
You referring to the Quicksilver slide in on the trailer frame? The Quicksilver weighs less than 450#s so it can be shipped freight on a crate. There is a dealer in SC that may be in the same freight area so shipping across the freight areas will be minimal. Cost varies from who is selling, but I've seen them sell on Ebay (MI) for $2700 and $2100. I've seen them listed locally for $2900.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested

Last edited by jagular7; 07-29-2008 at 10:33 PM..
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #37
etphoto
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got to use my Tentrax. Just got back today. I went to visit the Bengals training camp and found a nearby campground. Not the wilderness I wanted but it was camping.

ET
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #38
xxxflhrci

Ain't nothing wrong with a campground. This was my trip last weekend. I don't have to stay in them, though. She's fully self-contained....3-way fridge, 3 burner stove, and sink with a fresh water tank, a dinette, couch and table, plus enough beds for 8 and still light enough to be pulled by a Jeep.

xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #39
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

The Sylvansport is about the slickest creation I've seen so far. Not as rugged as a Sherpa, but quite versatile.
Like a Swiss Army knife...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #40
4x4junkie
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler Camper

I would agree that the Fleetwood Neon is a good choice for towing behind a Wrangler. It really depends on how you plan to use it. I modified a 2007 Fleetwood Coblat that I tow with an 06 Rubi Unlimited TJ thru many extreme trails in Colorado and Moab, UT(see pics below). The camper box may look wide at 6’2 x 8’ but I have taken this thing thru the toughest switchbacks and tightest trees you can imagine. We are in the process of modifying a Fleetwood Neon for a Jeep buddy to make it an extreme trail trailer as well but it has considerably less room and storage than the Cobalt. Adventure Trailers make great extreme trailers, but like some others, they are just a trailer with a tent on top. I prefer the pop-ups myself for a little more luxury! Even a basic Fleetwood Cobalt would be good for "campground" camping, but you may not be looking for a popup. Good luck.

Here are some more pics on another blog:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ht=neon+cobalt

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 08-16-2008 at 07:22 PM..
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
ranmannm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

4x4junkie that is a great setup. I've been looking for a pop up I can modify for better trail use. I really like the MTB rack as that is what I usually am headed out to do.
ranmannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #42
cmorganf64
1999 WJ 

I bought a fleetwood rio. weighs about 1500 lbs with the AC (we dont carry much stuff with us). pulls great, and stops great with the electric brakes.

its a 10 foot box...and is wide compared to the TJ, and that was hard to get use to seeing.

chris

building a WJ....slowly...
cmorganf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #43
COBRA5LADDICT

i just picked up a coleman colorado sport.

i tow it with my cj5.

just a tent on wheels..

sleeps 2 adults, and 1 adult or 2 kids on the dinette.. you coul ddo 2 adults there too in a pinch.

weighs 600 lbs empty, has a max load of 1300 lbs.
COBRA5LADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #44
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA5LADDICT View Post
i just picked up a coleman colorado sport.
just a tent on wheels..

sleeps 2 adults, and 1 adult or 2 kids on the dinette.. you coul ddo 2 adults there too in a pinch.

weighs 600 lbs empty, has a max load of 1300 lbs.
Neat.
Uh, how much? And how big is the cargo capacity?

My wife talked me into buying a 17 cf hitch box on a telescoping mount (for now). She wanted me to pace myself and shop for the trailer longer....
Still stuck in my tent on the ground. At least I'm in the woods though.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #45
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Tucson. (It's a Cobalt in different trim).

http://web.mac.com/dudleyclint/The_D..._Photos.html#1

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.