Small Campers for Wranglers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Small Campers for Wranglers

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 04-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
FordPrefect
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
I looked for a camper for over a year. I finally found one that was light enought for me to tow with my LJ. It weighs 2700lbs empty, 3000 with options.

You know, AEROLIGHT makes a really nice one like this.

it is a 16 footer, and has a fold out king bed in the front and a queen bed in the rear. The beds fold out like a tent camper, but it has everything else like a normal camper. They are lighter than your tear drops you mentioned. Easy to pull I understand as well, that is what I am looking for to put behind my small WJ

FordPrefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm considering a trailer too, but I'm strongly in favor of hard sided (Scamp, teardrop). Besides being more weathertight, a hard sided trailer can outlast several cars. Canvas deteriorates, shrinks, causes problems if put away wet, and replacement availability is always iffy some years down the road. There are loads of popups rendered unusable by bad canvas around, but many hard sided trailers are still in use after 40 years.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #18
TJCeeJay
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling a 13 foot, 1972 Boler with my TJ. Solid fiberglass, sleeps 4 comfortably, two on the twin bed, two on the bunks. Weighs less than 1000 pounds empty, 1200-1300 pounds loaded. It does very well off road and the Jeep doesn't even know it's there. So I can definately reccomend an old Boler, or Casita, or Scamp. Usually about $3000.00 unrenovated.
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #19
OrangeSands
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have my eye on one of these, with the tent option looks to be a great addition to heading bush. Quite a bit cheaper than the other off road trailers I've seen and make close to home.

http://www.outlandertrailers.com/Sherpa.html

Cheers,
Shane

www.MyFamilyJeep.com

Red Jeep Club #467
OrangeSands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
etphoto
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSands View Post
I have my eye on one of these, with the tent option looks to be a great addition to heading bush. Quite a bit cheaper than the other off road trailers I've seen and make close to home.

http://www.outlandertrailers.com/Sherpa.html

I wish I knew about these before I bought my tentrax.

ET
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #21
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I pull this with mine no problem. like 1300lb unloaded. I am selling it if interested

Unread 05-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
TAS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Having four in your crew, I'd go w/ a good used pop up. I just sold my 84 Jayco for $700. It had a 10' box and slept all five up w/ no prob.

Tow rig - 12 F-350 4x4
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
StickShift

Get a used pop up. Alot of room that can be put down to a small size. My moms friend, and my friends mom used to have a pop up trailor. Had a shower and enough room to sleep 2 adults and 4-5 kids [14 and under]. So any pop up would be plenty just for you. Especially since you have your wife then 2 small children. Whatever you can afford would be good for the 4 of you.
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

www.tentrax.com

Unread 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #25
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking for a small camper that was light weight, sleep 3 easy/4 cramped, and was less than 66" wide to pull behind my 4cyl/auto TJ. I needed the small width to get it threw my gate for storage. The gate is 78". I'd like it light so I could use my hands to manuever it into the storage location. So I have 9" on both sides to push it in. I only camp when I'm wheeling for the weekend. So packing is minimal. Many don't consider the 'carry-ons' when picking out a tent, but you throw everything inside with you. Same for the camper.

About the only 2 campers that I know of are the Fleetwood Neon and the truck version of the Quicksilver. Neon has its own frame. Fleetwood no longer makes the Neon.

So I fab a trailer from a military M101 I had and a front portion (tongue) from a boat trailer using a Dexter axle. I purchase the Quicksilver truck camper and place it on the trailer. The camper is 440#s and very basic. I plan to add a rear aluminum box as a kitchen and make it swing away. About the only thing I don't like about the camper are the buttons. The protective cover is buttons as well a the canvas around the beds. I'm looking to change that.

This is the left-over from the boat trailer. I converted to 5on4.5 hubs and added 13" wheels/tires along with some other frame work. I'm weighing on placing a commercial topper shell on it for those single wheeling runs.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested

Last edited by jagular7; 07-05-2008 at 03:50 PM..
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #26
gratefulmedic
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I too am in the market for a travel trailer for my '04 LJ. In reguards to the Scamp and the Casita or even that super cool orbit up there, Are you conserned that the owners manual says that trailer types other than "Fold Down and Low Profile" are "NOT RECOMMENDED".
gratefulmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
reeltrout
2007 JK Wrangler 

A little camper

I am running a T@B camper. It has a weight of 1600 lbs and the JK has no problem at all. The length is 16 feet and it tracks right behind the jeep beautifully.

You can see them at www.tab-rv.com
reeltrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
Mudfroglet

I have an '06 TJ, just bought a 13' Dalton (shaped a bit like a Boler), a bit concerned about the height...I wasn't until I started reading warnings about it. Any comments on that?
Mudfroglet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltrout View Post
I am running a T@B camper. It has a weight of 1600 lbs and the JK has no problem at all. The length is 16 feet and it tracks right behind the jeep beautifully.
Those T@B trailers are outrageously expensive. I had expected they would be much lighter weight than 1600 pounds. Jezz. OK, Well, good to know. I'm feeling better about the weight I am estimating for the trailer I am building (about 1600 pounds). About 1/3rd the cost of a T@B too. Now I just need to get it finished (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #30
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGerbil View Post
www.overpricedforwhatyouget.com
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.