Revolvers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Revolvers

ORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORSFree shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpers

Unread 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Revolvers

I'm looking at a "full size" .357 Magnum revolver.

What are a couple good options that are considered good or top of the line or well made?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that general law enforcement/military in America used to carry .38 Specials, then switched to .357's. Anyone know what kind they carried?

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are all old "western style" revolvers single action?

I haven't ever seen a double action one.

Is that just the nature of the design?

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
Unread 02-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
Indy

Its the nature of the time. There were very few jet engines back then also.

Get a ruger. Super blackhawk for single action super redhawk for double. Or the gp100. Any will outlive your great grandkids.
you can run 38s through a 357,but not the other way around.
Unread 02-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Smith and wesson model 19. You'll love it with a set of hogue grips.
Unread 02-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
1911fish
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cant go wrong with any Smith and Wesson but for a first revolver a 686+ or a Model 19. I started my revolver addiction with a 19-2
1911fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone!

I think I've found a couple candidates from Taurus and Ruger.

What is your opinion on those two companies?

Quote:
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

You dont want my opinion...not really...because...I dont like to skimp on firearms, especially those which could save your life one day.
Therefore, on a wheel gun, I'd have to go with the Smith. Tried, true and tested.

With a semi auto, I like Sig or H&k....in that order.
There are lots of good firearms out there. However, I dont want them. I dont want to be standing in a parking lot with a weapon which has malfunctioned due to cheap or shoddy construction.......while facing 3 armed attackers....late at night. I want the best odds available. Money doesnt come into play when you're in that situation. That $200 someone might have saved by NOT buying a higher end weapon isnt going to mean squat at that time, and I'd bet anyone would pay an extra $1000 on the spot, to get that weapon to fire. I shot a snake with a Judge one day while at my friend's lake house. Went for a security round ( second shot) and the cylinder wouldnt rotate. It was my friend's weapon.

I tossed it in the lake and told him he was an idiot for buying that POS....when he was worth 3 mil bucks. He just laughed and said he'd have tossed it too. That's what I think of Taurus.

On my seventh PCM. Might have finally gotten a good one this time. Crossing my fingers.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a S&W Mod 19, but,,,,,,,,I would recommend the S&W 686. Its built on a larger frame than the 19. Ruger is a good pistol too, but I think the S&W is smoother.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
Thank you everyone!

Taurus is a lessor expensive gun and won't have the reputation Ruger has. There is a difference shooting a good gun versus a lessor quality one. That may or may not be an issue.

I know many who have Taurus semi autos and all shoot fine, I have fired a few. They were semi autos. None shoot nearly as nice as my Series 70 1911 Colt but none have the price tag. All shoot better than my Walther P22.

I have an old S&W revolver that looks great, fires great and is a great shooting gun. From my research it appears it was built in 1916 0r 1917. I don't think you can beat Smith and Wesson when it comes to revolvers.

Allot depends on what you will do with it. If it is going to be left in the car, or subjected to abuse go for Taurus. In the summer I spend time in and around the river. I won't take my Colt on the water and I won't leave it behind in the Jeep even though I have a box to lock it in, but I will take the little Walther with me, because it is an inexpensive easily replaceable gun. I have also considered the little Taurus .357 (model 605 I think) for my “beater” gun.
Unread 02-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm looking at a "full size" .357 Magnum revolver.

What are a couple good options that are considered good or top of the line or well made?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that general law enforcement/military in America used to carry .38 Specials, then switched to .357's. Anyone know what kind they carried?
Full size is my Colt Python. 357mag/38. They switched to .357 because it had more stopping power than the .38 special.

Or, if you want a single action. Here is my Ruger Vaquero.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Full size is my Colt Python. 357mag/38. They switched to .357 because it had more stopping power than the .38 special.

Or, if you want a single action. Here is my Ruger Vaquero.

I have a buddy that has a Colt Python and as wonderful as that gun is I would not recommend it to anybody other than a collector. It shoots great performs great but if you need parts things may get tricky. They are valuable and sought after more a s a collectable than a shooter. Parts for them are not readily available. They are a special gun and I would love to own, I would shoot it a couple times, clean it, keep it oiled and lock it up and advertise it to the highest bidder (unless it was a family gun).
Unread 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I have a buddy that has a Colt Python and as wonderful as that gun is I would not recommend it to anybody other than a collector. It shoots great performs great but if you need parts things may get tricky. They are valuable and sought after more a s a collectable than a shooter. Parts for them are not readily available. They are a special gun and I would love to own, I would shoot it a couple times, clean it, keep it oiled and lock it up and advertise it to the highest bidder (unless it was a family gun).
Out all the guns I have, the python has held up the best. Bought it in 89 and has about 5k of lead down it. Still in great shape and a great shooter.
Unread 02-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Out all the guns I have, the python has held up the best. Bought it in 89 and has about 5k of lead down it. Still in great shape and a great shooter.
No doubt an incredible firearm. There has even been claims saying it is the best. It was made to be the best revolvers and it might be. Parts are specially sized for them and not easily replaceable.
Unread 02-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
No doubt an incredible firearm. There has even been claims saying it is the best. It was made to be the best revolvers and it might be. Parts are specially sized for them and not easily replaceable.
Lets hope I won't need any then. On a good note, I guess, I don't shoot it much anymore.
Unread 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Indy

O
Quote:
Thank you everyone!

Taurus and ruger, Not exactly apples to apples. If they were football teams ruger would be the Patriots and taurus would be a Ford pinto.

Because im making up the analogy, thats why

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.