Replacing my utility/survival blade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Replacing my utility/survival blade

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had carried an Ontario Air Force survival knife inherited from my grandfather for about 10 years, but sadly lost it when an overturning canoe sent it to the bottom of the chatahoochie. (The sheath got caught on the edge as we flipped in a torrent caused by a pop up thunderstorm and tore it off my belt).

I'm considering the kabar bk2. Any thoughts in that? Experience with it?

Sent from my TJ

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know anything about that particular Kabar, but I have a couple of the other Kabars. Hard to believe you could go wrong with the one you mention.

Just to throw out another option, you might take a look at the Schrade SCHF9. It has been getting really good reviews. There's a guy on youtube who gives a thorough discussion about it in comparison to the Bear Gryls knives. Can't recall his name. Anyway, $40 on amazon.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooCreek
Don't know anything about that particular Kabar, but I have a couple of the other Kabars. Hard to believe you could go wrong with the one you mention.

Just to throw out another option, you might take a look at the Schrade SCHF9. It has been getting really good reviews. There's a guy on youtube who gives a thorough discussion about it in comparison to the Bear Gryls knives. Can't recall his name. Anyway, $40 on amazon.
Shrades are Asian made now... I like to keep it American when I can. And there are certainly plenty of American blade makes these days.

As for Gryls, I'll contact him when I need a great piss tea recipe!

Thanks for the comment though. I'm really bummed about losing that Ontario, I thought about buying a direct replacement since they're still made identical to the one I lost, but as long as I'm replacing it anyways, I figured I'd upgrade to a full tang model.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been pretty happy with my Gerber LMF2, made in USA, Portland, OR to be exact. Its a bit on the heavy side, the blade is almost a 1/4in thick and close to 2in wide, finished in black oxide, Gerber doesnt say what its made out of though. it has holes for lashing to a stick as a spear. grip is a somewhat soft rubber with a hard plastic underneath (visible only at the top of the handle), it feels a bit thin though, wraping in paracord made it fit my hands a bit better.

Gerber also claims the blade is electrically insulated from the handle, they however don't list a max voltage rating. I haven't tested this, but if for what ever reason im out in the woods and need to cut into live electrical equipment then i should be good to go.

IIRC the LMF2 was Gerbers submission for the army's ASEK (aircrew survival egress knife) program, the same program that spawned your original Ontario knife.

The sheath it comes with is nice too, its not kydex like some like but some other plastic with a thin rubber overmold. My sheath has left rub marks on the black blade finish, its not a big deal to me, i use my knives so its bound to happen somehow. It also has a built in sharpening tool, its not the greatest but it fine for field use. it comes with two leg straps if strapping large knifes to your leg is your thing, and has molle attachments if thats your thing too, as well as the normal belt attachment point.

The BK2 was my second choice.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say the Gerber LMF-2 and the Cold Steel SRK are my top two. I was skeptical about buying a knife from Lynn, (Lynn Thompson) for those who don't know, but I have been nothing but pleased with their product and customer service. Their tomahawks and throwing knives are by far my favorite.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan
Ive been pretty happy with my Gerber LMF2, made in USA, Portland, OR to be exact. Its a bit on the heavy side, the blade is almost a 1/4in thick and close to 2in wide, finished in black oxide, Gerber doesnt say what its made out of though. it has holes for lashing to a stick as a spear. grip is a somewhat soft rubber with a hard plastic underneath (visible only at the top of the handle), it feels a bit thin though, wraping in paracord made it fit my hands a bit better.

Gerber also claims the blade is electrically insulated from the handle, they however don't list a max voltage rating. I haven't tested this, but if for what ever reason im out in the woods and need to cut into live electrical equipment then i should be good to go.

IIRC the LMF2 was Gerbers submission for the army's ASEK (aircrew survival egress knife) program, the same program that spawned your original Ontario knife.

The sheath it comes with is nice too, its not kydex like some like but some other plastic with a thin rubber overmold. My sheath has left rub marks on the black blade finish, its not a big deal to me, i use my knives so its bound to happen somehow. It also has a built in sharpening tool, its not the greatest but it fine for field use. it comes with two leg straps if strapping large knifes to your leg is your thing, and has molle attachments if thats your thing too, as well as the normal belt attachment point.

The BK2 was my second choice.
The LMF isn't bad, and I have several Gerber knives and love them.

I do not care for serration though. In my experience, it shreds more than cuts. I am curious about the integrated sharpener in the sheath, interesting idea, I just wonder dhow it works. I also would like to be able to remove the scales as well. My biggest gripe with the Ontario was the stacked leather handle made it hard to invert to spear use (useful in snake country).

I'll keep that one in mind.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
The LMF isn't bad, and I have several Gerber knives and love them.

I do not care for serration though. In my experience, it shreds more than cuts. I am curious about the integrated sharpener in the sheath, interesting idea, I just wonder dhow it works. I also would like to be able to remove the scales as well. My biggest gripe with the Ontario was the stacked leather handle made it hard to invert to spear use (useful in snake country).

I'll keep that one in mind.
The sharpener isn't much to talk about, it is two pieces of replaceable carbide in a small slot on the sheath, its not going to give you an edge you can shave with or fillet fish but for most tasks you would use a big knife for its fine. after heavy tasks like batoning wood i'll usually run mine through the sharpener a few times.

The scales are not removable, not without cutting them off anyways, also the retention mechanism on the sheath grips the top parts of the scales, so if you were to replace them you'd also be looking at a custom sheath or mimicking the top of the stock scales.

The handle on the LMF2 is pretty flat, so it'd work well as a spear, but it also makes it somewhat uncomfortable to use normally. my solution was wrapping it in 550 cord, makes the grip wider and if needed as a spear, unwrap it and you've got cord to lash it with too.

chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan

The sharpener isn't much to talk about, it is two pieces of replaceable carbide in a small slot on the sheath, its not going to give you an edge you can shave with or fillet fish but for most tasks you would use a big knife for its fine. after heavy tasks like batoning wood i'll usually run mine through the sharpener a few times.

The scales are not removable, not without cutting them off anyways, also the retention mechanism on the sheath grips the top parts of the scales, so if you were to replace them you'd also be looking at a custom sheath or mimicking the top of the stock scales.

The handle on the LMF2 is pretty flat, so it'd work well as a spear, but it also makes it somewhat uncomfortable to use normally. my solution was wrapping it in 550 cord, makes the grip wider and if needed as a spear, unwrap it and you've got cord to lash it with too.
If the grip is made from the same material as the gerber guardian backup, I do like how "grippy" it is. My dog chewed that one off though lol, replaced with hockey tape.

Right now the serrations are the deal breaker on that one. I just hate the way serrated blades rip stuff up.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ooh, just looked at the LMF 2 and noticed that the holes for the lash points are awful close to the edges of the blade... That looks like it'd create a weak point for chopping/batonning.

"The construction is not full tang but push tang" I think that's a deal breaker for me.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Benchmade knives are really nice if you have the coinage. My cousin was in AFG and his 2 brothers, my brothers and I all chipped in and bought him one of these...
http://www.benchmade.com/products/150

I own a Buck fixed blade that I've had for almost 12 years. Great knife and holds it's edge well. I carry a Cutco Fisherman filet knife when fishing. My Leatherman Wave multitool has been around almost as long as the Buck knife. I bought a Kabar for my buddy on his b-day last year (he was in the Marines. It's an AWESOME blade!! It will be my next purchase along with a Woodsman Pal to add to my hunting/hiking gear.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816
Benchmade knives are really nice if you have the coinage. My cousin was in AFG and his 2 brothers, my brothers and I all chipped in and bought him one of these...
http://www.benchmade.com/products/150

I own a Buck fixed blade that I've had for almost 12 years. Great knife and holds it's edge well. I carry a Cutco Fisherman filet knife when fishing. My Leatherman Wave multitool has been around almost as long as the Buck knife. I bought a Kabar for my buddy on his b-day last year (he was in the Marines. It's an AWESOME blade!! It will be my next purchase along with a Woodsman Pal to add to my hunting/hiking gear.
Those are pretty.

In that dollar price range, I also looked at the Esee blades too. I'd like to stay under 100.

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
jeepsterdan83
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with an Esee; totally worth the money. Awesome warranty, feel and performance.
jeepsterdan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterdan83
Can't go wrong with an Esee; totally worth the money. Awesome warranty, feel and performance.
The esee 5 is on my list too. Just don't see much difference between a $60 kabar and the ~150 esee. Other than mikarta scales.

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
DirtyHooligan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Benchmade Bushcrafter. I love this knife. Very durable, holds a sharp edge and actually feels great in the hand. To me the only drawback is the leather sheath. I would much prefer kydex.
DirtyHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHooligan
I have the Benchmade Bushcrafter. I love this knife. Very durable, holds a sharp edge and actually feels great in the hand. To me the only drawback is the leather sheath. I would much prefer kydex.
That's a nice one... I'll add that to the potentials list

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.