Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD build

First a little background. I bought my first rifle back in the early 90s shortly after moving to Vegas when I ETSd from the Army. I got a mint condition used Springfield Armory M1A with NM sights and a little trigger work done on it. It was and continues to be one of my favorite weapons. Shortly after getting the rifle I bought a SA 4-16x scope and a Gen 3 mount in hopes of doing some precision shooting. Due to the numerous shortcomings of both the scope and mount this became an increasingly frustrating endeavor resulting and both sitting in a gun cabinet for years until "donated" to a friend.

Since then I have enjoyed hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds through the M1A at 100, 200 and 300 yards with the iron sights and it's accuracy always pleases me. As I have seen my country change in ways I never thought possible, I decided it was time for something a little more compatible with CQB. In October 2008, I bought 2 Stag 2TLs (being left handed and all) and put and EoTech on one and an Aimpoint on the other. Again, I was very pleased with my purchase, but always felt that "reach out and touch someone" component was still missing.

And that bring me to where I am today. Not wanting to spend thousands on a long range platform, I settled on the Remington 700 and the SPS Tactical seemed to be just the ticket. As I began looking around town, I realized it may be harder than I thought since they seemed to leave the shelves of the gun stores pretty quickly. On Thursday of this week I decided to take my lunch and head over to Lock n Load. As I walked down the counter i saw what I was looking for near the back of the store. I asked the salesperson (who did a great job, but I can't remember his name) if that was the only SPS Tactical in stock and he said it was. My next words were, "I'll take it."

Since I was at lunch for work, I paid for the rifle and then went back to work with it on "layaway". I returned at 500p, completed the background and brought this home...

Then began the search for a scope. Again, being on a budget, some of the more exotic scopes were out of the question. After doing some research and taking the advice of a friend, I settled on the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA. Today I placed my order with Optics Planet who had it on sale plus an additional 10% off since they are celebrating 12 years in service. Now, there is good news and there is bad news. The bad news...it was shortly after I placed that order that I saw these very popular scopes are on backorder and it could be months before they ship. The good news...estimated shipping for mine is only 10-20 days (fingers crossed). That gives me time to shop for a scope mount and rings.

Unread 10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nightforce 20 MOA scope mount installed

Unread 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I assume being that you want to reach out and touch this is chambered in .308? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it run you?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
I assume being that you want to reach out and touch this is chambered in .308? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it run you?
It is chambered in .308 and I paid $779.00. Considering the availability around here it was a very fair price.

Harris Bipod added...

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a weatherby Vanguard in .300 Win... I love that gun... And reaching out and touching something... I've yet to shoot anything other than a .50 or a .338 Lapua that can compete
samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samseifert View Post
I picked up a weatherby Vanguard in .300 Win... I love that gun... And reaching out and touching something... I've yet to shoot anything other than a .50 or a .338 Lapua that can compete
Agreed, but from a tactical standpoint I am sticking with the big four calibers...9mm, .45, 5.56 and 7.62x51/.308 for my firearms.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Glockgirl26
2013 JK Wrangler 

20" barrell threaded already?

I have one similar, model 5R. I'd LOVE to have a suppressor for it.
Glockgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you on the ammo... mine is way too expensive. :-(
samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice rifle. Your going to love the vortex scope. I've got one on my AR. They have a great warrenty
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am SO jealous. I've been wanting one for a long time. I settled on a Savage 116 in .270 because I got a deal I could not refuse on it. I will still get a Rem 700 tactical eventually!!!
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update...

After watching my back order Vortex Viper scope go from a 5 day to a 25 to a 5 and then to a 5 week status on Optics Planet, I decided to cut bait and order the Viper 4-16x FFP that was in stock at Cabela's with an estimated ship delivery date of November 8...which happens to be my birthday.
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samseifert View Post
With the right rifle, .308 will work fine at 1400 yards.

With this rifle, .308 will work fine at 1000 yards.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^ what he said.

Also:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...87&nt=2&page=1
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
With the right rifle, .308 will work fine at 1400 yards.

With this rifle, .308 will work fine at 1000 yards.
At 1000 yards it's more about the shooter than it is the rifle.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
At 1000 yards it's more about the shooter than it is the rifle.
sure, but with only a 20", he'll be at a disadvantage as far as velocity is concerned. There's not a whole lot of gain in the accuracy department with .308 going to a much longer barrel, but it needs the extra push behind it.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.