quick and easy campfire meal ideas - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > quick and easy campfire meal ideas

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

MRE's!!!!!!

uughhh dont do it! You wont poop for days....

the hobo burgers with the veggies and meat in the foil are sweet! Add some saucey stuff and cheeeese...tis a tastey meal!

'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
MRE's!!!!!!

uughhh dont do it! You wont poop for days....
that's what the gum is for, has a mild laxative in it!
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
dsh07
2003 TJ Wrangler 

kielbasa was always a favorite in my troop..

and an easy dessert...slice a banana down the center, insert hershy's chocolate, throw it in the coals..the peel contains the chocolate as it melts.
dsh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
theskier74
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

Do a search for "hobo pack" recipes (like YJteen mentioned above). Easy to make, easy to cook, and easy to clean up. Gives the boys a chance to prep, cook, and clean up their own meal.

We pick up a pack of preformed hamburger patties from Costco; some frozen tater tots; frozen, precut carrots; frozen diced onion, and a large can of cream of mushroom soup.

Each scout gets a square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. They each get a hamburger patty, and top it with carrots, onion, tots, and mushroom soup. Hit it with some salt & pepper, hot sauce, or bbq sauce, then seal it up tight. Scouts can write their names or otherwise make their packet unique. Toss the packets in a cooler until you're ready to cook.

Heat up some coals, then toss the packs directly on the coals for about 15 minutes on each side. Pull 'em out of the coals, open 'em up, and eat.

There are endless ways to mix it up and get creative.

Yours in Scouting,

Cubmaster Pack 96
Webelos 1 Den Leader
i was about to say this! Armor burgers...we tell the newer scouts that we use Armadillo meat and they buy it.
theskier74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
TravisDTD
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I make burritos at home before I leave I usually make enough for 2-3 meals. (some breakfast style, some dinner style) Put whatever you want in them. I double foil wrap mine. Then in the morning or evening all I have to do it set them next to the fire or on some coals. No prep, no clean up. Hot food that everyone else will be drooling over. Bring some hot sauce if you like them spicy.

My Build: Bigger and Bolder LJ
TravisDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #21
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pre make some chili.
SDDAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
tbone616

We make omlets in zip lock bags and boiling water all the time. Easy to make and cook and no clean up! Just be careful the bag doesn't touch the sides of the pot.
tbone616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #23
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

if you have or can get a dutch oven, put some pie filling right out of the can into it, then top it with dry yellow cake batter right out of the box, then cover the top with slices of butter.

unhealthy, yes
delicious cobbler, heeelllllls yes

i learned this from my father on one of my many boy scout trips.

also you can use a grapefruit skin to cook eggs in. they taste like grapefruit but its easy and no mess just put the grapefruit skin right into a bed of coals.

also you can put steak straight on coals. its called caveman steak. just scrape the char off before eating it. delicious.

foilpacks are pretty amazing. you can make a million different combos.

if i have learned anything about food in my 10 years active with boy scouts and 6 years in the army...its all in the spices lol
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
TravisDTD
2004 LJ Wrangler 

^ Nice suggestions Ryan. Those are great ideas for boy scouts ; something new and with the use of what you have. I like it.

My Build: Bigger and Bolder LJ
TravisDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
captblue1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quick and easy. Put a hotdog on stick, wrap the hotdog with uncooked Pilsbury rolls. Fire will cook rolls and hotdog. Hotdog with roll all at same time.
Rescue Green Member #67
captblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #26
1991Wrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ramen noodle soup plus pre cooked chicken breasts cut up is great because it's one pot, easy clean up, and simple. That, a sleeve of saltines or rolls and you're golden. During my last year of scouts I finished my Eagle Scout Project, so I really tried a lot of new things to make in the woods, by far the best was fresh trout drizzled with italian dressing and pan fried. AMAZING.
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #27
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

also, you can cook any can of soup you want VERY easy with no mess. just take the top off and tear the label off the can. stand the can with contents in a pot of boiling water. dont want it crazy rolling boiling though as it will spill the can. can also do this with coals.

theirs a ton of different things you can make in a dutch oven. pizza, soup, cobbler, hell you can make a pot roast
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Great ideas in here.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt_ape View Post
sorry i didn't see your post sooner.

do a search for "hobo pack" recipes (like yjteen mentioned above). Easy to make, easy to cook, and easy to clean up. Gives the boys a chance to prep, cook, and clean up their own meal.

We pick up a pack of preformed hamburger patties from costco; some frozen tater tots; frozen, precut carrots; frozen diced onion, and a large can of cream of mushroom soup.

Each scout gets a square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. They each get a hamburger patty, and top it with carrots, onion, tots, and mushroom soup. Hit it with some salt & pepper, hot sauce, or bbq sauce, then seal it up tight. Scouts can write their names or otherwise make their packet unique. Toss the packets in a cooler until you're ready to cook.

Heat up some coals, then toss the packs directly on the coals for about 15 minutes on each side. Pull 'em out of the coals, open 'em up, and eat.

There are endless ways to mix it up and get creative.

Yours in scouting,

cubmaster pack 96
webelos 1 den leader
classic!! ...but I use stew beef, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, celery, carrots, spice...double wrap in foil..."camper's stew"

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #30
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How about the chocolate orange cake?

Slice off top of orange & spoon out insides (eat or save) keeping whole peel intact - make chocolate cake batter & pour in orange, leaving room to rise, foil wrap and in the coals! It's delicious! Chocolate cake w some orange flavor!!!!

The banana boat (already mentioned) is good too, can fill it with mini marshmallows & chocolate & nuts or whatever. My twin 11 yo girls loved both of these!
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.