quick and easy campfire meal ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > quick and easy campfire meal ideas

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
aaronm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

quick and easy campfire meal ideas

I need to take my son camping with his weblos den next weekend. Any ideas ideas on easy stuff to cook. There is one fire pit with about 15 boys and their dads cooking their own meals so I need some new ideas for easy meals.

aaronm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a cast iron 'hobo pie' maker, and make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Or pizza sandwiches. Very easy and kind of fun to make.

BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Take one large potato for each person, cut lengthwise into three pieces. Weave a slice of thick-cut bacon between the slices, and then wrap the whole spud in a slice of thick-cut bacon. Wrap in heavy-duty foil, set on fire rack or next to coals for indirect heat. Forget about it for an hour, except to turn once or twice during that time. The bacon keeps the spud from burning, and adds some wonderful flavor.

While the spuds are cooking, teach the kids how to make fire without a match.... that'll keep 'em busy for a bit.

Cook whatever else you have in mind (hot dogs, burgers, chicken, etc…). Pull spuds off fire, unwrap, add butter, enjoy.
Burlbook48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can put potato slices and carrots in aluminum foil with some hamburger meat. If you seal it with 2 layers of foil it will stay moist
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
aaronm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My son likes the pizza idea we seen that somewhere else. I have already done the hambuger and foil a couple of times so im kind of bored with. It is supposed to be in the fortys so im thinking about warmer food. So far im doing the foil meal again.
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
foxmb87
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJteen View Post
You can put potato slices and carrots in aluminum foil with some hamburger meat. If you seal it with 2 layers of foil it will stay moist
I use to eat this all the time when I was in boyscouts, I think we called it Hobo stew or soething like that.... it was good
foxmb87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
foxmb87
1994 ZJ 

You can cook about anything in a Dutch oven... although we normally just had our desert in there cooking while we ate our dinner. I myself really liked peach cobbler made from a dutch oven.
foxmb87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
aaronm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the leader always makes peach cobbler.
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronm View Post
My son likes the pizza idea we seen that somewhere else. I have already done the hambuger and foil a couple of times so im kind of bored with. It is supposed to be in the fortys so im thinking about warmer food. So far im doing the foil meal again.
Go with the hamburger meals, but definitely dress them up. Taters, peppers, lots of cheese make them a lot more tasty.

How about popcorn on the open fire...the kids will think it's cool that it didn't come from the microwave!

Remember to get the kids to "pack out what they packed in".
squibload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I premake Tamale Pie and freeze it. I use it for an Ice Load in the cooler then take it out and reheat it when I need to cook a meal. Pretty much anything left over that keeps well will be good for a couple of days.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

Do a search for "hobo pack" recipes (like YJteen mentioned above). Easy to make, easy to cook, and easy to clean up. Gives the boys a chance to prep, cook, and clean up their own meal.

We pick up a pack of preformed hamburger patties from Costco; some frozen tater tots; frozen, precut carrots; frozen diced onion, and a large can of cream of mushroom soup.

Each scout gets a square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. They each get a hamburger patty, and top it with carrots, onion, tots, and mushroom soup. Hit it with some salt & pepper, hot sauce, or bbq sauce, then seal it up tight. Scouts can write their names or otherwise make their packet unique. Toss the packets in a cooler until you're ready to cook.

Heat up some coals, then toss the packs directly on the coals for about 15 minutes on each side. Pull 'em out of the coals, open 'em up, and eat.

There are endless ways to mix it up and get creative.

Yours in Scouting,

Cubmaster Pack 96
Webelos 1 Den Leader

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
ms198
1985 CJ7 

the best meals we ever had consisted of fish we had caught the day before, rocky mountain oysters and morel mushrooms. all friend in nothing but eggs and flower and salt.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
aaronm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Me and my sons are planning on camping a lot this summer so ill be trying a lot of these ideas thanks eveyone
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
jeepers29
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of our family favorites is to put a couple of bratwursts 0n top of a pile of sourkraut in some tinfoil. Then add cropped potatos, carrots, pearl onions, peppers, and any other veggies you like. Season to taste, and double wrap in tinfoil. Set on grill for about an hour and 15 min. turning once. The kraut will steam the veggies and brats. Yummy!
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I love the foil packs and have done several, I like to make them up, keep them in the freezer and toss them in the cooler to go. Renoylds foil used to have a list of some great stuff.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.