pulling a pop-up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
pulling a pop-up

Any updates on your camper build? Have ya gotten the chance to take it out camping yet?

Here's a few pics of our recent acquisition. .

Attached Thumbnails
20150912_115000.jpg   20151006_181239.jpg  

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing! -E. Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20151008_183217.jpg   20151008_183314.jpg  

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing! -E. Burke
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

nice pop up. how does the the wrangler handle towing the camper?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
nice pop up. how does the the wrangler handle towing the camper?
Thanks. Getting it home was both rough and slow! That could be bc i was overly cautious and the trailer was at a funny angle due to not having a drop hitch at the time. A friend of mine gave it to us when he got a new camper a few months back. The registration and title both weigh it in at 2k lbs but I haven't been able to get it to the scales yet to verify that. From what I've researched, 2k is the max towing capacity for a YJ although I've seen some claim up to 3k. The wife's S10 Blazer can tow it but I'd rather not put the strain on the better vehicle if I don't have to. This has all lead me to consider selling my Jeep and buying a truck. Unfortunately I can't afford both a truck and Jeep at the moment.

I think the 1st order of business though is to switch out the fabrics from pink to something a bit more masculine... I'm thinking MO Shadowgrass or maybe some Kryptik camo if I can find material cheap enough. I'll have to start my own thread as to not hijack Pipelayer's.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
A few more pics.
By no means am I an expert, but that camper looks way big for the wrangler. It's not just a matter of towing capacity, but also a matter of trailer size, weight distribution, etc. With a tow vehicle that small and a trailer that size, I can see you getting into a situation where the tail is wagging the dog.....You really dont want the trailer dictating where the jeep goes, especially at high speed.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
By no means am I an expert, but that camper looks way big for the wrangler. It's not just a matter of towing capacity, but also a matter of trailer size, weight distribution, etc. With a tow vehicle that small and a trailer that size, I can see you getting into a situation where the tail is wagging the dog.....You really dont want the trailer dictating where the jeep goes, especially at high speed.
Vey true! I'll have to hook it back up and do some measuring but I recall not being able to see the Jeep's tail lights. That is one of the reasons I took it slow getting it home... I've had a trailer wag the dog on me before and it is by no means a fun trip... even short distances. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of swapping into a truck.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 01:56 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your S-10 has the 4.3 it wouldn't have any trouble with that camper.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewto...p?f=51&t=26137
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, it has the 4.3 v6.. I need to replace a few suspension parts but it will tow that camper pretty easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.