Project- brick skirting help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Project- brick skirting help

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Project- brick skirting help

I'm trying to resolve this in my head as outdoor recreation (gardening). It fits best here, me thinks! I have been given another project by the Boss. I'm sure I could muddle through it, but I want it to be better than that. Would some of you experienced brick layers/masons give a hand?

I have these planter boxes that we have used for several years. Wifey wants them off the ground where she doesn't have to bend over them. I also have this pile 'o brick. I want to build a nice looking skirt to set the boxes upon. I will have 4 boxes.

How do I prepare the ground and stack/lock the brick together? I'm looking for a no/low cost plan.

Thanks, All, for your input.

cimg0325_1.jpg

cimg0330_1.jpg

cimg0327_1.jpg

cimg0326_1.jpg

cimg0328_1.jpg

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not a bricklayer/mason but I've tackled a few projects in the past such as brick walkway and a patio made with pavers. As far as ground prep with a conern that erosion may buckle the wall, I would say at the least tamp it down and level as best you can. The ideal thing would be to put down a base layer of crush n run or the like.

As far as building upwards, they make a masonry type adhesive but judging from the size of those boxes you might need a lot of it. I'm not sure how it compares to traditional mortar but I'd think mortar would wear better. Also depending on what you plant in those boxes you might not want to build the bases too high or it'll be difficult to reach any taller plants. Good luck with the project!
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
petergrady08

Being from the masonry industry, I have a few pointers. If this project was mine this is what I would do.

First where your brick are going dig down about 5 or 6 inches, and pour concrete(sakrete will work) for a footer.

There's a couple different product you can use to lay the brick with. If you use masonry cement you will have to add sand with it. We recommend 3 parts sand to one part masonry cement. Or you could just buy the premix and just add water. Either way you go, you want the mortar consistency to be like peanut butter.

If you have any questions pm me.
petergrady08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Guys... Thanks! I wasn't thinking about mortar, and I wasn't thinking about a foundation. I can build the footer, no problem. The only "mortar" work I have ever done is pouring slabs or burying corner posts! I'll need pointers if mortar is necessary.

I was thinking of just stacking the brick (interlocking- mortarless), but if ya'll think I need mortar then I will do that. Will I have to have a double-walled or a single-walled thickness? Obviously, too narrow could be tipsy, but I was trying to be economical. Which was should the bricks lay? The boxes are 16" wide X 96" long x 12" tall.

Or would the bricks make a better BBQ pit??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Though it would require buying more materials I would suggest adding masonary cinder block as the inner wall and supporting foundation. As suggested a minimum of a crushed aggregate or concrete base slab and build up from there. It doesn't appear in the photo you have enough brick to build a strong enough base to support the weight of the planters fully loaded with soil.

Another option would be a post and beam style support where the post rise up above ground and the beam brings it to the desired elevation. Kind of like a mini deck build.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Post and beam... hmmm. I can do that! Obvious and over-looked. Thanks, Boss.

Unread 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Post and beam... hmmm. I can do that! Obvious and over-looked. Thanks, Boss.
Hey, no problem. With a little creativity you could extend the posts overhead and make a sprinkler trellace.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.