Picked a neat cheap gun today. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Picked a neat cheap gun today.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a neat cheap gun today.

I was looking for something a little bit smaller and lighter than my usual conceal piece, a Ruger SR9c. I don't like .380 so it was 9mm for sure, and I thought I had settled on the Kel Tec P11, but I wasn't too impressed when I actually held one, it kind of dug into my hand a bit and was pretty uncomfortable.

While doing a little research last night I came across the brand Sccy (pronounced Sky) CPX-2, and after doing quite a bit of research I picked one up today. It was only $259 and best of all, it's made in the USA, in Florida. It came with two magazines (one of which has issues with the follower sticking, I'll contact Sccy, I hear their customer service is great), and a trigger lock you can install over the trigger guard area, which I don't need, but some may like that.

The gun holds 10 rounds in the magazine, is DAO, not striker fired, and has no BS safeties, loaded chamber indicators, etc and being DAO with a rather long and somewhat heavy trigger pull, it's unneeded. The trigger is pretty smooth however, but AD's should be near impossible, unlike the Ruger, which I do use the safety on because the trigger is so light with a short pull. It's a great trigger for target shooting, but I feel it's light enough to possibly have an AD trying to get it out of my pocket in a stressful situation, I train with it on, so it's no big deal.

It really is a pretty nice looking gun, and seems to be well made, and beyond it's price point. We'll see when I get it out to shoot it. It's very light too, just 15 ounces empty, vs about 24 ounces for my SR9c and it's shorter overall. The width is pretty equal between the two guns, but the Sccy is very stream lined with no levers sticking out anywhere. Mine has an updated slide lock vs the older style that stuck out a lot more. I had a choice between the two, and chose the flat one.

And of course, some pics:

The bum magazine

AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking pistol. Post a pic of a target with some holes in it.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Indy

Sccy started life a few years ago as skyy. They went out of business, from what i hear for good reason. That being lots of lawsuits. They renamed and reopened selling the same product. But some people get lucky, so good luck with it. Hopefully you got a decent one.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't believe they ever went out of business, they just got sued for the name Skyy because it belonged to a vodka company so they changed the name to Sccy. I know of no other lawsuits. This model isn't actually the exact same thing that they originally produced, which was called a CPX-1 and it had a manual safety, and did have its share of issues. They still make a CPX-1 with a safety, but it's a second generation, like mine is, that apparently addressed the issues they had.

I think I had seen the name Sccy before, and just assumed it was some ghetto brand, but after really looking into it the other day after thinking I wanted a Kel Tec, I'm fairly impressed with it, enough to actually buy one. Of course the real test is how it shoots, and it may be a few weeks before I can get it out.

The gun is cheap (although it doesn't look or feel like it), and I'm really not sure I'd recommend it as someones only gun, and there are several reasons for that, not just the price. I have 17 other guns, so this one has a specific purpose for me, but I really don't "need" it, so if it proves problem prone, I'll give Sccy a chance to fix it (the gun has a lifetime warranty, not just to the original buyer), and if they can't, I'll get rid of it. I have seen enough positive reviews of the second generation models that I was willing to take a chance on it. We'll see, as it will have to prove to be reliable before I'll carry it, and even then, I only plan to carry it at times like riding my bike around, or if I'm taking a walk a night. It wouldn't be my "go to" gun regardless of how reliable it proves to be.
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My wife wanted one. It had to go back a couple times for quality issues. I wouldn't recommend it as a carry gun either, but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, it's ok. We got rid of it after a year.
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Indy

Hehe, ive got several inexpensive guns i love to shoot. Ive had a handful of cheap guns i loved to get rid of

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
impdcy63
2012 JK Wrangler 

Go middle of the road and get a glock
impdcy63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Nice looking piece. I have a philosophy about pistols...and that is....if I'm going to use it to defend my life, I dont want to skimp on the price because when I need it the most, I'm not going to be worrying about that extra $200, $300..etc....seriously. I want it to go BANG each and every time I pull the trigger. There are only 2 semi-autos I will own because of that philosophy. Sig or H&K . I prefer the Sig.

Yes, there are several other very good and reliable weapons out there for less. I'll agree to that because I've used them. I still prefer a Sig. 'Doesnt mean they are for everyone and I'm not trashing anything else. But Sigs have never failed me. Ever. 'No sense in changing what works.

As for resale, your top brands always bring the biggest bucks....if you ever sell one. The low priced brands...well, you usually cant get squat for them. There's a reason that Sigs cost $750 or more now. I personally think they are worth it....and would gladly pay $1500 for one, if I needed to do so.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Nice looking piece. I have a philosophy about pistols...and that is....if I'm going to use it to defend my life, I dont want to skimp on the price because when I need it the most, I'm not going to be worrying about that extra $200, $300..etc....seriously. I want it to go BANG each and every time I pull the trigger. There are only 2 semi-autos I will own because of that philosophy. Sig or H&K . I prefer the Sig.

Yes, there are several other very good and reliable weapons out there for less. I'll agree to that because I've used them. I still prefer a Sig. 'Doesnt mean they are for everyone and I'm not trashing anything else. But Sigs have never failed me. Ever. 'No sense in changing what works.

As for resale, your top brands always bring the biggest bucks....if you ever sell one. The low priced brands...well, you usually cant get squat for them. There's a reason that Sigs cost $750 or more now. I personally think they are worth it....and would gladly pay $1500 for one, if I needed to do so.
Me too, that why I sell them.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just a quick follow up, I had the Sccy out Sunday, the second time now I've had it out, and it has ran 100% out of the box. I didn't just sit and dump 100's of rounds through it as I have other guns I prefer to shoot, so maybe 150 rounds total, but so far it goes bang every time. I'm still having a little trouble trying to master the long heavy trigger pull, especially after shooting one of my Ruger SR's with the great, light triggers.

For those saying to get a Glock, or Sig or whatever, must not have fully read the thread. This is not my only gun by any means, it has a specific purpose, and so far it seems fine for that.

It was purchased as a cheap, light, occasional carry piece, and it fits the bill so far. It won't be a range gun, or gun that gets 1000's of rounds a year through it. I'll fire it enough to be able to trust it, and to keep practice with it, but that's it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.