North American Hunting Rifle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > North American Hunting Rifle

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

North American Hunting Rifle

I just ordered a barrel in 7mm-08 for a complete mauser action build. I'm using a Green Mountain contour 1 light weight barrel on a K98 action, with one of several laminate stocks I have, I have a few varying styles including a thumb hole. I havent decided the stock yet, figure I'm going to pick the one that fits the best after I have the 24" barrel on hand, which might shrink some as there is excellent performance from short barrels.

I plan on doing the bedding in the stock and working the old trigger into a nice crisp hunting rifle. My goal is a rifle that can hunt anything on North America, a balance right in the middle, something a tad big for hunting smaller game but not too small for larger game with thicker hides with a successful rifle/shooter combo. It sure isnt ideal for some bear but with hand loads with heavier projectiles in the 170gr range, I believe it'll work (not that I plan on bringing a pea shooter to bag a bear).

For finish I'm planning on doing black and maybe some FN green duracoat (I'll mute it some by adding some black to it) and keeping it as flat as possible with minimal hardener. I'm undecided on optics, that is going to be a true experiment.

Ammo is pretty tough to find surprisingly, for the 7mm-08 being the 3rd most popular .308 based cartridge (.308 and .243) there isn't a whole lot of it on the shelf anywhere, its not a problem as I load plenty but factory ammo is nice.

As soon as I get the barrel in a couple of days I'll get some pics up and try staying on top of a build thread.

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Indy

Id say ok up to black bear for pointy toothed animals. With heavy bullets, moose'ish for herbivores. For grizzley sized dangerous game, id stay home . 7-08 is on par with 270 so about the same limitations.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Id say ok up to black bear for pointy toothed animals. With heavy bullets, moose'ish for herbivores. For grizzley sized dangerous game, id stay home . 7-08 is on par with 270 so about the same limitations.
This
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.