New backpacking need tips tricks needed! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > New backpacking need tips tricks needed!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Practice packing, setting up/operating your gear, and striking and packing in your backyard. Better to learn how to do all this in the comfort (and privacy) of your backyard (or living room)!

And carry a little notepad or paper and a pencil. Make a list of stuff you needed, stuff you brought but didn't (and likely never will) use, and things you used of someone else in the group but would want for yourself.

aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
LesterM
2000 TJ Wrangler 

pack everything in gallon ziplok bags. it helps keep your gear dry.
my luxury item is a packable pillow. I hate sleeping on dity clothes.
Duct tape around your water bottle.
A first aid kit.
chocolate.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's sure different for me backpacking in az, but Ive been doing it a little while and have a system down. I never wear boots, Ive been doing all kinds of scrambling in trail runners my whole life and am just used to it. But since you live where its wet and possibly cold you probably want boots. Hmm, something that hasnt been said...

Oh yeah, how are you with bugs? I'm not a bug spray fan but I was recently in PA and I think that many bugs would always get to me at night without a tent. I like my hammock in AZ

Try to avoid any food that takes more that just itself and water. Depending on your pot setup you might not want to cook anything besides water. Drink mix powder is good. Instant coffee, tea, anything along those lines.

I always use a sleeping pad. Mines a thermarest self inflating but its really much bigger than I would like for backpacking. Sorry for reviving thread but I hope the info helps
ltk1144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^---- for Hammock goodness
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
kubbie
2002 WJ 

Put your fleece jacket into the stuff sack for your sleeping bag= instant pillow plus you'll know where your fleece is if you get cold. Bring a water bottle into the tent with you. Have a set of sleeping clothes. Nothing smellable allowed into the tent. Put your clothes into a compression sack then into a garbage bag to water proof it in case you take a spill
kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbie
Put your clothes into a compression sack then into a garbage bag to water proof it in case you take a spill
This is a good idea.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Some things I did:

Duct tape rewrapped around a Nalgene bottle. Saves space.

For clothes, I liked to pack what I could into gallon zip lock bags. Roll them up tight, then seal. Its like a small waterproof compression sack.

Hammocks are nice, but I always preferred a tent. Split the parts up between roommates. Splitting a 7lb tent between two guys makes it fairly easy to work with.

Dental floss works great as emergency thread. Get the unflavored kind. I've patched up a failing tent seam before, and never went back to do a more official job. Put a piece of duct tape on each side, and sew it up.
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW, in addition to a pack cover, I use a compactor or heavy duty trash bag as a pack liner. Everything goes into freezer ziplocks (quart or gallon), another trash bag (sleeping bag) or dry bags (camera, cell phone (~3/$10 at WallyMart). If I can't fit the sleeping bag (SB) inside my pack and I need to lash it to the outside (external frame), I put the SB inside a trash bag, inside it's stuff sack.
Before I bought into using a pack cover, I had poured more than a quart of water out of my pack after torrential rains on a trip or two. I haven't found a waterproof pack yet (or boots or rain gear but those are subjects for another thread!), however most excel at retaining water if it rains hard and long enough. At this point, I think I could drop my pack into a stream or pond for 5 or ten minutes and my necessaries (including food) would stay dry. :-D

Chewy XJ gave good advice, too. It's a learning process.
And pix or it didn't happen! :-D
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Ok how do you guys go about finding trails to hike besides the paved ones?
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just re-read this thread 2x now and figured I'd throw in a few items that have not yet been mentioned but are (to me) common sense. These are more emergency/survivor type of items/tools.

1. First Aid kit- depending on the remoteness of the area you'll be hiking will determine the size and supplies in the kit. Even if I'm only a couple miles out of town hiking, hunting, etc. I have at least a basic kit in my pack.

2. 550 Paracord: Restring your shoes/boots with it. A 100' length of it stows nicely in your pack. You can even use it for drawstrings in a jacket/hoodie or weave it and make lashings and straps for your pack. As a matter of fact, I'm working on some lashing straps for my pack now.

3. A good multi-tool such as my Leatherman Wave. At the very least a good quality fixed blade knife.... or both.

4. Items to make fire (emergency): magnesium striker, old perscription bottle stuffed with cotton balls and a few (5 max) waterproof matches... glue a small piece of fine/medium grit sandpaper to the inside of the bottle cap. This keeps it from wearing down as it would if you glued it to the outside of the bottle. Also if it's on the outside of the bottle it could tear up any other gear/material it comes in contact with... like a ziplock bag meant to keep your gear dry... ask me how I know.

...I know I'm forgetting a few items and I'll post up once I check through my pack again. I'm a big fan of hammocks as well but that's already been posted. As stated previously, it's not an exact science and only you will be able to determine what works best for you.

Octoberish, I want to hike through the NJ Pine Barrens for a couple days. Ain't scared of the Jersey Devil (lol). Then my next big plan is to start the AT with my brothers and cousins next year when I turn 35.... that's the plan.....
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Ok how do you guys go about finding trails to hike besides the paved ones?
Start locally at first... http://www.iowadnr.gov/Destinations/StateForests.aspx

State parks, forests and lands are all good places to explore. Growing up in VA we just walked out the front door and picked a compass point. I love the mountains and miss it badly! Here in Delaware, I have to call DNREC and get permission to camp in any of the state areas other than a designated camp ground. If we're just going for a hike, we frequent land owned by the state and not restricted to the public. It's a place to start.
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going into bear country know where you have your food in your pack.

When i was younger, we used to suspend our food on a rope between two trees.

I forgot some sunflower seeds in my pack one night, and when I woke up, all the rest of my stuff was spread all over camp.

Wasn't a bear, but tiny little raccoon feet all around my pack suggested those little bastards got in there and made a pretty big mess.

Could have been worse.

You also want to pay attention to your calorie intake, if you do enough miles per day, you are going to be more hungry than you are at home. Not sure exactly how to tell you to do this, because whenever I adjusted my food, I ended up taking too much.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.