New backpacking need tips tricks needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > New backpacking need tips tricks needed!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

New backpacking need tips tricks needed!

Hey y'all! I am hoping soon to break into the sport of backpacking and need some advice, tips, and tricks. I grew up in the outdoors and have been camping hunting and fishing my who life. The sort of camping Ive grown up with has kind of become boring and not much of a challenge anymore. When a friend from work asked if i would be interested in joining them backpacking i jumped at the offer! I began buying the things i would need (pack, mummy bag, etc). I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips to offer me as I embark on what i hope is a life long hobby.

Also if you have anrecommendationsns on trails in Western PA that would be great!!!

Thanks!!!

sreno0207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When you are packing your pack, take a step back and look at everything you are bringing and make sure that they are only essential items. Also no canned food, I know its tempting but remember you have to pack out what you pack in!
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The most important piece of equipment is a good pair of boots and taking the time to break them in.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

take a look at backpacker magazine online. There are always good tips on gear, trails, food and so on. Get in shape, start easy, and travel light.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

learn to cook one pot meals very well it will save you lots of weight. Do not have more then a 60L pack it will tempt you to bring more. dont buy into all the gadgets they are heavy BS stick to tthe basics. Screw a tent in the summer, spring and fall carry a hammock. carry a light stove I use a msr pocket rocket ( I own them all trust me). The heavyest thing you will carry is water if you will be near some get a filter I am using a msr hyperflow (great so far) if you do this carry a few Water purification pills just incase your filter betrays you. Carry molskin for when you over do it. I try to keep the load very light so i can use hiking shoes (you can move much faster then boots) I do this with a 40L pack.

Edit dont forget a gun around here we have cats and bears and probably mountain meth labs. If you are anti -gun (hopefully not) at least carry bear spray.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks all I am very excited for my firs trip out. I am having a hard time deciding on a tent, tarp, or hammock. I have been getting working out everyday for a few months now but have switched to 90%cardio now. I run as much as I can everyday now. I have also started to eat light I only eat until I don't feel hungry anymore and stick to only water between meals. I am going out with some people that have been backpacking for a few years now so I'm sure they will yeah me a good bit! I can't wait!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
sreno0207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Something I do to help distribute the weight better is split the tent up between people. Usually it is me and my girlfriend so I will usually carry the poles/stakes and she will have the tent exterior and rain fly
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

Set your tent up at home once or twice if it's new. Pack your bag with your gear, add more weight for any food you'll carry (don't forget water) and take a long walk a few times in place of your run that day. You'll find it much easier to adjust the pack properly and find potential problem spots instead of having your whole group stop for you repeatedly once in the woods. You may also find that you want to do more core exercises in place of some running once you've done this.
ATown17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

I use this http://www.amazon.com/Byer-of-Maine-...veller+hammock

Trust me when you sleep in a hammock you will never go back. I have a light weight tent but choose the hammock because it is lighter, faster to setup, and 10x more comfy. whats not to like.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
LJ-ROD
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hammocks are great as long as it's 60 + degreees at night. Even then you'll want a fleece liner or a blanket... you lose a lot of heat being suspended. For cold weather I've been using an emergency tarp folded hot dog style open toward the fire. Gives you something to lay your bag on and the heat reflection of the tarp keeps you nice and toasty.

Instant oatmeal and jerky make good meals.

Obadiah Build Thread -
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2005-lj-obadiah-build-1478051/#post14956502
LJ-ROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also when you are doing your walks and tarining, wear the socks and shoes that you will using for backpacking. This will get you adjusted and the shoes broke in.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Boots!!!!! Spend the $$$$$$$ and get a good pair.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
sprad42183
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
Something I do to help distribute the weight better is split the tent up between people. Usually it is me and my girlfriend so I will usually carry the poles/stakes and she will have the tent exterior and rain fly
That's awful nice of you to give her the heavy parts. Lol

Rampage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sprad42183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Its actually the lighter part with the POS K-Mart tent that I have.. I'm saving for a legit backpacking tent so I dont have to carry that pig anymore
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

I own a hiking trail construction company and have been in the business since the early '80s. Two important things I've learned in that time. Don't forget the Mountain Money, aka toilet paper. And Everclear tastes like crap but packs more punch to the pound.

Don't worry too much about getting everything right your first time. Each trip you take will teach you more about what works best for you personally. Bring your camera, we're expecting pictures.

Oh yeah, have fun.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.