Micron Associates: My week as an Amazon insider - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Micron Associates: My week as an Amazon insider

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
lukeshin10

Micron Associates: My week as an Amazon insider

It is the world's biggest online business. But with questions being asked about its treatment of employees, what is it like to work at Amazon? Carole Cadwalladr lands a job in one of its giant warehouses and discovers the human cost of our lust for consumer goods
Right now, in Swansea, four shifts will be working at least a 50-hour week, hand-picking and packing each item, or, as the Daily Mail put it in an article a few weeks ago, being "Amazon's elves" in the "21st-century Santa's grotto".

Read more: Micron Associates

lukeshin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The horror!!!

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So what's wrong with 50 hour plus work weeks? In my younger days I did that on occasion and it was called earning overtime. That was great back then when I was working hourly as an unskilled laborer. In an agreed upon exchanged, I traded with my employer my time for their money earned by selling goods and services to their customers. For me back then or now for Amazon workers, it's not forced labor.

I have an Amazon fulfillment center near my house outside of the city. They hire additional seasonal workers due to all that evil lust for consumer goods that you talk about (and I'm sure that don't participate in ).

They have shift changes when I go to work and come home each day from Thanksgiving to Christmas and have the local police department help with the added traffic. I'll note that a lot to the cars look like people driving in from the inner city (I have no proof of that, just my observation). At least these people have an opportunity in this Obama food stamp depressed economy to have a job and actually earn a paycheck. Or should they just be like the already 34% of working age American's that don't work at all?

Get a real job hippie!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Tiburon
2011 WK 

I have several friends that are "work camping" at Amazon in Kentucky. It is seasonal work, yes lots of hours but the pay is very good and includes overtime for any hours over 40 a week? They also get free parking and full utilities for their trailers. I believe this is their third year at this.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.