Let's talk camping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Let's talk camping

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Let's talk camping

So when I was younger I would camp all the time. I'm just now getting back into it and buying all new gear. I purchased a Kelty Yellowstone 6 person tent the other day for a crazy good deal.

Post up camping gear you use and pictures of your camp site.

Unread 06-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

No pictures, but I despise propane. Give me an old fashioned pump up gas stove and lantern, and I'm good to go. Last year, my dad gave me his old Coleman 2 burner gas stove that I had grown up with. Works so much better than the propane stove. For sleeping, I'm a fan of a self inflating air pad on an aluminum framed cot with a down bag. As far as pots and pans, don't waste your money on that fancy crap. Just go to your local thrift shop and pick up a 10" skillet (cast iron if you can) folding grill to put over the fire, a 3 quart pot with a metal lid, a pair of tongs, metal spatula and spoon, poly cutting board and a couple chicago cutlery knives from walmart, and you're good to go. I've seen too many people buy into the hype that the super expensive stuff you get from the high end camping stores is just so much better, when it really is quite inferior. The only time it is better, is when you're backpacking. That's when nesting and super light weight makes all the difference in the world. However, when it comes to making my morning coffee, I do not screw around.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm all about camping... Usually in making a drive to Colorado over the summer. Although this year's trip is to the Michigan UP (in September).

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from last summer. This was at 11k feet elevation with a million dollar view. We had homemade pizza that night.

I also have a new trailer for future camping (that is my signature... Junior). I've added some additional gear being that I now have more room!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
mitsuchick

grogie where did you go in Colorado? Also where are planning on going in MI? I'm in Indiana and have been looking into secluded places like that and it's just one of those can't find anywhere things.
mitsuchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
So when I was younger I would camp all the time. I'm just now getting back into it and buying all new gear. I purchased a Kelty Yellowstone 6 person tent the other day for a crazy good deal.

Post up camping gear you use and pictures of your camp site.
no pics off hand, but we do camp a lot. AND seeing as how you are in NJ, I'm working on getting some interest in a camping/Jeepin trip to the Pines before summers' out. There's a spot close to the trails that we can camp on the Wading river, tube from the campsite for an hour or 2, then walk 15mins back to the site. Cheap (NJ state parks are $2pp per night) and family friendly! Check on the NJ forum.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My camping has run the gambit from ultra-light canoe trips to wilderness canoe trips to car camping to small RV and to big RV. Biggest advice I can offer is K.I.S.S. for all types. When it comes right down to it there is very little you need to survive and remain comfortable. Don't try to take everything.

Second biggest is buy/use quality equipment. If Walmart carried the tent you are thinkin about than it's probably junk. That Ozark Trail camp stove they sell, skip it and buy a Coleman. Etc, Etc. Things don't have to be top of the line but name brand and reputable are a must.

One of the best investments a camper can make is his sleep system. A good and "thick as you can manage" self inflating pad is worth it's weight in gold. A good sleeping bag? You betcha. Cots can be nice if your truck and tent have room. Blow up mattress's? Couldn't pay me to own one. Another good thing to have at the end of a long day is a good seat with backrest. Backrest being a must.

On tent's.......... This is where KISS comes into play in a big way. I like to keep em of a manageable size and simple enough so I can set it up myself if need be. I'd rather set up multiple smaller tents than one large tent.

Now where I will suffer a lot of disagreement is on the subject of fire. I've found that in many cases it's more trouble than it's worth. If wood is dry and plentiful then fire is the greatest thing ever. Make it wet or make it a chore and there are better things you can do with your time and energy. Canoed a local river a couple years ago and an hour from camp it started to rain. Pulled in and being worried about fire we set out to gather wood. A hour later we are soaked, nursing a lame *** fire with wet wood and are tired. Should of just pitched our tarp and broke out the stove and tea pot (and whatever spirits I had with). Just one of many examples of fire being over rated.
L_Kilkenny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 6 person coleman tent I've had for quite a few years. Usually its just me and another person or two in my tent so theres room for us and our gear. Usually bring a cooler packed with food and beer and liquor. For cooking equipment I have a decent sized, but not huge, frying pan and your run of the mill spatula and a spoon. Usually get plastic utensils and just a roll of aluminum foil. Use to foil to cut on, cook in, eat on. To sleep I have a 25* mummy bag since it never gets too cold here in FL and a foam mat under it. I don't pack a lot of stuff since we never really need it since we are never too terribly far from humanity. Depending on the recent weather we will either bring our own fire wood if its been raining, or if its been relatively dry we will just find it. We always have a fire since it makes disposing of stuff easier than packing it all in a bag. We do carry out the stuff we can burn like beer cans and bottles and such.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Been camping for many years. Ran the gamut from so much stuff that it took two trucks to carry it all to a 25# sack on my back. I prefer the lightweight.

I still have a chuck box full of pots and pans. But I only use one pot. It's my fifty cent garage sale special. An aluminum 10"pot that is a frying pan/saucepan hybrid that makes a great cook everything utensil.

But I do love to dust off the old black pots and build the fires and fix a spread in the cast iron Dutch ovens. Just not travel too far with them.

Nowadays, I keep my stuff mostly packed. Ready to go. My next purchase is a kayak for a couple day river adventure.

My couple cents worth...save your money, watch Craigslist, eBay, and REI outlet and clearance sales. There are differences in quality, price, and functionality when it comes to brands. I like REI because I can go and pick up a pack, a bag, and start stuffing stuff in. The staff doesn't give any funny looks. I've had them help before. I appreciate their gear demo days where you can actually try it out.

Pack, make a list, go out and evaluate what you used, didn't, wish you had, wanted to leave in the woods cause it was nonfunctional but spent too much money on, etc.

I've moved from a 6 man tent to an ultralight 2 man that I use at last resort. I'd rather just hang a hammock or pitch a rainfall between two trees.

If you camp with a crew, coordinate who is bringing what so there are no unneeded duplicates. My camping crew jokes that a six man tent is called that not cause it can sleep 6 but cause it takes six men to set it up.

Which brings up another good point. Set up, use, and practice camping with your gear at home before you leave. Don't wait until its dark and you are tired to learn how to light that little backpacking stove or set up that tent. And do it in the conditions. If you are arriving late, and its dark, practice setting that tent up in the dark with a headlamp. Not only does it make the actual camping trip more enjoyable and less frustrating, but it makes your neighbors think you have finally, truly lost it.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer simple.

I use a tarp 3 of 4 seasons and a tent only em when it gets really cold. I've got a trunk that fits in the back if the jeep that carries all the cooking, shelter and sleeping gear (except the sleeping bags themselves) for the wife and i. They only get broken out in extreme cold too. Most of the time it's a pair of wool blankets. They're cheap, rugged and warm.

Cooking is in a cast iron Dutch oven and skillet. Nothing beats cast iron at home or in the woods.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
bobjp

Here is my car camping list:

Tent
Sleeping Pad
Sleeping Bag
Pillow
Blankets
Camp Lantern
Camp Chairs
Camp Stove
Propane
Dinner Ware
Dish Soap/Rag
Water Bottle
Cooler
Lighter
Paper to Burn
Toilet Paper
Baby Wipes
Towel
Soap
Hand Sanitizer
Bug Spray

The people who said, "Keep it simple" have it right. Do not over pack. Camping is a means, not an end. I've used that camping list many times, and I can never seem to add anything to it.

I also agree with the "fire is over rated" comment. I just went on a week trip through Colorado and never made a fire. If it's cold or you want to cook, go ahead. Otherwise, what's the point?
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0
Cooking is in a cast iron Dutch oven and skillet. Nothing beats cast iron at home or in the woods.
Amen.
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I keep all my camping stuff in a metal mil-surp trunk. It holds everything I need to have a comfortable camping trip. Comfortable is relative, because I think that people should be roughing it out in the woods. It makes me appreciate everything I have back home.

Stove
Kindling
Napkins
TP
Salt n pepper
Rope/bungee cords
Lantern
Propane
Tarp
Plates/utensils
Pan/cooking utensils
Soap
Collapsible saw/machete
Flashlight

If I'm going real light I just take an ALICE pack full of gear and I use a penny stove to boil water to rehydrate food.

I love campfires. They are nice to sit around after a long day.
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicalibro3
I love campfires. They are nice to sit around after a long day.
Agreed. Sometimes more trouble than they are worth, but very nice when you have the means to build a nice fire.
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You for got spam, its not camping if you don't bring with a can o spam

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhara View Post
You for got spam, its not camping if you don't bring with a can o spam
Don't laugh, one of our favorite canoeing meals is Red Beans and Rice with Spam. !
L_Kilkenny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.