Knife Recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Knife Recommendations

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Knife Recommendations

I need recommendations for two knives that meets these requirements:

1. For Personal Defense:
-Made in America
-Fixed Blade
-Full Tang
-Not serrated
-Decent guard to prevent slipping out of hand when, well if you don't know, you probably shouldn't be recommending it.
-Sheath (or at least name a sheath company) that will allow me to conceal carry it.

2. For Search & Rescue:
-Made in America
-Fixed Blade
-Full Tang
-Not serrated
-Decent sheath (will be stored in my Response Backpack)

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The Applegate/Fairbairn "original" fills both sets of reqs save one - you'll probably find it made by Boker, in Germany.

Boker blades, however, can usually be used as hammers, chisels, pry bars, turnscrews, ... And, I've had their big blades hold a damned-near surgical edge!

If you restrict yourself to "Made in the USA," you will be sharply limiting your options. If you open up and go the other way - "not made in China" - you're going to find a number of decent options. Gerber has many blades that are not made in China (US, Taiwan, and a couple in Scandinavia,) and they QC the Hell out of the blades that are.

Going with "Made in the USA only" is pretty much going to knock you down to the K-Bar (find a US maker, or buy surplus) or some Buck blades (good luck finding a pattern you like.) Maybe something by Ernie Emerson or Ken Onion (I'd go with Emerson - I've got one of his CQC-7B/LH folding knives that I trust more than most fixed knives I've owned!)

Your SAR/pack blade, if you want a clip point, would probably be served well as a Navy Mk3 Mod0 diver's knife - full tang, heavy pommel, 6" clip point blade, 2/3-serrated back for sawing. Comes with hard polymer sheath (probably not Kydex, but similar) with a clip for hanging off of an issue pistol belt - and you can get any of a number of sheaths for hanging it from MOLLE, suspending it upside down under your arm, or whatever (full hard, Nylon with hard liner, or full Nylon.) The cutting edge is not serrated, it's a saw back.

The M8/M9 bayonet isn't a bad fixed-blade (7-8" long,) but not as solid as the Mk3 Mod0. Similar accessories are available, and construction is similar.

All three blades mentioned (A/F, Mk3 Mod0, M8/M9) have decent guards short of the blade, and palm swells in the grip. I have the latter two, I need to source a new A/F (I like that knife pattern. I have all three sizes of A/F folder made by Gerber.)
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

These.

http://www.randallknives.com/
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas. I've been looking through several companies, Bear, Case, Queen, Buck, Schrade, CRKT, etc etc

I think I've narrowed it down to two for S&R:

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/1

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/166

Which of those two do you think would be best for S&R?

I'm thinking from a utility-knife perspective. I feel the drop-point will allow more sturdiness instead of a clip-point. Ideally, a wharncliffe fixed-blade would be amazing but I can't find any in production. Some people do have this tanto that I guess is comparable but I just don't think I'd like it.

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Ask to borrow it and carry around for a few days. See if you like it. We trade gear around the fire house all the time.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

One other option, check around for custom knife makers in your area. Might be a little pricey but usually well worth it and you can have it made to your specs. Here's a couple of skinners I made for a couple of people. I havn't gotten into survival/personal defense types yet or I'd offer to build one for you.
knives3-4.jpg

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
medicjeeper90
2014 JK Wrangler 

Not the best knife for personal protection but if you want to see a knife that's a handmade piece of art check out Hella Knives. They're pretty spectacular. Got one for my dad for Father's Day last year.
medicjeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you are looking for something that will fulfill the requirements of a specialty defense blade take a look at the Benchmade SOCP, get one along with the trainer blade if you really want to learn how to use it.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been very satisfied with my Becker BK2. For a SAR knife I think it'd fit the bill pretty well.

The blade is heavy enough to pry with without a second thought.

And in a pinch, you could bludgeon someone with it

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
06JeepLJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

For personal defense look towards the TDI Law Enforcement knife made by Kbar...(http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/76) I have been in a couple of classes for the self defense of first responders, as well as training in response to school shooting and active shooter training and have been shown how valuable this knife can be. I am by no means an expert, but when I see the trainers and the members of our local SWAT team all carrying it, it makes me think that it must work! I have had a little scenario based training in self defense and it is easy to conceal, in fact many of the people I come into contact with on a professional level are starting to carry it. With a little training you can easily defend yourself! I think you will find this knife worth a look. but just my two cents.
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Tiburon
2011 WK 

OP, ESEE knives meet all of your requirements. Check them out at ESEEKNIVES.COM.
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
One other option, check around for custom knife makers in your area. Might be a little pricey but usually well worth it and you can have it made to your specs. Here's a couple of skinners I made for a couple of people. I havn't gotten into survival/personal defense types yet or I'd offer to build one for you.
Cojab, what kind of knives to you make besides the skinners? i'd be interested to see what else you can do and what kind of pricing you have. Feel free to PM me.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Cojab, what kind of knives to you make besides the skinners? i'd be interested to see what else you can do and what kind of pricing you have. Feel free to PM me.
PM sent.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
RubiLongSox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

esee knives and ontario knife company check them out at smkw.com they have tons of options you'll find what you're looking for. Ontario makes the knives for ESEE but they are all made in the USA.
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:41 AM   #15
GNNR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiLongSox
esee knives and ontario knife company check them out at smkw.com they have tons of options you'll find what you're looking for. Ontario makes the knives for ESEE but they are all made in the USA.
++++ on the Esee! Fantastic knives with an incredible warranty.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
GNNR1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.