Kayak Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Kayak Mods

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Kayak Mods

It looks like i'll be duck hunting on the mighty susquehanna river this year. I'd love to have an 'outrigger' fabbed up for my kayak. any ideas?

lj

Unread 10-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Do you want it fancy or simple? Permenant or just for duck hunting? If you want it simple and cheap I would go with a piece of PVC pipe for the out rigger. You'll have to be creative as far as connections and support go. Best mod ever for my Kayak was a cheap boat compass on the deck in front of me. It's great for paddling lakes and large reserviors.
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
SapperPE

I don't know much about putting on an outrigger, but I've heard of the compass thing and my Father in Law did that on his ocean going kayak, it really is a nice feature. I also knew a guy who built (or bought) a little rack that went just behind him to put some extra cargo. Nothing big that would cause you to tip easy, but he would put a couple bottles of gatorade on it and some food for easy access. However, being behind him, it took some flexibility to reach what he wanted. All in all, it was a decent addition, but I don't think I would do it.
SapperPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
default_user
It's a Roobicon

check this out
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/art...ak_Articles=31
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

PVC outrigger mounted in scupper holes.

Used milk crate behind the seat to hold cooler tackle poles etc

A rechargeable 12v deer feeder battery to run some LED lights etc. can add a solar panel to recharge the battery for long trips. You can even add a 12v power receptacle for a phone charger or other device.

And my favorite for keeping cool...a 32" square built from PVC with a tarp attached to the top. It extends up from my milk crate where it is mounted and is adjustable to provide some shade for those long float trips. When not in use, it can be spun back or taken off. Kinda think bikini top for a jeep.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Outriggers made out of PVC mounted in the rear rod holders (if you have them) and make the floats out of the crab pot buoys. The foam type that are kinda cone shaped. I've even seen somebody that mounted them using a ram mount so they could easily swing up and out of the way for paddling, then back down when they were needed.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.