Jeep Dogs - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Jeep Dogs

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #61
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Here's Dakota at the beach

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #62
WKBoston
2006 WK 

Bia is actually very smart, we did some training (at petsmart) as a puppy, but nothing special She will do anything for a treat. She sits, lays down, will stay, high fives or gives you paw,she will wait, heal, sit every time we stop when walking and many more things... Leave it might be the best thing to train a bulldog. Like I said before I think we just got lucky, she will problem solve while playing, she figures out where you or other dogs are running to and will hide to cut them off or just run to meet you in a spot. She use to go to the door and paw to let her out to go the bathroom, my girlfriend would walk over and take her slippers off every time and put sneakers on, well she learned this, so she would walk over and paw at the door, as soon as my gf took her slippers off, bia would steal them and run around the house. Sorry for the long post.
Black WK Club Member #26
WKBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #63
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is Baja,

When we first got him (10 weeks)

A while later

and one of my favorite pictures ever

hes over 30 pounds now!

My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/MRpyrotyro
pyrotyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #64
GEARHED
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Two rescues, Ubu is lab/collie mix soon to be 13 yrs old, Rocko is also a rescue at 8 months old (now 5 yrs), AKC registered but the first owners neutered him
He would have been a perfect hunting dog but too many bad habits along with head shy so couldn't train him for good bird hunting. They love the Jeep, bought it primarily for them: fur everywhere? take the top off and hit the freeway for 5 minutes. Stinky? Bikini top in the rain in the driveway
Unread 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #65
moore14
2006 LJ Wrangler 

these are stats. not my opinion or anyone else.

american temperment test society results...
german shorthair pointer pass.... 76% of the time. with only 125 dogs tested.....
american pitbull terrier... 86% pass rate.... with 772 dogs tested....

take what you want from these stats....

and before you try to compile dog attack stats, remember that the US considers a handful of breeds "pitbulls".

another fact, the american pitbull terrier was once known as "americas dog". fact. not opinion. there were more pitbull owners at one time than labs and retreivers.

theodore roosevelt and woodrow wilson proud pitbull owners. thomas edison also. helen keller owned them.

no one feared or even talked about pitbulls until the mid 80's when they fell into the wrong hands and terrible breeding and cross breeding.

again, these are all facts. no opinion given.
moore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #66
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore14 View Post
these are stats. not my opinion or anyone else.

american temperment test society results...
german shorthair pointer pass.... 76% of the time. with only 125 dogs tested.....
american pitbull terrier... 86% pass rate.... with 772 dogs tested....

take what you want from these stats....

and before you try to compile dog attack stats, remember that the US considers a handful of breeds "pitbulls".

another fact, the american pitbull terrier was once known as "americas dog". fact. not opinion. there were more pitbull owners at one time than labs and retreivers.

theodore roosevelt and woodrow wilson proud pitbull owners. thomas edison also. helen keller owned them.

no one feared or even talked about pitbulls until the mid 80's when they fell into the wrong hands and terrible breeding and cross breeding.

again, these are all facts. no opinion given.

Kinda random don't you think?

I personally think Pitbulls are pretty cool and don't think them different from any other dog.
But I would probably not ever get one just for the simple reason that they aren't fat enough to keep my feet warm. Haha. My friends and I went camping awhile back, my buddy brought his cousins' pit named Smokey and he ended up sleeping at my feet but just couldn't warm them up anywhere near our old rotts or Alie (see above) did/do.

To kinda throw a wrench in it, I just remembered that smokey actually got put down because he snapped at his owners baby daughter. But unlike a lot of people (mostly the news), I definitely don't hold that against the breed.

Edit: and I'm not talking about Preacherman when I say people that hold it against the breed, I'm just saying a lot of people in general.
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #67
WKBoston
2006 WK 

I think it depends on the dog and the owner. Its all about socializing your dog. I go to lots of dog parks and its random which dogs are aggressive, sometimes a pit sometimes a lab, sometimes the tiny pocket dogs. I am not a expert on dogs by any means. I think the most dog attacks every year is the Lab, which would make sense considering there the most popular dog. Not trying to preach, just find it funny when people bash a certain dog because they heard a story once about an individual dog.
Black WK Club Member #26
WKBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #68
3Rotts
1985 CJ7 

Moore14,

Those are interesting statistics but I would like to know exactly what the criteria for the test is.

Example: the AKC Canine Good Citizen(CGC) test has you make your dog sit and people and another dog approach and a couple other things. In most cases as long as the dog being tested doesn't act aggressive they will pass. The problem with this test is, you can take a puppy that is 6 months old and earn the CGC. I have never met an aggressive 6 month old puppy. But what happens when that same dog is now 2 years old?

The Germans and most countries use what is called the BH or biegliethund(SP?). In this test the dog must be at least 15 months old. There is a heeling pattern that must be done while the dog is on leash and off. You also put your dog in a down position and leave. The dog must not move even though there is another dog on the field moving. Then it has a car(blows horn), a runner and a bicyclist go by and the dog must have no reaction.

My point is those stats are really meaning less with out the details.

As for the "Pitbulls", Gen Patton had a Bull Terrier and "Petey" from the Little Rascals was APBT.
3Rotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #69
moore14
2006 LJ Wrangler 

dogs must be at least 18 months.
Failure on any part of the test is recognized when a dog shows:

Unprovoked aggression
Panic without recovery
Strong avoidance

Behavior Toward Strangers
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to strangers in a non-threatening situation.
Subtest 1: Neutral stranger
A stranger to the dog approaches the handler, shakes hands with the handler and engages the handler in a brief conversation, ignoring the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's reaction to passive socialization and the dog's protective instinct.

Subtest 2: Friendly stranger
A stranger to the dog approaches happily and briskly, is very friendly to the dog and pets the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's active social skills.

Reaction to Auditory Stimuli
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to auditory stimuli and the dog's investigative behavior.
Subtest 3: Hidden Noise
The handler/dog team approaches a hidden assistant who rattles a metal bucket filled with rocks and sets this bucket in the path of the team. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the bucket only when asked to do so. The handler's focus must be on the bucket, not on the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to test alertness and curiosity.

Subtest 4: Gunshots
The handler stops at a designated marker with his/her back towards a well hidden assistant. The assistant fires three shots using a .22 caliber starter pistol (SHOT-PAUSE-SHOT-SHOT).
The purpose of this subtest is to measure the dog's recovery response to a sudden noise.

Reaction to Visual Stimulus
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to a sudden visual stimulus.
Subtest 5: Umbrella
The handler/dog team approaches an assistant sitting in a chair holding a closed umbrella parallel to the ground at a 90 degree angle to the approaching team. When the dog is five feet from the assistant, the umbrella is opened. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the umbrella only when asked to do so. The handler's focus must be on the umbrella, not on the dog.

Tactile Stimuli
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to unusual footing.
Subtest 6: Plastic Footing
Both the handler and the dog walk the entire length of a 15-foot by 6-foot clear plastic strip.

Subtest 7: Wire Footing
Only the dog will walk the entire length of a 12-foot by 3-foot unfolded exercise pen.

The purpose of these subtests is to measure the dog's sensitivity to unusual footing, its ability to recover from the fear of unusual footing and to measure its investigative behavior to the unusual footing.

Self Protective/Aggressive Behavior
Objective: These tests collectively evaluate the dog's capacity to recognize an unusual situation, its threshold to provocation, its protective instincts, and its propensity to realize when the situation becomes a threat.
Subtest 8: Non-Threatening
The handler/dog team stops at the designated marker. A weirdly-dressed stranger crosses the path 38 feet in front of the team.
The purpose of this subtest is to test the dog's alertness to an unusual situation.

Subtest 9: Threatening
The weird stranger advances 10 feet towards the stationary handler in a threatening manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's ability to recognize when an unusual situation turns into a provocation.

Subtest 10: Aggression
The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's protective instincts.

not as simple as most would think....
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #70
3Rotts
1985 CJ7 

Interesting. Do you have a web site for this? I would like to research this because this sounds more like a temperment test for potential Law Enforcement dogs than it does for the average pet owner. I say this based on the footing tests and the Protective/Aggressive Behavior test. I usually see these test for LE dogs and people that do PSA with their dogs. Also you would not see a Standard Poodle, which is a large dog, doing these tests.

The CGC and the BH are tests for all breeds and sizes.

Thanks for info. I work and compete in Schutzhund with my Rotties so I am always looking for new training ideas.
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #71
moore14
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.atts.org/testdesc.html

how did you get started in Schutzhund? that in my opinion is the toughest training you can put your dog through. that is a very tough sport.
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #72
3Rotts
1985 CJ7 

I found their website. I found a couple things odd;

Subtest 10: Aggression
The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's protective instincts.
The stranger is never closer than 10 feet from the dog. The handler's 2 foot arm and the 6' lead is added in for a total of 18 feet. Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog's training. A schutzhund trained dog lunging at the stranger is allowed, but if an untrained Siberian husky does the same, it may fail.

If they are testing the dogs aggression to protect himself or his owner what does being trained in schutzhund have to do with passing or failing?

The test takes about eight to 12 minutes to complete. That is not really alot of time to evaluate a dogs temperment.
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #73
moore14
2006 LJ Wrangler 

good question, i am sure they take into consideration what the dog is trained for. also, i would imagine unstable dogs would not be able to do schutzhund and they would realize that also?
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #74
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

We earned our CGC with our Shepard Collie Mix and we got tested by a person who followed the criteria to the letter.

I doubt a 6 month old puppy could pass it.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #75
moore14
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my dog also has cgc it was not too hard for him. he had to get that before he could get into therapy work. he is now a registered therapy dog with therapy dogs international.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/

pretty cool.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.