Hot shower while camping...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Hot shower while camping......

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hot shower while camping......

It just came to me…..they sell all these various types of hot water producing device for camping, for showers. 90% require a battery powered pump, which can on average produce 60 gallons of hot water before you need 4 new DD batteries. Here is a good option (http://www.hotcampshowers.com/zodi_p..._water_heaters) Most operate on disposable propane containers, although some work with larger refillable ones like for a grill.

One stands apart from the rest, it is a metal container that holds 3 gallons of water (http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/453), it can be heated up by setting on a campstove, or a special burner that comes with it. The reviews say it is easier to heat water in large pot on stove or fire and then fill it up. What is cool about it is then you pump it up to pressurize it by hand (no batteries, no pump).

So I start thinking…..hey I got two 5 gal containers that pressurize for home brewing (korny kegs)….they use CO2, my little CO2 tank last for kegs and kegs (not sure how many), but more that 12 (i.e. 60 gals) I would think. In addition, if I added super hot water to one, and cold to the other, you could blend for the perfect temp…..so experimentation will begin tonight.

CO2 tank doubles as a way to re-inflate my tires in Jeep as you all know. In addition I could rig the kegs/containers to be pressurized by my small 12V air compressor that is for the tires as well…..

So the PRO's I'm thinking are....
no batteries
potential to dial in perfect temp
more gallons than the one i could buy
Kegs double as fresh water storage/transportation
I already own everything needed

CON'S
have to heat and then transfer water
2 kegs are bulkier than the commercial options
NOT "unlimited" hot water (but even the "unlimited" ones only have a certain amount of temp gain, may require two cycles prior to desired temp.

Thoughts?

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

wht not just get a solar shower? PVC bag that heats up even when its cold out....

$10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5-Gall...ds=camp+shower

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

+1 on the bag, it also takes up a lot less space.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
wht not just get a solar shower? PVC bag that heats up even when its cold out....

$10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5-Gall...ds=camp+shower
Says the man with the sweet *** camper.....

Well, for one you need sun on the bag for it to heat up. The shower would be for me, wife, our 2 kids, and any of the other campers with us that wanted to use it.

I got all my stuff out last night to make sure everything was working, since i haven't brewed in years. Seals are still good on the kegs, CO2 is still full, regulators and blending valve still work with no leaks. I just need one "out" valve for one of the kegs and a shower head to be in business.

These are the types i'm talking about

Unread 10-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hot showers are nice especially when out in the bush for a week.

The problem for us Canucks with the solar bags is this time of year in my area it ranges from 40-55f.

Summer time great! But when it's 90-100f outside and camping I want cold lake water lol.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So last night I got to cutting/sanding/flux-ing my 1/2" copper pipe and fittings. I'm going to see if i can get hot water at the rate of 2.5 gallons per minuter for a Coleman 2 burner stove. So i'm in the process of making a "radiator" out of this pipe, 20" long 10" wide with 3 levels of pipe, each run is a 1" or so higher than the previous, so it will be about 4" tall. The limitation is the 90 degree fittings. I should have it all soldered up tonight, we'll see.
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
Says the man with the sweet *** camper.....
hey, it doesnt have a shower or a toilet!

And i'm having issues with the heater, too.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

i think it's an awesome idea... seems like it'd take up a lot of storage space though, and I already have the kids sitting on the sleeping bags!
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Dr. Marneaus;14251634]wht not just get a solar shower? PVC bag that heats up even when its cold out....

$10 bucks.

I've been using these for years and they work great.
I mean your camping after all, how much crap do you guys bring with you?
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
jmonier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You are camping, man. We are talking man-**** here. I lived in a tent for the month of october on the alaskan penninsula living off freeze dried food and you are worried about "dialing in the perfect temperature" on your shower. Man card=revoked.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is nice having a shower every other day, or so. Not to mention it makes the woman more willing to go along.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
eagleray

I just discovered this cool looking shower on kickstarter. I backed this project for $210 and will get a shower as a reward. Mounts on your vehicle rack...easy.

"With the Road Shower, you can have a hot pressurized shower on your vehicle. The water is solar heated even while driving.
Product Description

With the Road Shower you can have pressurized water wherever you go. It will heat the water while you drive and will be ready to give you a high pressure hot shower at the end of the day. Hot or cold, the Road Shower has many uses from the camp hose for dishes, gear, pets, or for extra drinking water.

Storage capacity: Holds 5 gallons of water good for 2-3 showers

Solar heated: Water can heat up to 100-115 degrees.

High Pressure: Can be pumped with a bike pump up to 15 PSI.

Safe: A pressure relief system is built in for safety.

Easy to mount: Included hardware for most all racks and factory racks.

Tough. Made from powder coated high quality aluminum.

Non toxic: You can fill it with drinking water.

• Looks great: Cool design, flat black color, and silk screen logos.
eagleray is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.