Home defense, never bought a gun? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Home defense, never bought a gun?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
woodsman58
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anything under 18 inches is illegal to have... The 870 is a great shotgun and has proved many times to do the trick.
Buy a trigger lock and keep it locked when not at home. always treat your guns as if they are loaded even if they are not. It's always good practice to do this. When transporting it in vehicle which is legal.......Check state laws ...always travel with action open and unloaded.
Go to the gun range and get used to shooting it. AND remember....never point a gun at anyone unless you are ready to pull the trigger. And always shoot to kill never wound anyone they will sue you. Make damn sure they are dead.
Let god take care of the rest.

God bless the USA and the right to bare arms.........

woodsman58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
glockfire

Heres an old vid I made of my 870 when it was close to stock...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0qQxtSa19Q

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #4
glockfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
NFA Fun
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman58 View Post
Anything under 18 inches is illegal to have... .
Wrong!

If you can legally possess a firearm and live in a (free) State that allows NFA weapons and the various types that fall into the category, you can own them. Just follow the proper steps in obtaining a Form 4. In AZ, if you have enough $$$$ you can own anything your wallet will allow that is transferable.
NFA Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
glockfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fun View Post
Wrong!

If you can legally possess a firearm and live in a (free) State that allows NFA weapons and the various types that fall into the category, you can own them. Just follow the proper steps in obtaining a Form 4. In AZ, if you have enough $$$$ you can own anything your wallet will allow that is transferable.
That is correct, in fact my father had 2 SBS 870s. 1 14" and 1 16 ". I hope to someday own a 14" 870 too, just gotta fill out the AOW paperwork and pay the fee.

Unread 04-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Anything under 18 inches is illegal to have... The 870 is a great shotgun and has proved many times to do the trick.
Buy a trigger lock and keep it locked when not at home. always treat your guns as if they are loaded even if they are not. It's always good practice to do this. When transporting it in vehicle which is legal.......Check state laws ...always travel with action open and unloaded.
Go to the gun range and get used to shooting it. AND remember....never point a gun at anyone unless you are ready to pull the trigger. And always shoot to kill never wound anyone they will sue you. Make damn sure they are dead.

EVERYTHING is legal to have if you have the right tax stamp

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #21
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

And always shoot to kill never wound anyone they will sue you. Make damn sure they are dead.

Im not too sure I totally understand this point, but the others are ll great things to keep in mind. We actually had 2 drunk kids right off campus messing around with a shotgun friday night and one got shot in the shoulder. Safety will be my first concern when dealing with any firearm. I still havent figured out how Im going to lock it up in my house but there will definitely be a trigger lock on it.
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
glockfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2000xj View Post
And always shoot to kill never wound anyone they will sue you. Make damn sure they are dead.

Im not too sure I totally understand this point, but the others are ll great things to keep in mind.
People sue, somebody in your house in states without the castle doctrine that you shoot could sue you for wounding them. A round is fired only when a kill is necessary.

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Bare arms

I strongly disagree with above statement. If you go out of your way to 'Make damn sure they are dead' you will be sued by the family and possibly prosecuted. Shoot center mass until the threat is over. If that results in their death so be it but you only have a right to shoot while a threat exists.

I also disagree strongly with the earlier recommendation to use #4 shot. Have you seen penetration tests on #4? You are right that over-penetration wont be a problem with #4. It will likely do only superficial damage. This in itself could stop the threat but not if they are determined. I would recommend 00 buck or a slug. 00 penetrates about the same as a .32 pistol so not much either but much better than #4. The slug can over-penetrate and must be used with caution.

As for the choice of gun, You can't go wrong with Rem 870 or a Mossberg 500 or 590. I personally like the Mossbergs better purely for ergonomic reasons. If you want to spend a bit more the Benelli Nova/SuperNova family is very nice.
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
glockfire

My favorite forum of all time has a nice little thread on shotgun penetration. It will hopefully put all the birdshot fan boys to bed. Use #1 Buck, 00 Buck, or 000 Buck and leave it at that.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Now, I believe in shooting to kill, but if your assailant is down and out of the fight, there is no need to execute him, but, train to shoot for center mass and center mass only.

Unread 05-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #25
pioneer
1979 CJ7 

I would have to agree that #1 or #2 buck should be used. Plenty of energy at across the room distances and a higher pellet count than double or single ought buck.
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
glockfire

For those who wish to use birdshot to defend themselves, I took some pics for ya:

9rd 00 Buckshot on right, Birdshot on left....

Buck vs Bird vs Quarter

Buck vs Bird

Unread 05-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #27
glockfire

Just a little update on the 870. A mesa tactical leo m4 stock. $150 from smartgunner.com.

Heres a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD-3Th0m9Jo

Last edited by glockfire; 05-11-2008 at 01:41 AM..
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #28
vwjarhead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rem 870. Can't go wrong. Smooth bore and 00 Buckshot with extended mag tube.
Unread 07-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #29
JKPirate08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2000xj View Post
That kind of advice will make "damn sure" to get you prosecuted! Shoot COM to STOP further aggression! Get training with whatever firearm you choose, not just safety, but "mindset" as well from a reputable source (i.e. LFI, TRS, or any number of others). While a shotty wouldn't be my home defense choice, that is another argument.
JKPirate08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never been in the situation but I think I would fire a warning shot first, get em motivated to GTFO that way I replace some drywall and no one dies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.