Home defense, never bought a gun? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Home defense, never bought a gun?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Home defense, never bought a gun?

This summer will be the first time for me in my own home. Last week our school was shut down due to a murder in the neighborhood I will be living in. There is a decent amount of drug dealing and have heard of a fair amount of robberies in the area. I am looking into getting a shotgun for home defense and I have no clue where to start. Im 19 so I am of legal age to buy one but I would like to hear from more experienced firearm owners what they have to say.

Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
NFA Fun
1981 CJ7 

A shotgun is a great tool for home defense. Personally I carry a Remington 870 that is pretty much stock except for a minor action job, speed feed shorty stock, and 12" barrel. There are no fancy gizmos or crap hanging from it. With the 870, or any quality pump shotgun they are very simple to use and clear should a malfunction occur.

Whatever you decide to buy, I would suggest going down to the range and try them out first. Once you have decided which one you are comfortable with and can manipulate smoothly, then sign up for the basic firearm class and then they basic shotgun class. You will actually find these to be quite enjoyable and will most likely continue going to the more advanced classes.

Another thing I would suggest to keep with the weapon is a high quality flashlight. Whether it is a weapon mount or not, you will need to be able to identify you target at night.

Once you learn the operation of the weapon and become comfortable with it, KEEP PRACTICING!!!

People have this misconception that you can just point a shotgun and spray out a huge amount of lead and cover a wide area. This is not true! At distance across the room shots, the spread might be 2-3 inches tops. So, well place accurate shots are still a must.

As for ammo selection, I would use #4 shot to minimize over penetration should you ever need it.
NFA Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Keelentime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get a Doberman.... we raised them for years, and they are great companions. Plus, they are about the best protection and theft deterrent known to man!!!!! Of course I have guns too

[QUOTE=robncar;5113545]It took me a while to realize urine was yellow and shouldn't have blood in it[/QUOTE]
Keelentime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A dog would be the first kind of defense I would go for but the landlord prohibits dogs. Royal pita.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2000xj View Post
A dog would be the first kind of defense I would go for but the landlord prohibits dogs. Royal pita.
Couple things to consider, Where are you going to be storing the gun when you are not home? You will need a larger safe for a shotgun as opposed to a pistol. You will also need to bolt the safe to the floor and or wall so it will not be stolen while you are away. A dog, will deter most burglars but that wont help you cause you cant have one,

I would invest in an alarm. so it will make noise when you are not home in the event somebody breaks in while you are away. You can get an alarm from Radio shack and hook it to you phone line and it will call you or two other people if you are not available. plus make a loud noise.

I like the shotgun for home defense. The 870 can be purchased cheap, withstand a lot of abuse.
An alarm plus the weapon will keep you and your things covered pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We will be renting so the bolting of the safe to the floor might not go over so well. I like the alarm idea with the call feature I will check that out for sure. What are some other options in the way of gun safes or security? Flatbroke and NFA fun, you have both recommended the Remington 870 and from looking at the site it looks like that gun is in the price range Im looking for. I was looking at this one:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ic_7-round.asp

It comes in either 5 or 7 shot, which would be better for what Im using it for? I saw that it is one of the most popular hunting shotguns as well. Do you guys uses yours specifically for home defense or crossover into hunting as well?
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

I usually have a loaded glock or a smith and wesson airlight 357 that I carry on my ankle, resting on my night stand at night. I have a couple of the 870s but my sons use them for upland game birds.

Quote:
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

I usually have a loaded glock or a smith and wesson airlight 357 that I carry on my ankle, resting on my night stand at night. I have a couple of the 870s but my sons use them for upland game birds.

I have witnessed the results of homes without alarms having their safes stolen from inside the residence. Some were bolted some were not, they were the heavy duty 4-6 sliding bolt type, too.

Alarms make a huge difference in the amount of time a would be thief has in your home.

Quote:
Haha

Russo
Unread 04-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-14-2008 at 01:32 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #10
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fun View Post
A shotgun is a great tool for home defense. Personally I carry a Remington 870 that is pretty much stock except for a minor action job, speed feed shorty stock, and 12" barrel. There are no fancy gizmos or crap hanging from it. With the 870, or any quality pump shotgun they are very simple to use and clear should a malfunction occur.

Whatever you decide to buy, I would suggest going down to the range and try them out first. Once you have decided which one you are comfortable with and can manipulate smoothly, then sign up for the basic firearm class and then they basic shotgun class. You will actually find these to be quite enjoyable and will most likely continue going to the more advanced classes.

Another thing I would suggest to keep with the weapon is a high quality flashlight. Whether it is a weapon mount or not, you will need to be able to identify you target at night.

Once you learn the operation of the weapon and become comfortable with it, KEEP PRACTICING!!!

People have this misconception that you can just point a shotgun and spray out a huge amount of lead and cover a wide area. This is not true! At distance across the room shots, the spread might be 2-3 inches tops. So, well place accurate shots are still a must.

As for ammo selection, I would use #4 shot to minimize over penetration should you ever need it.

Did you mean an 18" barrel ? or do you have the permit?
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

MG, one thing I would add, getting ready to buy your first gun, I'd strongly suggest that you take an NRA personal protection and introduction into firearms courses. The personal protection course will go over a lot of information from local experts (often current and retired LEO's). The NRA also has basic shotgun courses as well.

You can find courses in your area at the web address below.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Shoot straight and be safe.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will def. be taking classes along with the purchase. I want to know how to use my gun safely and properly. I also think the only way my parents would let me keep a gun in our house is if I take classes.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
MG, one thing I would add, getting ready to buy your first gun, I'd strongly suggest that you take an NRA personal protection and introduction into firearms courses. The personal protection course will go over a lot of information from local experts (often current and retired LEO's). The NRA also has basic shotgun courses as well.

You can find courses in your area at the web address below.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Shoot straight and be safe.
This is great advice. Another thing to think about is having the right mindset about owning a self-defense firearm, especially in your parents' home.

I don't want to sound preachy, but using deadly force is not something to take lightly...it takes a lot more than saying "If someone breaks in, I'll just shoot them". Any course will show you how to handle a firearm safely, but the better ones will also address making the decision to take someone's life if the situation arises.

There's a lot of responsibility that goes along with home/self defense guns, a lot more than a lot of the internet's chatter would indicate. Good luck with the decision!!
squibload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
NFA Fun
1981 CJ7 

ScotZ...its 12". It is a registered Short Barreled Shotgun.

mg2000, that is the one. If you ever wanted to take it hunting or int he field, it should come with a plug in the tube to limit the capacity.
NFA Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
glockfire

I have a couple of pistols, a couple rifles, but only 1 shotgun. When a bump in the night comes, my Rem 870 is the first thing I grab. Right now its got a Mesa Low Tube M4 Stock, Mesa 4 rd Side Saddle, and hopefully soon some trigicon ghost sights. With 8 rounds of #1 Buck and 4 slugs on the side, I feel ready for just about anything.

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #4
glockfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.