Guns... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Guns...

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Guns...

Well I'm graduating college this week and have decided to put the money I get towards a new gun(s) of course.

I currently have a S&W .357, a cheapo .38 special, and a Beretta Al391 semi-auto 20ga.

I want a new shotgun and was thinking about trading the Beretta in and can get good money for it but my dad gave it to me when I was 14 and kind of has a sentimental value.

I shoot skeet/trap about 3-5 days a week during the summer months, and was thinking maybe a semi-nice over-under, or get another semi-auto maybe a camo Mossberg that I can use to hunt turkey, duck and deer.

On the other hand, I could get a semi-auto pistol of some sort, I like the Springfield XD, or maybe a 1911. I plan on taking a CCW class in the next few months, so a pistol to carry would be nice.

Sorry for the long post, but what would you guys do? Trade in the Beretta and get a new shotgun and handgun? Or keep the Beretta because dad got it for me and just get a handgun? I have no idea what to do lets here some suggestions. Thanks for the help.

p-rev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
jtpaintball70

I'm a big fan of Glock and of 10mm guns... Can't go wrong with either choice... or both! :P

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
ajmorell

What kind of budget do you have. I wouldn't get rid of the Beretta, they are nice guns. I've heard a lot of good things about the Mossberg 930 and 935 but in the end you get what you pay for. Yes they will perform day in and day out if you take care of them but they will never shoot as nice as a higher end gun like a Beretta or Benelli (opening up a can of worms here). Sounds like you are pretty set in the handgun department, or that at least you can wait to have another. IMHO a 12ga shotgun is one of the most versatile guns out there because you can use it for everything from upland to waterfowl to turkeys to deer to trap and skeet.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
texashoghunter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck locating ammo for the 357 and 38. Ammo is in short supply everywhere. I starting stocking up last year before the presidential election. Glad that I did.

Reloading supplies are in short supply too. I reload my own ammo and have always had a generous supply of reloading consumables.

I do not go to the range as much as I use to though because of the shortage.
texashoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpaintball70 View Post
I'm a big fan of Glock and of 10mm guns... Can't go wrong with either choice... or both! :P
I shot a glock 19 a few times, and it was ok. I definately would go with a .40 or bigger. Hows the 10mm feel?
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
What kind of budget do you have. I wouldn't get rid of the Beretta, they are nice guns. I've heard a lot of good things about the Mossberg 930 and 935 but in the end you get what you pay for. Yes they will perform day in and day out if you take care of them but they will never shoot as nice as a higher end gun like a Beretta or Benelli (opening up a can of worms here). Sounds like you are pretty set in the handgun department, or that at least you can wait to have another. IMHO a 12ga shotgun is one of the most versatile guns out there because you can use it for everything from upland to waterfowl to turkeys to deer to trap and skeet.
The budget is pretty open right now. I love the Beretta but its a 20 gauge and I really want/need a 12. I just dont think the 20 has the range for various types of hunting, thats why I was thinking a camo semi-auto 12 gauge.
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashoghunter View Post
Good luck locating ammo for the 357 and 38. Ammo is in short supply everywhere. I starting stocking up last year before the presidential election. Glad that I did.

Reloading supplies are in short supply too. I reload my own ammo and have always had a generous supply of reloading consumables.

I do not go to the range as much as I use to though because of the shortage.
I hear that, I still have a pretty good supply of .38. But bringing up our great new president, should I just go ahead and get an AR-15 or some other assault rifle?
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Didley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the gun your dad gave, bro. You'll be wanting it as you get older as a token of remembrance if nothing else. Other than that, go with the gun that you will enjoy the most. Seems like you would get the most out of a nice shotgun.

But keep the gun your dad gave you. My dad first bought me a Marlin 30-30 carbine and I've still got it. Won't ever sell/trade it.

Good luck with the choice!
Didley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didley View Post
Keep the gun your dad gave, bro. You'll be wanting it as you get older as a token of remembrance if nothing else. Other than that, go with the gun that you will enjoy the most. Seems like you would get the most out of a nice shotgun.

But keep the gun your dad gave you. My dad first bought me a Marlin 30-30 carbine and I've still got it. Won't ever sell/trade it.

Good luck with the choice!
yeah the more i think about i realize i should, and probably will keep it.
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
jtpaintball70

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-rev View Post
I shot a glock 19 a few times, and it was ok. I definately would go with a .40 or bigger. Hows the 10mm feel?
My 19 is one of my favorite guns I've ever fired. But 10mm feels soo much better. A little snappy, but puts nice holes in things and is fun to fire. I use an EAA Witness in 10mm, which is a CZ clone that fires smooth.

EDIT: Here's the model EAA I have
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanfoglio_Combat

Here's a nice colt I want
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Delta_Elite

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Docprins
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-rev View Post

On the other hand, I could get a semi-auto pistol of some sort, I like the Springfield XD, or maybe a 1911. I plan on taking a CCW class in the next few months, so a pistol to carry would be nice.
1911's are nail drivers but hard to CC. A lot of people are fans of Glock 19's for CC. I personally use a S&W because the Glock 19 doesn't fit my hand nearly as well as my S&W. Also, assault rifles are always good to have around. The more the merrier.
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
aussiejeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keep the gun your dad gave you. Don't ever let anyone talk you out of it. My grandpa gave me his 10/22 and Remington 870. He passed away two years ago and I still talk to him everytime I pull those guns out of the case.

About a 12 gauge, I have the 870 and my dad has the Moss 590. Both are EXCELLENT guns for both hunting and home defense. I prefer the way the 870 feels though when you **** it and the way it bucks after firing, but again both are solid pieces.

Finally, versatility. For my 870 I have long barrel for skeet, short barrel and ribbed barrel for buckshot. I recently purchased a folding stock, ghost sights, heat shield, and shell carrier and bandolier sling for it. Within 30 min I can go from Mahogany stocks for showcase and skeet, to black composite stocks and laser/light combo for things that go bump in the night... so I can go bump back.

Good luck and let us now what you decide
aussiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
ActionJackson00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i would go for a nice over under. ive been wanting one for EVER...
the pump is fun, but the over under is just pretty.... and i only need 2 shots
thats right im that good.
ActionJackson00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
df19087
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am partial to the Mossberg 500 or a Rem. 870 Mossberg cause I have one, Rem. cause I shoot my brother in laws quite a bit both nice guns. But at the same time there are many other nice shot guns. Handguns I like
Sig cause of quality and reliability or Taurus cause of price(good bang for your buck deal) and I have one that I carry(Millenium PT140 PRO .40) Comfortable and easy to carry, shoots great not one jam yet.

In the end the choice is yours
df19087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
p-rev
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well im definitely going to keep the beretta, and i guess im down either a camo pump like this one of these:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...rfowl_camo.asp

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=128381119

and im still going to check out the mossbergs.

will a pump like this be decent for shooting trap? i would like an over-under, but i just feel like the pump will be more versatile for when im dropping ducks like its my job, and being able to add lots of accessories.

the handgun choice is still up in the air, ill be hitting up the range and trying out different pistols.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Guns - General Discussion (37 replies)
  • I like guns - General Discussion (13 replies)
  • Guns - General Discussion (45 replies)
  • guns - General Discussion (17 replies)
  • There go our Guns... - General Discussion (156 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.