Gr8Tops Roof Top Tent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Gr8Tops Roof Top Tent

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Texas16
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gr8Tops Roof Top Tent

Has anyone gotten or had any experience with the Gr8tops roof top tent? Their 2-man RTT is $850. Anybody?

Texas16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
Texas16
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cricket, cricket
Unread 02-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I either hammock or tent camp. I've strung my hammock up to the rollbar in the Jeep before... does that count?

No experience with roof-top tents other than what I've seen online. I like the idea of them built into a trailer system but IMO they are wickedly priced! I have Jeep repairs to make first!
Unread 02-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
PTee

I've looked tons over the past year or so at these. Lots of reviews from owners. The only consistent thing is that with the cheaper ones around the $800 range, they just have crap zippers and less friendly systems for putting up the windows. I think early some had a cheaper ladder or it was less adjustable or something. When used a lot they tended to need more maintenance. That's about the only downside I've come to as a conclusion. Never heard of Gr8 tops. But after a quick search they look like any other generic one.
I'm holding out for the pricier ones. Been zeroing in on the Autana Sky. But it's hard to pull the trigger on a $2000 tent. But mounted to a rack on my utility trailer with my quad parked under it. Just so convenient I'm sure I'm gonna pull the trigger this spring.

2010 WK North Edition 5.7 Hemi, QT2, loaded Black WK #102
PTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Tejas, maybe consider building a tear drop camper .

It does cost to much and is a heck of a lot better than a tent .

There are tons of plans to be found on the net .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't say on that brand. I have a Tepui Ayer on my trailer (link in signature) which is a two-man size. Tepui tents are priced decently and well liked so you might take a look at them. I'm happy with my decision for the money.
http://tepuitents.com

Also see this link on RTTs:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ts-and-Awnings

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
Texas16
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTee View Post
I've looked tons over the past year or so at these. Lots of reviews from owners. The only consistent thing is that with the cheaper ones around the $800 range, they just have crap zippers and less friendly systems for putting up the windows. I think early some had a cheaper ladder or it was less adjustable or something. When used a lot they tended to need more maintenance. That's about the only downside I've come to as a conclusion. Never heard of Gr8 tops. But after a quick search they look like any other generic one.
I'm holding out for the pricier ones. Been zeroing in on the Autana Sky. But it's hard to pull the trigger on a $2000 tent. But mounted to a rack on my utility trailer with my quad parked under it. Just so convenient I'm sure I'm gonna pull the trigger this spring.

2010 WK North Edition 5.7 Hemi, QT2, loaded Black WK #102
Have you heard of the Frontrunner Featherlite RTT? http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...-top-tent.html Apparently it has the lowest profile on the market when closed (<8" height). If I was to get a RTT mounted on my roof rack I'd want one that is as small as possible while still retaining good quality.

For now I think I'm leaning towards building a rear deck enclosure. Something that 1-2 people could sleep on inside of the LJ. I would want it to be able to fold into a shorter deck for when the rear seats are in and to be able to fold out all the way to the front seats when the rear bench is tumbled forward or completely removed. I've read that such a deck can be as long as 72" folded all the way out which is good for me since I'm just 5'7". Any thoughts on this?
Unread 02-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
PTee

no haven't heard of them. Only thing I see is the material is thinner (400 D compared to 600) and not sure how they are getting it a few inches lower. Maybe that profile is only if you don't keep your bedding stored in it. All the others, your pillows and sleeping bags stay stored in the folded tent. Just not sure how they can shave off that much in design, it looks the same as all the others. Just cheaper materials.
If you can put something together that works right out the back, go for it. That's a fun project. The tents aren't going away. I'm looking at them because I wanted it mounted on my trailer, not my wk. I also got a couple little boys, so I've been looking at the ones with full annex rooms that can fit cots below the tent. Probably for me as they will sleep up top with mom.

2010 WK North Edition. QT2, loaded with Hemi Black WK # 102
PTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.