JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Recreation (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/)
-   -   Glock 19 or XDM 9mm? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/glock-19-xdm-9mm-1466823/)

yellow04tj 01-21-2013 09:51 AM

Glock 19 or XDM 9mm?

Ok guys I'm trying to decide on a pistol. I have a XD sub compact .40 and I like it, but I'm thinking about reloading and it would be nice to have more guns in 9mm. I already have some 9's. I can buy a new Glock 19 from my brother in law for $500, or I'm thinking about a new XDM in 9mm. What's your thoughts?

chriskeenan 01-21-2013 10:12 AM

i like my XDm9, chose it over the glock.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...7041142744.jpg

go to a gun store, handle both of them and see what you like. Or better yet, go to a range, rent and shoot both back to back and see what you like.

yellow04tj 01-21-2013 10:19 AM

Your XD looks good! I like that green and black. I'm kinda leaning toward the XD because I really like the one I have. I just want less calibers to buy/reload for.
Did you get 2 mags with yours? Do you know how much extra mags are?

chriskeenan 01-21-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow04tj (Post 14826131)
Your XD looks good! I like that green and black. I'm kinda leaning toward the XD because I really like the one I have. I just want less calibers to buy/reload for.
Did you get 2 mags with yours? Do you know how much extra mags are?

Before the whole sandy hook panic they were about 25-30$ for the 19rd mags. Now, if you can find them, probably closer to 40-60$

the pistol comes with all this
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...3509678304.jpg
Hard case, lock and 2 keys, 2 mags, cheap plastic paddle holster, 1 small and 1 large backstrap (the medium one is installed already), magazine loader (really useful, the last 5 rounds are a pain to load manually), camber safety flag, cheap plastic mag holster, allen key to adjust the holsters, and owners manual.

yellow04tj 01-21-2013 10:42 AM

I'm doing what you said, I'm going shooting Friday morning, my Brother in law is letting me shoot 2 glock 19's. I will see if he can bring a XDM. (He works at a gun shop).

I would like to buy extra mags, I have 4 for my XD and I'm always reloading,

Does your XDM eat ammo well? My XD .40 will eat anything I put in it

chriskeenan 01-21-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow04tj (Post 14826268)
I'm doing what you said, I'm going shooting Friday morning, my Brother in law is letting me shoot 2 glock 19's. I will see if he can bring a XDM. (He works at a gun shop).

I would like to buy extra mags, I have 4 for my XD and I'm always reloading,

Does your XDM eat ammo well? My XD .40 will eat anything I put in it

its run everything i've feed it. Even had a friend drop a near full mag in the sand and put it back in and fired before I could stop her, it ran the rest of the day (~200rds) no problems, even full of sand.

yellow04tj 01-21-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskeenan

its run everything i've feed it. Even had a friend drop a near full mag in the sand and put it back in and fired before I could stop her, it ran the rest of the day (~200rds) no problems, even full of sand.

I'm sold, I'm going to hold the XDM today. If I like it I'm putting my .40 up for sale. My BIL can get me great prices as long as they have one in stock.
Thanks for helping me out brother!

Dr. Marneaus 01-21-2013 05:03 PM

glock.

it's a glock...

Also for my go to guns, that may be used in a SHTF situation, i look at mag availability. With an AR15, I can always pick up mags off of downed...uh...'zombies'...glocks are very common as are the magazines as well. It's not always about ammo availability, mag availability is something to consider as well.

Here's my G19.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/IMG_5428.jpg

ajmorell 01-23-2013 10:44 AM

I like the Glock better but one thing to consider if you plan on reloading is that you cannot shoot un-jacketed lead bullets out of a stock glock barrel.

yellow04tj 01-23-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmorell
I like the Glock better but one thing to consider if you plan on reloading is that you cannot shoot un-jacketed lead bullets out of a stock glock barrel.

Good to know, that's good info I never thought about. I'm going to shoot both this Saturday, I got roped into working Friday... Reloading is the real reason I want another 9mm. My wife carries a .380. So I would be down to just 2 calibers of pistols. I probably won't reload .380 cause she shoots the .22 more than anything

Vonguido 01-25-2013 11:05 PM

Personally I would go with Glock. I have both 9mm and 40, g19, g22, g23, g27. I have shot and owned XD's but never stuck with them longer than a few months, mags are expensive and parts can be hard to find.
All my Glocks are gen3 just by choice, no need for removable back straps.
Glock parts are cheap, mags are cheap, you can get the 33rounder in 9mm.
Plus they just run. I have used and abused my g19, I ran it through a Costa Ludus class last year and it had over 1500 rounds through it before I had to clean it, never broke down in class.
Glocks are simple.
I might also recommend the S&W MP 9mm great gun and comes with 3 mags from the factory.

CharlieHo 01-25-2013 11:16 PM

I had several XDs. I lost the striker safety spring out of my 45c once, called SA to buy a replacement. They told me I had to send it in to get a new spring for it.... WTF? :brickwall

I now have only one XD left, but, several Glocks. I can buy anything for a Glock.

yellow04tj 01-26-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonguido
Personally I would go with Glock. I have both 9mm and 40, g19, g22, g23, g27. I have shot and owned XD's but never stuck with them longer than a few months, mags are expensive and parts can be hard to find.
All my Glocks are gen3 just by choice, no need for removable back straps.
Glock parts are cheap, mags are cheap, you can get the 33rounder in 9mm.
Plus they just run. I have used and abused my g19, I ran it through a Costa Ludus class last year and it had over 1500 rounds through it before I had to clean it, never broke down in class.
Glocks are simple.
I might also recommend the S&W MP 9mm great gun and comes with 3 mags from the factory.

You have me intrigued, I really like the fact that I could get a 33 round clip for the 9mm. I'm shooting them tomorrow, I will decide soon.

Does the generation of the glock make a big difference? My brother in law has 2 he will sell me, gen 4, night sights, 2 mags. $500. Or a gen 1 stock with 2 mags for a little less. He never gave me an actual price on that one

CharlieHo 01-26-2013 10:08 AM

I doubt he actually has a Gen1, as they are pretty darn rare, but rather a Gen2, which is my preference.

I prefer the smooth front strap of the Gen2s. My fingers don't seem to want to stay where Glock intended them to. YMMV

yellow04tj 01-26-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieHo
I doubt he actually has a Gen1, as they are pretty darn rare, but rather a Gen2, which is my preference.

I prefer the smooth front strap of the Gen2s. My fingers don't seem to want to stay where Glock intended them to. YMMV

Maybe it was a gen 2, I'm not sure. Do you think 500 is a good price for a gen 4 with night sights?

The time now is 05:45 PM.